Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Webmin/Virtualmin - CDN and Load Balancing
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Webmin/Virtualmin - CDN and Load Balancing

webcraftwebcraft Member
edited September 2015 in Help

Hello,

I've got 5 VPS in many different parts of the world (Singapore, U.S. West- and EastCost, Germany and South Russia). They're all running a more or less similar configuration of webmin/virtualmin. Clustering and Cluster-Slave DNS already enabled. For now, I used to have sites hosted at the server where I expect (from statistics analysis e.g.) the most visitors coming from but I wanna kinda improve it by having the content (some blogs and forums, not very busy) on all servers and serve the content from the server with the best connection to the client. However, if it comes to peak time in one region (because it's day time there for example) then the load could be balanced to some other server where it's currently no peak time.

The latter is more an example scenario but at all I hope I expressed it precisely enough what I wanna do that it makes sense and you can help me to realize it.

So any idea of how to do load balancing and/or cdn with the above given restrictions?

Thanks.

Comments

• Subscribing to this thread to get notifications of further replies.

• tenperatenpera Member
    edited September 2015

Put all the domains in Cloudflare, it will auto cdn-..

• webcraftwebcraft Member
    edited September 2015

@tenpera said:
    Put all the domains in Cloudflare, it will auto cdn-..

Do they cache all files?

This would decrease the load also, wouldn't it?

• @webcraft said:
    Cloudflare

They are terrible. I have used also the pro plan and still getting that f... Message cloudflare is up but your server down. Avoid it.

• @webcraft Yes, it does, it is the easiest way to do.

• i have never used their paid plan, but i wish that they would get rid of that stupid CF page that comes up. Im sure you can find an individual or company that can do this for you. Doing it your self will require quite a bit of time and investment.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2015

@WHT said:
    They are terrible. I have used also the pro plan and still getting that f... Message cloudflare is up but your server down. Avoid it.

That means you need to fix your web server and/or web app as it is not responding in a reasonable time frame to all requests.

That or network.

• Yeah, if LET cant fix it who could do it. Thats a bug on thair system

• Jar said: That means you need to fix your web server and/or web app as it is not responding in a reasonable time frame to all requests.

Yes definitely the app need fix (pic is not fake it's from case I got it) others got same too

• HaxHax Member
    edited September 2015

coolice said: Yes definitely the app need fix (pic is not fake it's from case I got it) others got same too

You can always check the status here.

https://www.cloudflarestatus.com/

There was an issue on Sep 23, 2015

edited September 2015

coolice said: Yes definitely the app need fix

Yeah but that's not the same as:

WHT said: Message cloudflare is up but your server down

As for:

WHT said: Thats a bug on thair system

The fact that CloudFlare cannot load the site from your server to return to the visitor should not have you first assuming that CloudFlare is to blame. They may be, when two points fail to reach each other for a web server request you should first deeply investigate the point within your control. It's no different than when a client tells you that your site times out for them, it could be their ISP but it could be your web server or app.

• I dislike cloudflare cause that even their network got connectivity problems that type of picture shown always blame the host for the problem....

I got that type of issues in the past (site behind it shows host down but addon domain in same account which not use it is open ok from several location at EU and I'm sure host not blocking them as i do the setup (not sure for network) but as they blame me I'll blame them :)

edited September 2015

coolice said: addon domain in same account which not use it is open ok

Example scenario:

One domain loads content from external source before returning headers to web server, external source is down.

This would allow another site on the same server to work while that website is to blame for it's own problem. Many examples could be thought up, and I've seen many. I've never once actually witnessed CloudFlare blaming the host where the host web server or application was not to blame, and remember I did this all day every day at hostgator for over a year. That isn't to say that it can't happen, but it's so easy to blame someone else when the problem is right within your own control. :)

Example 2 for kicks:

Website showing down has backed up MySQL queries (locked MyISAM tables perhaps) and is temporarily timing out, second website requires no SQL queries to load page.

• Ok thanks, but how to create ones own cdn and especially load balancer in the given scenario? ;)

• Found this on Stackoverflow

• Hide all your servers behind a single Anycast IP. BuyVM, for instance and use it as origin for your CDN.
    • Add multiple A records for your domain. The client will pick up one at random. If your DNS service provides Geo-load balancing, then that's awesome.
    • Compile NGINX with the GeoIP module, and do an HTTP 30x redirect based on client location.
    • Larger hosting providers come with their own load-balancers that also provide SSL termination. A safer bet to use one of them than try rolling your own - Linode/AWS
  • Does the LOC record for DNS does something similar?

• rincewindrincewind Member
    edited September 2015

No. Maybe it was meant to, when originally designed.

If you have a geo-aware DNS load balancer (like the major CDNs, and you are paying them big $$$), then when someone does a DNS lookup, the DNS server will return an IP address based on the location of the client. More details here.

Reading the OP again, it seems any one of your servers can handle all your users but the site is not responsive enough. Maybe you should spend some time and money on optimizing your application instead of hosting more servers.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Feel free to test our GeoDNS :)

• rincewindrincewind Member
    edited September 2015

@gbhouse : Rage4 has a free 250k tier. Nice!

But the site is a bit skimpy on details. Do you get Geo on the free tier? Secondary DNS?

@rincewing - you can use all our features on free tier also

• arpanjotarpanjot Member
    edited September 2015

@gbhouse. did you increase the free usage tier? read your post in July stating to double the free tier

@arpanjot - not yet, we are still working on new pricing

Thanked by 1arpanjot