Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you keep tabs on all of your infrastructure?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do you keep tabs on all of your infrastructure?

Right now I've got tons of spreadsheets and text files to keep notes on all of our servers. From simple stuff like Provider/IP Blocks to IPMI addresses, VPNs that have access, node config notes, who has access to what, etc.

And that's just for the dedicated boxes, work in a couple dozen more VPS's and it just becomes ridiculously hectic - and can involve a lot of searching through emails for provider details and trying to remember hostnames.

I'm thinking someone must've solved this problem already and for companies at much larger scale. Looking for any tips/advice on tools as well as a frameworks/best practices for keeping tabs on stuff.

Comments

• bruzlibruzli Member, LIR

we developed our own app in-house and we keep extending based on our needs

• Watching this thread for updates. In a similar situation, notes strewn over OneNote, personal wikis, spreadsheets and the like.

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • Notepad...seriously :) I keep a .txt file for each server with notes in a folder called My Servers.

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited September 2015

Keepassx.
    Hardcore mode, two separate major groups for servers and server providers. Providers group have the web login details and any notes. The servers group have subgroups divided into servers from providers 1 or providers 2 and so on. I got a group for home/personal servers and I also use a couple of groups per projects.

Password entries can also hold notes and attached files(eg private/public keys).

I don't have notes for ip blocks and such since I'm a noob.

This is fine for me, working alone.

Thanked by 2vimalware deadbeef
  • https://puppetlabs.com/ seems relevant. Both open-source and enterprise versions available.

Large community with about 3500 modules available on https://forge.puppetlabs.com/

• Google Drive folder with different project folders inside that, such as "Tor servers", "Project 1", "SummerHost 2" that can be shared with whoever, then documents inside those folders titled with the server hostname, due day and payment cycle, 1 for monthly, 3 for quarterly. An example would be "linuxthefish.net - 28.1" for monthly billing or "EDIS - 12.6" for semi annually.

Inside these documents contain the server specs, operating system installed, server purpose, list of usernames and URL's for accessing services. Below that, something like the providers name and billing URL.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • I use ASYD for my infrastructure. It has some bugs but the main developer does a really great job extending the software, fixing stuff, etc.

@William can confirm :P

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited September 2015

Fusl said: I use ASYD for my infrastructure. It has some bugs but the main developer does a really great job extending the software, fixing stuff, etc.

That looks nice, but not strictly what's being asked; the op was looking for suggestions on how information is managed, not the servers/containers themselves.

Unless anyone has a spot-on solution already, it sounds like this might make a nice little community project.

• Nekki said: how information is managed,

Using i-doit.

• For password sharing with other admins, lastpass, Keepass on a fileshare or http://rattic.org/. I've used http://www.i-doit.com/en/ for CMDB as well, and it worked quite well for a larger setup. Smaller setups are just in a Wiki, Confluence is top notch for that. Combine it with Gliffy to make network, datacenter and rack diagrams and you're basically done. Mediawiki serves as well at the cheaper companies.

Thanked by 1mike0000
  • This was asked before .. I know because I still have the recs up in my browser tabs:

But a spreadsheet, either online or local, works best for me.

Thanked by 1vfuse
  • GM2015 said: Keepassx.

Ditto. Containing:

• root logins that are never used (only if needed for console access when not reachable outside). Otherwise we use SSH with key authentication. If multiple users share access, we use sudo if required, for which passwords are also stored in Keepass.

• console, management and billing logins to the various providers.

In addition I try to keep the setups lean and similar using automation tools like Ansible or Salt. For naming hosts I have a rule set (think your favorite actors, the names of planets, etc.) that make it easier to remember.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Internal Wiki can do it too. I'm used to .txt files with the server name and all its information.

• Keepass + SpiderOak

Thanked by 1drazilox
  • We made our own app for this.

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

We use a internal Wiki/forum software :)

• deadbeef said: Keepass + SpiderOak

Anything to recommend SpiderOak over Tresorit?

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • Had a custom app for it, which is possible one of the best ways to keep track with everything instead of trying to jot everything down.

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited September 2015

@Nekki said:
    Anything to recommend SpiderOak over Tresorit?

Had not heard of them, will look into it. SpiderOak is the creator of Crypton (OSS)*, if you value that kind of thing.

Github link: https://github.com/spideroak/crypton

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • deadbeef said: Keepass + SpiderOak

SpiderOak as a paid solution or your own setup based on that?

• @wych said:
    We made our own app for this.

I don't think I could justify the dev time to the guy who cuts the cheques, perhaps in the future. Any tips on how you guys are organizing that data, cross-linking it, etc?

@MrGeneral said:
    Internal Wiki can do it too. I'm used to .txt files with the server name and all its information.

Wiki seems to be the route we'll be going, the txt/excel docs + evernote notes kinda/sorta works, but I'm working with 2 other guys who are becoming more involved in managing all the moving parts, so trying to stay somewhat in sync.

@davidgestiondbi said:
    We use a internal Wiki/forum software :)

Question to wych above applies as well, any tips on how you're organizing it within the wiki?

We use dokuwiki to manage part of our network of sites and it has worked well, just took a bit of time (and still is) to find our groove and what makes sense layout/linking wise to keep it all tidy.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @scy said:
    SpiderOak as a paid solution or your own setup based on that?

"Paid", but I use so little space that I'm on the free tier.

Thanked by 1scy
  • mikeyur said: I don't think I could justify the dev time to the guy who cuts the cheques

Just be creative with your justification ;)

Any tips on how you guys are organizing that data, cross-linking it, etc?

Joining on certain fields, nothing overly complex just 10~ MySQL tables.

We did use to use a wiki but I wanted something tab button friendly and with levels of data shielding.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

The enterprise IT world calls this CMDB - Configuration Management Database.

No large organization in the entire world does it very well - none. I've never heard someone say at a conference "our CMDB is excellent". They all moan about it. There is no good app for it. I've used them all and they all suck.

But big enterprises are trying to manage tens of thousands of servers, databases, network switches, and the relationship between them (this router goes down which means this end user app isn't available, etc.), auto discovery, detection and rules, etc.

Smaller shops use either spreadsheets or a custom DB, or something like Puppet becomes their CMDB (i.e., its focus is on doing stuff but because it knows about most of your infrastructure, you can also look at it to find things out).

Honestly, if your CMDB isn't available programmatically (i.e., you can query it) you're missing out on its power.

There seems to be a gulf between "Bob wrote this quickie MySQL DB we put stuff in" and "we have a $10 million budget item to buy ${GIANT_MANAGEMENT_PRODUCT} from ${LARGE_VENDOR} who is deploying 200 consultants to help us set it up".

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

In addition to my KToYS script, I use a custom script that keeps more information and uses automation.

1 2 3 4

I would love to open source that script but making the agent compatible with other servers would take a lot of time and money I don't have. :(

• @raindog308 said:
    The enterprise IT world calls this CMDB - Configuration Management Database.

How much do these things cost?

• SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep

Keeping it simple with a notepad. Notepad gets the job done.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2015

LibreOffice spreadsheet recording what's used for what, needs to be renewed when, etc.

Aside from that, SmokePing and my own custom ping (& E-mail alerts on downtime) script for monitoring.

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

I'm keeping track of all my infrastructure in my royal tsx document, it can store notes and the document can be encrypted. I'm storing the document on a cloud service and can open it on my iphone/ipad or other devices so I'll always have access to servers.

• It helps to decrapify everything. I realized that I don't need 20 VPS's on each continent, one dedicated server is very much enough.

Thanked by 1vimalware