Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New version of Putty (v0.65 released 2015-07-25)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New version of Putty (v0.65 released 2015-07-25)

I rarely check for new versions of putty since they don't seem to be released often, but I just checked today and noticed it's up to v0.65, just released a few months ago.

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

I'm still using putty after all these years, though I did start using it with mtputty for tabbed windows. Now I wish mtputty were in more active development (last release was in 2012).

Comments

• I use a Mixture of RoyalTS, Putty and openSSH thesedays.

From the windows machines either RoyalTS or Putty (Depends if i can be bothered to open Royal or if I just want to quickly jump on something)

• i switched to kitty, that's a port, active maintained with a few useful addons, a few years ago http://www.9bis.net/kitty/

• Im using MobaXterm and XShell5

• @dragon2611 said:
    I use a Mixture of RoyalTS, Putty and openSSH thesedays.

From the windows machines either RoyalTS or Putty (Depends if i can be bothered to open Royal or if I just want to quickly jump on something)

Too much complication, why not use cygwin?

• I'm using XShell 5 w/ Xftp 5

Thanked by 2deadbeef getvps
  • @marrco said:
    i switched to kitty, that's a port, active maintained with a few useful addons, a few years ago http://www.9bis.net/kitty/

kitty looks interesting, but seems to lack the tabbed windows that I've gotten used to with mtputty.

• Thanks for the info, I'm hardcore and still using Putty also.

• @EkaatyLinux said:
    Too much complication, why not use cygwin?

Because I like the way royalTS handles tabs/multiple sessions. I tend to have putty on my windows machines so it's a bit more convienient if I just want to jump onto a host.

I use openSSH when I'm on a Mac or a Linux box because it's already there and works.

• putty ftw! ;-)

• If only there was something as amazing as iterm2 for Windows

• Bitvise ssh tunnelier

• XShell5 rocks.

Thanked by 1sin
  • kingpinkingpin Member
    edited September 2015

I wish there was the auto-reconnect after connection failure feature like one found in PuTTYTray.

• If you use mtputty (it still uses putty underneath), there's an option to display a reconnect button if you get disconnected.

• mRemoteNG + putty + pageant

• Putty + WinSCP here…

• coming from Windows, never could get used to the likes of vi or nano,

• plus works as a quasi-CP for file manipulation and changing permissions,

• takes care of all interaction with a server - haven't bothered with any ftp server for ages,

• prefer old putty over newer, admittedly more feature rich options, because it's easier to find info on how to configure cool custom stuff like socks, tunnelling, automation, etc.

• I switched from putty/kitty/mremoteng to cygwin with tmux for ssh session management. It feels better for me to be able to do session switches via tmux keybinds I'm used to.

• NeoXiDNeoXiD Member
    edited September 2015

@Setsura said:
    I switched from putty/kitty/mremoteng to cygwin with tmux for ssh session management. It feels better for me to be able to do session switches via tmux keybinds I'm used to.

Similar situation here, used PuTTY, KiTTY and RoyalTS in the past. Now I'm just using a single fullscreen KiTTY session connecting to my Raspberry Pi. Thanks to tmux, I have awesome windows, panels and when the connection gets dropped, all SSH sessions, tasks and so on stay alive. Jumphosts rock. The Pi even has a little UPS which can keep it alive for around 2 hours and it's fully controlled by myself.

You don't even have to put the SSH keys on your jumphost, there's a wonderful technology called SSH agent forwarding. Also, for KeePass users there's KeeAgent, so that you can store SSH keys in your database which will get them automatically loaded and unloaded.

Thanked by 1kingpin
  • SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited September 2015

@NeoXiD said:

I may do this since I have a spare small pi-like device sitting around doing nothing. I could get it a small UPS and use it as my ssh manager thingy, in theory it should never go down.