Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1TB Harddrive decided to die - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

1TB Harddrive decided to die

2»

Comments

• i would have gone with tesco £3 cheaper ^

Thanked by 1netomx
  • I got student prime trial on amazon, so I didn't really bother to look elsewhere. Drive prices seemed to be the same on ebay and some even more expensive.

I looked at Samsung M3 1TB USB 3.0 http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B008PABFX8/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewopt_srt?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=recent&reviewerType=all_reviews&formatType=all_formats&filterByStar=one_star&pageNumber=1 , but the 1 star recent reviews scared me away.

TarZZ92 said: i would have gone with tesco £3 cheaper

• DACDAC Member

I don't know much about this but reformatting will not save the drive completely. Maybe what you could do is try to salvage as much as you can right now and then swap in a new one.

• That's what I thought, I'll plug in my old and new drive(when it arrives) into my rpi and let the pi handle the file transfer while I do my thing on my laptop. I saved my most critical stuff on the laptop's drive already, so some of them will need some updates and the stuff.

Though, I expect the rpi2's on-board file transfer won't be insanely fast between 2 usb hard drives.

DAC said: I don't know much about this but reformatting will not save the drive completely. Maybe what you could do is try to salvage as much as you can right now and then swap in a new one.

• DAC said: I don't know much about this but reformatting will not save the drive completely. Maybe what you could do is try to salvage as much as you can right now and then swap in a new one.

There's no reason to go all lets-buy-new-hardware on this. What we know is NTFS got corrupt on OP's HDD, and that's pretty much all we know. Reformatting will place a fresh filesystem on it and it could have another few years of life in it. The reallocated sectors are pretty much normal. The main thing is to watch whether they stay stable at whatever value or if they creep upwards in time:

http://superuser.com/questions/26842/can-i-trust-a-hard-drive-that-has-had-to-reallocate-sectors

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited October 2015

Bit of a necro, but the new drive I bought(naturally, it was stock NTFS for windows users) had the same problem just after a few days.

I did shutdown a few times without "unmounting" the drive, so now windows xp on 128MB ram was running a chkdisk or whatever, which I've now abandoned.

I've spent quite a lot of time to find out how to attach a host usb drive to qemu and found these 2 useful:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/problem-passing-through-usb-devices-in-qemu-4175492519/

-usb -device usb-host,vendorid=0x03f0,productid=0x1312

Running lsusb gives you vendorid and productid of:

Bus 002 Device 010: ID 0480:a202 Toshiba America Inc Canvio Basics HDD

Replace that with the example and it bitches about wanting int64 characters/ranges.

So I googled around and seen this:
    https://www.treshna.com/how-to-find-usb-vidpid-on-various-operating-systems/
    sudo lsusb -v -d 0480:a202
    spits out this :

idVendor           0x0480 Toshiba America Inc
      idProduct          0xa202 Canvio Basics HDD

It turns out the whole int64 "conversion" I searched for pointlessly is about adding

0x

before the vendor and product id. So the uh, windows xp linux iso booted again, it recognised the drive but said it was corrupted/unreadable.

I gave it a reboot and will see what happens. It seems windows xp qemu style doesn't like a raped 1tb toshiba drive.

• Your HDD not that bad vs my

Examining hard disk configuration ...

HDD Device 0: /dev/sda
    HDD Model ID : Hitachi HTS547575A9E384
    HDD Serial No: 120917J2340020DK1RAA
    HDD Revision : JE4OA60B
    HDD Size : 715405 MB
    Interface : S-ATA II
    Temperature : 43 °C
    Highest Temp.: 55 °C
    Health : 0 %
    Performance : 100 %
    Power on time: 512 days, 17 hours
    Est. lifetime: 0 days

Still running I have it like this 3 months now :)

Maybe write 0000 would help your HDD but better buy brand new.
    I do experiment on my HDD how long it will work :)

• tomletomle Member, LIR

197 Current Pending Sector.. 0 200 200 000000000005 OK (Always passing) Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical
    The drive is dying, move all your data from it and throw it away. If you've got backups (which we all have, right?), then just get a new drive, restore from backups and throw away the old drive.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2015

If you want to keep most of your data on the drive, the very first thing to do: run ddrescue, and keep the drive powered off until then.

ddrescue will make a block-level copy of your drive, re-reading sectors where necessary to work around errors (on successive passes). Don't use dd first, don't try to mount the filesystem. Store the resulting image on a new, known-good drive (and don't forget to have it save the logfile).

If the HDD itself is good, then ddrescue will act like dd. If it has read errors, then it will skip over those sectors initially, and once done with the entire drive, re-attempt reading the bad sectors until it gets valid data out of them.

All further data recovery should occur from the image, and not from the physical HDD. If there is a physical defect in your drive, then attempting to mount the filesystem and recover files will just make things worse. Only manually copy files if you only need a small amount of data - if you need most of it, then a ddrescue copy is absolutely the safest approach.

EDIT: This is assuming you don't have a backup, of course. And if there's physical defects, you can always use it as a disposable torrent or scratch drive until it dies :)

Thanked by 2GM2015 singsing