Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Start bash .sh script with parameters on boot?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Start bash .sh script with parameters on boot?

FreekFreek Member
edited December 2012 in Help

I have a bash script (.sh) that I need to start on boot but it requires parameters. Manually one can start it by 'bash script.sh -start'

I tried crontab -e with @reboot bash /path/to/script.sh -start
but that didn't work.

So how exactly do you call/start a bash.sh script with parameters on boot?

This is on Ubuntu 12.04

Comments

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited December 2012

Just call it from /etc/rc.local - it's crude, but elegantly simple IMHO :-)

@BronzeByte - thanks :)

• /etc/rc.local

• keep the script at location /etc/init.d .. and then type .. update-rc.d scriptname defaults

this way your script will run on every Boot automatically ... tested on debian 6

• @marcm said: Just call it from /etc/rc.local - it's crude, but elegantly simple IMHO :-)

:P It's exactly the same on FreeBSD (get's launched from the /etc/rc.d/local script).

• Thanks, the /etc/rc.local trick worked :D

@fresher_06 I'm not very handy with rewriting scripts that call other files in other locations. Might solveable with a simple symlink nonetheless?

Anyway it works. Thanks for the fast responses guys!

• put yout script to /etc/rc.local

work on centos 5.8 and debian 6

• @fresher_06 said: keep the script at location /etc/init.d .. and then type .. update-rc.d scriptname defaults

this way your script will run on every Boot automatically ... tested on debian 6

I think you actually have to use a proper init script with the proper headers and such on it, lest debian6 starts flipping warnings at you. (though guess it'd still work).

• @kbeezie .. it actually worked .. as I have just created bash script .. with iptables commands .. ..save it into /etc/init.d location .. typed .. update-rc.d myscriptname defaults .. it does threw some warnings .. but it actally works .. might work on a normal script as well without keeping it in /etc/init.d .. just by update-rc.d scriptname defaults .. not checked the second condition though