Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you backup your LEB ? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do you backup your LEB ?

2»

Comments

• XiNiXXiNiX Member, Host Rep

+1 for attic.

• If I may ask, any reviews for bacula as backup application?

• I use a preventive approach. No important data is stored on a "low end box".

For important things, various custom scripts, generally based on making a squashfs archive on LUKS, put on a LiveCD (=DVD or BluRay depending on size) with all necessary tools to mount already installed so I can guaranteed access my files without dependence on the Internet.

• Looks like Attic's development has stalled and BorgBackup has been forked in it's place. Kind of sad.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @ATHK said:
    I rsync all my specific files to a storage VPS which sends it off to DropBox.

Is that VPS a Linux box? And does Dropbox have official Linux sync now? Last time I checked the third party tool, it wasn't stable.

• It didn't really work for me when I tried to run it a digitalocean vm with vnc server on it. It installed somehow, got to the point of logging in with the desktop client, but the characters I entered were from a different planet.

I for example typed my login details:

[email protected]
    secretssaucepassword

And it input nonsense characters on the desktop client's input fields. So I gave up on it after trying it.
    Like you entered "L" and it show typed an entirely different character to the client.

TheOnlyDK said: Is that VPS a Linux box? And does Dropbox have official Linux sync now? Last time I checked the third party tool, it wasn't stable.

• I think cron + rsync is the way to go.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • @TheOnlyDK said:
    Is that VPS a Linux box? And does Dropbox have official Linux sync now? Last time I checked the third party tool, it wasn't stable.

Yes Linux, DropBox has had a Linux cli client for years I mean over 3 at least.. It works perfectly fine, however, for me running the program on each box is pointless and I'm better off with rclone.

Thanked by 1TheOnlyDK
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited September 2015

Backup? Nah, I live on the lowend edge.

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • Thank you very much guys for many new awesome tools!

• MridulMridul Member
    edited September 2015

Thank you every for their awesome tools. Im planning to test a few immeditately.

• I def plan on trying out Attic soon

• XiNiXXiNiX Member, Host Rep
    Thanked by 1Mridul
  • This is a great guide for Duplicity (Incremental Backups, Amazon S3, Full GPG Encryption)
    https://gist.github.com/janikvonrotz/9410478