Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

online.net - use a Failover IP on a Hyper-V VM!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

online.net - use a Failover IP on a Hyper-V VM!

Hello, need some help from this fine community,

Got a online.net server yesterday, and I have setup Windows Server 2012 R2 (aka @Joodle) and installed Hyper-V. I also got three Failover IPs, that they say that you can use for VMs.

Setting up the VM, I use the network card to the server (not the internal). Then I type in the Failover IP, Netmask 255.255.255.0, and Gateway xx.1, the rest is the same as the IP.
Using Google DNS 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4. (also tried with online.net DNS servers)

But do not get on the internet. I have looked at their guide, and there they say that you have to use netmask: 255.255.255.255, but then I only get an error.

I have also tried to generate a MAC (but you can't choose from Hyper-V, so I used VMware) but that do not work either.

Does this stuff all the time on Hetzner, both with extra IPs and subnet, so can understand whats wrong here,

Any online.net expert here?

My main IP; 62.210.xxx.xx9,netmask 255.255.255.0, gateway: 62.210.xxx.1

My Failover IP: 62.210.xx.xx3, netmask 255.255.255.0, gateway 62.210.xx.1

Comments

• NDTNNDTN Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

Please generate the MAC address (VMWare should be fine) for your failover IP and configure them first like this: http://prntscr.com/8m36tm
    then your VM network will work normally :)

• tomletomle Member, LIR

@myhken said:

My main IP; 62.210.xxx.xx9,netmask 255.255.255.0, gateway: 62.210.xxx.1

My Failover IP: 62.210.xx.xx3, netmask 255.255.255.0, gateway 62.210.xx.1

According to the link(!) you are using the wrong gateway.
    Your gateway for the failover IP should be the same as for the main IP and (netmask /32).

• @NDTN said:
    Please generate the MAC address (VMWare should be fine) for your failover IP and configure them first like this: http://prntscr.com/8m36tm
    then your VM network will work normally :)

Tried that with one IP, did not work..Thats the normal way I do it with the 3 extra IPs on Hetzner.

• NDTNNDTN Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@myhken: So maybe you should contact Online.net's support for help, as with all you have done it should work fine instead.

• amistleyamistley Member
    edited September 2015

I'm doing exactly as you want with Hyper-V. Here's how I did it:

1) Buy the Failover(s)

2) In the online.net 'console', click Server > IP Failover in the top right hand corner

3) Drag all you IP Failovers to your server with Hyper-V on it.

4) In the online.net 'console', click Server > Server List then click on your Hyper-V server

5) For each IP Address, create a VMWare type MAC address (I don't know if the type matters, but I know from experience VMWare works)

6) In the Hyper-V Manager, right click the virtual machine you want to edit and click 'Settings'.

7) On the left hand side, click the '+' next to Network Settings then click 'Advanced Settings. Choose the 'Static' MAC address type, and type the MAC address of the IP Failover you want to use for the virtual machine. Save the settings. Also make sure the VM is connected to your virtual switch.

8) Connect to your virtual machine. You need to assign it the following settings:
    IP Address 123.123.123.123
    Netmask 255.255.255.255
    Gateway 234.234.234.1

The gateway needs to be your servers main IP address with a .1 at the end rather than whatever was there e.g. if my main server IP address was 134.145.234.222 and my failover was 123.123.123.123 was 134.145.234.222 my gateway IP would be 134.143.234.1).

9) You should probably also use Online.nets nameservers which are at 195.154.228.24 and 62.210.16.9.

10) Reboot the machine and you should have network access.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • I tried Vmware, then XEN, then KVM MAC, and then it suddenly started to work. Don't ask me why, but with the KVM MAC and the IP setup you have explained, that I also have used all the time, it now work.
    Tested on all three IPs I have.

My next project: How to get my IPv6 /48 block to work on my Windows server, so I can setup a IPv6 subnet. Tried same setup as Hetzner, just with the IPv6 block I got on online.net, but no way I get internet access on IPv6 on my main computer (have not setup any subnet yet)
    Using a blue copy from my Hetzner servers, still no luck.

Any advice?

• No experience with IPV6 whatsoever I'm afraid.
    (digs his head back in to the sand)

Thanked by 1myhken
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Why not Proxmox?

• myhkenmyhken Member
    edited September 2015

@netomx said:
    Why not Proxmox?

Because I use Windows (my webservers is CentOS), like Hyper-V and since I moved my productions servers to Hyper-V 10 months ago, I have not seen back.

But still need help with IPv6...

Thanked by 1netomx

@myhken said:

I would love to help, but I find easier Debian + Proxmox and then you can create any VM you like, CentOS, Windows, etc...

• I have no problem creating VMs, Linux or Windows on Hyper-V either.
    And the backup features is really good with live export etc.

Can't see how this have anything with getting IPv6 to work on my main server running Windows Server 2012 R2.

@myhken said:
    I have no problem creating VMs, Linux or Windows on Hyper-V either.
    And the backup features is really good with live export etc.

Can't see how this have anything with getting IPv6 to work on my main server running Windows Server 2012 R2.

Just that,i think it is easier on linux side. Sorry to derail your topic man

• I´m having problems trying to connect windows virtual machines within hyper-v to the internet. Can someone give me a link or something to know how to do this? i´m getting crazy.

Thanks a lot in advance

• Hello,
    It is an old topic but stills.
    Do you have any solution for Dedibox - Proxmox 4 and 1 failover. Tried already all combinations.