Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google Compute
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Google Compute

Because I enjoyed receiving feedback on my Qualitative comparison of Linode, Digital Ocean and Vultr in January, I decided to write another review of my recent experience with Google Compute.

The purpose of this latest review was to evaluate Google Compute as a source of raw computing power to execute simulations. I found that, in my circumstances, Google Compute was hardly the cheapest of the alternatives for computing but it did have some advantages over buying or renting dedicated computing power. But I was surprised to discover that Google does not offer any access to technical support without a minimum charge of $150/month for their Silver support package. For me, this was a showstopper.

You can find the full Google review on my Wordpress blog.

Comments

• Thanks for the review.

Personally, despite being a "qualitative" review, I think you should include some numbers in your article, like in the old one.

And about pricing, and since you haven't used amazon, I think is just a little bit below the amazon pricing, but no idea about comparing the performance and the usability of the platform.

• breganasherbreganasher Member
    edited September 2015

Thanks very much for your comments yomero.

Personally, despite being a "qualitative" review, I think you should include some numbers in your article, like in the old one.

You're probably right that some "numbers" would help. If I can find some time, I'll try to add a few.

And about pricing, and since you haven't used amazon, I think is just a little bit below the amazon pricing, but no idea about comparing the performance and the usability of the platform.

I think you're also right about the pricing relative to Amazon; in fact, I read somewhere that Google was deliberately trying to undercut Amazon. But I always found Amazon too expensive and I found the Google preemptible instances with firm pricing more compelling than the Amazon bidding approach to spot instances.

• I had to contact google webmasters support via webmasters' tools when I bought a google penalized domain to have the penalty removed.

The domain had years of blog comment links and comments links from rocketpapershotgun.com, since the previous 3 owners were gamers and frequently writing about news and sports and so on.

The domain had good seo values and was aged too.

But I realised soon that Google wasn't indexing it, so when I added it to webmasters' tool, I got the Fuck You, Manual Penalty message from G and friends.

When I told them all the links I've looked at were manual comment links, previous owners' names as anchor texts, they came back to me with a canned fuck you do this do that and waste your time message.

I like google search and trends for information search and trends, news, but if you have to talk to google employees, you're likely to deal with assholes.

Plus their google webmasters guidelines is full of arrogant shit.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • @GM2015 said:

Completely irrelevant with the thread, for a completely different thing, which isn't even a service.

And next time, how about you don't get suckered into buying the Eiffel Tower? :)

• I commented because I had bad experience with google's support. And yes, webmaster's tools is also a product of theirs, even if it's free and no, I don't expect support, but you have to speak with them about a deindexed domain.

Yes, I admit the domain was a bad purchase, but I learned from it. The domain reg was the only cost to it, so cheap experience on that part.

Strictly speaking, this is true.  But what’s the point of proudly announcing that all customers get Bronze support when the key element is missing?  Notice that there is no technical support.  At all.  I only discovered this after I created an instance but could not connect to it.  I tried everything I could think of for about 20 minutes and then destroyed the instance.  I then created a new instance in exactly the same way and discovered that it worked fine.  I concluded that there was some sort of Google glitch.  I then wanted to (1) advise Google of the problem, (2) find out if it could be fixed in the future, and (3) find out how to get the charges reversed for an instance that didn’t work.  But there is no way to contact Google technical support at the Bronze support level.  None.  I’ve never heard of such a thing.  To me, it’s the height of hubris.  It’s as if Google thinks it doesn’t make mistakes.  I don’t know  how to deal with a company that operates this way.

To be fair to Google, I did contact Billing Support with my issues.  I was told that advising Google of technical issues through Billing Support was acceptable, that but I would not necessarily be advised of the outcome of any investigation into the problem.  I was also told that, since I was operating during a trial period, no accounting adjustments would be made.

And the only way to get technical support (ie. the ability to open a support ticket) is to upgrade to Silver support at a cost of $150/month.  Not impressive.

I’m also worried about the exaggerations in Google’s marketing materials and the arrogant approach Google is taking to customer support.  I wouldn’t want to depend on a company that thinks that minimal customer service is an add-on.

deadbeef said: Completely irrelevant with the thread, for a completely different thing, which isn't even a service.

And next time, how about you don't get suckered into buying the Eiffel Tower? :)

• Okay so this is literally just SEO for affiliating? How does this get through?

• Google and support? Does not exist. I needed support for YT (as a "publisher") and no one was willing to give it to me. Now I refuse to use google adsense because I certainly don't want to get fucked over something that involves money.

All their products contain the same arrogance and no support. Google knows everything better than you and if you have a problem, well fuck you!

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • There are countless stories of unique youtube videos getting taken down and accounts banned because of competitors' flagging from proxies and multiple accounts. Guess what google's reaction is.

4n0nx said: Google and support? Does not exist. I needed support for YT (as a "publisher") and no one was willing to give it to me. Now I refuse to use google adsense because I certainly don't want to get fucked over something that involves money.

All their products contain the same arrogance and no support. Google knows everything better than you and if you have a problem, well fuck you!

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

GM2015 said: google's support.

Google has support? O.o

• I don't know. Probably they've got an algorithm for that, too.

rm_ said: Google has support? O.o

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • I wanted to add that especially google+ showed google's ignorance. All of a sudden no one wrote comments on YT and reviews in the Android market (Google Play) anymore. How can one not instantly realize that?

But there are other things. Using gmail (or anything that requires a google account, such as analytics) is a complete pain in the asshole when you use any sort of proxy/VPN or travel a lot. You get spammed with "new location" emails and locked out and have to adjust to a constantly changing system (they lock you out, you wait for 2 hrs, then you can log in after telling them the "city you usually log in from" WTF).

Their search is still the best one, but that's only because all other search engines suck. That Google now personalizes the results based on if you are on mobile and your location and what you have searched previously sucks horse dick. If I wanted to find "pizza delivery near me", I would type in "PIZZA DELIVERY NEAR MYLOCATION" and not "pizza" to be then served results that completely failed the geolocation, or if it didn't then the companies still do not deliver to my area/zip code.

I could go on for ages about the constant and unnecessary changes, especially UI changes. Why would you hide the "spam" folder in gmail and not make it accessible easily? And then there's other google projects like feed readers, browser size thingies and whatever else you can think of. Sounds great? No, because google will eventually discontinue it anyway, so it's not worth using.

• aaand I wanted to add that I agree with OP's opinion that all this cloud shit is not worth using when you can just get a VPS or dedicated server for a fraction of the price and use it all year round. It is also very awesome for testing to clone a container on a dedicated server and then simply re-route the IP address.

And I like your posts and you should totally get a domain for that blog.

Thanked by 2rm_ breganasher
  • @4n0nx said:
    And I like your posts and you should totally get a domain for that blog.

I only write if people find the material helpful, so your positive feedback is much appreciated. Thanks.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • breganasher said: I only write if people find the material helpful, so your positive feedback is much appreciated. Thanks.

The things I expected to get views the least actually get the most views. XD With the right analytics scripts (can piwik do that?) you can also find out for how long visitors remained on your site, to determine if they actually read your post. I would not rely on comments, people only write comments when they are unhappy. XD

Thanked by 1breganasher
  • @4n0nx said:
    The things I expected to get views the least actually get the most views. XD With the right analytics scripts (can piwik do that?) you can also find out for how long visitors remained on your site, to determine if they actually read your post. I would not rely on comments, people only write comments when they are unhappy. XD

Interesting, thanks for the info. The blog is quite new so I haven't been tracking. Will have to do some more research.