Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your initial must installation package in your vps/server? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is your initial must installation package in your vps/server?

Comments

• I mean, there is nothing to learn in nano. Anyone who has used notepad with only keyboard can do the simple edits. And even the shortcuts for save, search, etc are listed right at the bottom. Vim doesn't have any of that.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • apt-get install build-essential git curl fail2ban htop

• aldothetrollaldothetroll Member
    edited September 2015

apt-get update

apt-get upgrade

yum update

Thanked by 1scy
  • @jvnadr said:
    I cannot understand what people find to vim for daily use... nano is way to easier...

You are starting a war. Nano might be more intuitive, but vim is an editor designed for keyboard only. Once your brain is trained to be comfortable with the set of key combinations, you might start to appreciate vim. I had a college several years ago, he was murmuring like who the f*** created vi to torture him. A month later, I saw he was using vi happily.

• quadhostquadhost Member
    edited September 2015

traceroute, nano, htop, nload, wget then the rest varies depending on the machines role(s).

• vim, rsync, htop, mtr, fail2ban, git are just a few on top of my head.

• stenysteny Member
    edited September 2015

aptitude,
    htop,
    mc

• elgs said: vim is an editor designed for keyboard only. Once your brain is trained to be comfortable with the set of key combinations, you might start to appreciate vim.

So, at what stage of vim usage involves a frozen fish again?

• bash

• scyscy Member
    edited September 2015

vim unattended-upgrades iptables-persistent...

• apt-get install sl

Thanked by 1drazilox
  • sinsin Member
    edited September 2015

nano
    dma
    vnstat
    htop
    iftop
    rsync
    clamav
    ufw
    fail2ban
    rkhunter
    unattended-upgrades
    mtr-tiny
    nginx-extras
    php5-fpm
    php5-mysqlnd
    php5-gd
    mariadb-server
    automysqlbackup

• deadbeef said: Apple fanboy :p

emacs was written by Richard Stallman for UNIX.

• @Gunter said:
    emacs was written by Richard Stallman for UNIX.

Dude, wtf, it was supposed to be a joke :D

• wireshark
    iotop
    dstat

• @deadbeef said:
    Dude, wtf, it was supposed to be a joke :D

Then I am afraid that was not a very good joke.

• @elgs said:
    You are starting a war. Nano might be more intuitive, but vim is an editor designed for keyboard only. Once your brain is trained to be comfortable with the set of key combinations, you might start to appreciate vim. I had a college several years ago, he was murmuring like who the f*** created vi to torture him. A month later, I saw he was using vi happily.

So.... With nano it's 5 minutes.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

People say there are no females on LET, but there's contrary evidence right there. Tons of girls here.

I kid...I kid because I love...

• I prefer to use vim, but in some condition, I also use nano. Every users may have a different preference, since its all about their own favor. So, no need to argue about this. :)

Thanked by 2deadbeef frz
  • @raindog308 said:

I prefer emacs for development, but for editing config files I do prefer nano.

• Vim emacs fail2ban htop rsync iotop wireshark clamav rkhunter curl wget traceroute

Thanked by 1zookie
  • vnstat -- for those abominable VPS providers who charge an arm and a leg for bandwidth overage.

• nano & htop

• apt-get install nano curl

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

nano, curl, screen, python-setuptools and toilet

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

nano, fail2ban, htop

Thanked by 1scy
  • apt-get install sudo nano curl unzip htop

• am i the only one who loves "csf" right after "nano" ?

• If it's not already installed: python!

Ansible handles the rest for me.

• @Mridul said:
    am i the only one who loves "csf" right after "nano" ?

I used to use CSF on my servers but I decided to try out a combination of ufw and fail2ban and that worked great for me...ufw for the simple iptables frontend and fail2ban for my custom filters that ban a lot of the exploit scanning I get on my Wordpress installs.