Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

why someone advice no 1&1?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

why someone advice no 1&1?

I'm searching for cheap domain, and found some article about 1&1 $0.99 domain,
but the replies show most people don't advice it.
what's the reason?

Comments

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

Because:

1. It takes time to register.
    2. It takes time to update NameServer.
    3. No Customer Support

Inspite of All this, I use this & take My Domains transferred away after 60 Days :-)

• @Nickman said:
    I'm searching for cheap domain, and found some article about 1&1 $0.99 domain,
    but the replies show most people don't advice it.
    what's the reason?

I found that renewal was next to impossible for some reason the system had no option to do so.

Support was horrendous.

They wouldn't let me transfer the domain out, failed to send me EPP code..

• I purchased from them, and transferred away. Three years later I got a letter from a collection agency demanding that I pay for the three years I wasn't with them. I threatened to call the police on them, and they dropped the charge.

• If you pay with PayPal they will constantly bombard you saying your payment method was declined in an attempt to get you to use credit card

@ATHK said:
    They wouldn't let me transfer the domain out, failed to send me EPP code..

I don't know when you used but the EPP Code is given right in the Control Panel. No need to send it anywhere.

Some rules to get Domains from 1&1:

1. Never use Credit Card, Never !
    2. Use PayPal, they would set the Payment to Pre-approved Payment. After the order is confirmed, make sure to cancel the subscription from PayPal & you're Okay.
    3. Also from the Control Panel, disable Auto-Renew.
    Thanked by 1howardsl2
  • Horrible control panel

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • Horrible control panel, better collections agency response than customer service, they'll mislead you saying they have control of the domains in a collections attempt and it's just a gimmick. Nothing good will ever come from signing up with 1and1.

• ControlPanel bad.
    Take time to update NameServer & Register Domain ( it take about 24h )
    sometimes its hard to transfer domain.

• I bought one domain and can't remember whether I paid with debit card or paypal.

I've cancelled that domain and my "contract" with them, and I will change bank cards to avoid any fuckers messing with me.

Thanks for the heads up.

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2015

They sent collection agency to me, never gave them the light of day and they shut up afterwards. I think they send them to scare - not as an actual threat ;)

Their UK henchmen - http://www.arvato.co.uk/our-clients/11

• HybridHybrid Member
    edited September 2015

Plain simply, they suck...

1. It takes around 48 hours to reserve and assign your domain...
    2. Their support is terrible, last time they didn't even reply.
    3. Updating nameservers take forever
    4. Their control panel is 0% user friendly
  • quadhostquadhost Member
    edited September 2015

A number of our clients have had issues with 1&1 regarding the update times and transferring domains out.

A few have also claimed that they passed bills over to collections for cancelled services.

Never used them personally.

• 1&1 sounds like a really sneaky company..

• I received a payment declined letter, even though I paid.

Seriously, I paid a month in advance for my domain names, and I still got the letter.