Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

people who are looking for leb storage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

people who are looking for leb storage

skirtTightskirtTight Member
edited December 2012 in General

Why arent you using amazon glacier?

0.01 cent per gb

outgoing bandie is kinda expensive but if you're using it as a backup, it seems like the best choice

Comments

• Well at those times when you would need to retrieve the backup it would defnitly burn your pockets

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

And is not available instantly.
    Why not use a VPS at double the price, but it is always there and you can mount it on your machine too...

• It also won't allow you to install and/or set it up as you like. People that buy these VPS usually do have some custom needs and prefer the flexibility.

Surely Glacier does have an API, but it's different.

• Not instantly available.
    Charges for transferring the data.
    Charges for deletion unless the object is stored for 90+ days.
    The only APIs available are for .NET and Java.

Considering the charges for transfer and deletion, it ends up being about 5 cents per gigabyte.

• pricing : http://aws.amazon.com/glacier/pricing/
    OUT data transfer : $1.2 for 10GB

Not bad price for backup small files.
    But dropbox give it free for me

• "You can retrieve up to 5% of your average monthly storage (pro-rated daily) for free each month."

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

Doesn't sound good to me at all...

• I heard ipxcore is coming out with some new insane storage vps's soon cannot wait!

• lbftlbft Member
    edited December 2012

Glacier works for backups - but only if you can live with taking a long time to restore, and won't ever want to restore everything at once (or are willing to pay a hefty price to do so).

By long time, I don't just mean the 3-5 hour delay in actually getting your files, I mean the retrieval costs. Retrieving 100GB over four hours could cost $180, for example, while pulling 100GB over a month would cost $1. That's not counting the 5% per month (really ~0.17% per day) of free retrievals, and it's assuming I got the awkward calculation right. You get charged for your peak hourly retrieval multiplied by the number of hours in the month - so pulling 25GB an hour for four hours is the same as pulling 25GB every hour as far as Amazon's concerned.

$180 would pay for a year of 500 GB of storage at BuyVM with a 512 MB KVM VPS included, and you're not restricted to using it only for backups.

• Storage VPS -> Amazon S3 -> Amazon Glacier

• Because Dropbox just works.

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

They run on tapes, it's designed for long-term storage.

• mpkossenmpkossen Member
    edited December 2012

@lbft said: Glacier works for backups - but only if you can live with taking a long time to restore, and won't ever want to restore everything at once (or are willing to pay a hefty price to do so).

By long time, I don't just mean the 3-5 hour delay in actually getting your files, I mean the retrieval costs. Retrieving 100GB over four hours could cost $180, for example, while pulling 100GB over a month would cost $1. That's not counting the 5% per month (really ~0.17% per day) of free retrievals, and it's assuming I got the awkward calculation right. You get charged for your peak hourly retrieval multiplied by the number of hours in the month - so pulling 25GB an hour for four hours is the same as pulling 25GB every hour as far as Amazon's concerned.

This is why Glacier is perfect for any well-organized archive. It is utterly useless for backups, since backups are something you would want to pull instantly and at little cost. If one of my servers goes down I want my backups right now. However, I don't care about old school reports from 10 years back or my passed away grandmother's files: these can go in cold storage as the chance I ever need them again are minimal.

@concerto49 offers very good backup plans. I send everything there with duplicity. I'm still looking for a second location for backups (in Europe, not the US). I hope @prometeus' pricing will be published someday.

• @RobertJFClarke said: They run on tapes

From what I've read it's actually low-RPM spinning disks, surprisingly.

• @mojeda said: Storage VPS -> Amazon S3 -> Amazon Glacier

This ^^^

Glacier is fantastic for the right use-case...the product pricing reflects that's it's created for long term storage...so for personal use, the family pics, the 10 year old audio collection (although both amazon, google and others offer audio storage that might suit some better). As for retrieving your data, rate limit your retrievals and don't put stuff there you need yesterday;)

• I use megacloud, also great got 12.50GB atm, and still getting more

• We are actually going to start offering "Storage VPS Line". When LowEndBox decides to post the article. To start offering them.

• Dropbox is more than perfect for me; works seamlessly... ~60GB storage through my promotions from my Samsungs S3

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2012

@mpkossen said: I hope Prometeus' pricing will be published someday.

It is already done, plans are available as I said in the beta thread.
    From 50 to 200 GB, prices are 3 cents a GB for the small ones and 2 cents/gb for the 200 GB one.
    Ram from 128 to 256.
    I only keep them hidden to give time to ppl that participated in the beta to claim them as promissed, they will have priority.
    http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/6063/yet-another-storage-plan-beta#Item_83

• Take a URPAD !!!!!

• OUT data transfer : $1.2 for 10GB

Not bad price for backup small files.

But dropbox give it free for me

http://aws.amazon.com/s3/
    Dropbox is powered by this..... (I use dropbox)