Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What constitutes a "No Nested VPS" terms violation?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What constitutes a "No Nested VPS" terms violation?

smalletsmallet Member
edited September 2015 in General

Would an openvz container within a KVM vps be a violation? Docker ct on a openvz ct?

None of the above cases add too much IO/CPU overhead (IMO). So what is the intention of such a rule?

Comments

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited September 2015

smallet said: So what is the intention of such a rule?

Usually preventing KVM in KVM or QEMU in OVZ.

But, if the host was to be strict, all of those would contravene that rule.

• Nested KVM is disabled by default in many hypervisor. Qemu though, might violate the CPU fair share terms.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

You can run qemu in OVZ, for example, almost nobody knows how to do it well to not hog CPU, so it is probably against the rules falling under abuse of CPU, other hosts explicitly disallow it, we do not, but you will probably abuse the CPU with qemu in OVZ kind of install.
    OVZ in KVM or LXC should not violate the no nested virtualization rule, because it is not nested virtualization, but it depends how the rule is worded. In this case, no nested VPS rule is broken, you have a VPS within a VPS, no matter the methods used.

• Maounique said: You can run qemu in OVZ,

Think Docker in OpenVZ would be okish?

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2015

Best to just contact the host and ask them outright. Any reasonable host will tell you whether your intended usage is acceptable or not, if you just ask - and if needed, they can make an internal note of it, to prevent confusion for other staff.

EDIT: So if this was meant as a general question; just contact the hosts you're thinking of going with, and base your purchasing decision on their answers :)

• Hidden_Refuge said: Think Docker in OpenVZ would be okish?

OpenVZ has horrible support for Docker (and it just barely works), don't do it.

Thanked by 2vimalware howardsl2

@Silvenga said:
    OpenVZ has horrible support for Docker (and it just barely works), don't do it.

Curious actually, do you happen to have any links to reading materials about this? I've not been able to really find any real-world experiences from people with Docker in OpenVZ.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2015

joepie91 said: Curious actually, do you happen to have any links to reading materials about this? I've not been able to really find any real-world experiences from people with Docker in OpenVZ.

Docker support was added to the OpenVZ kernel back in February and there have been quite a few bug fixes since then to make it more stable. Unfortunately I have 0 experience with Docker so I've never played with it. Here's the guide from the OpenVZ.org wiki: https://openvz.org/Docker_inside_CT

EDIT: Just noticed it requires veth instead of venet so I don't know of any providers who would support it.

@KuJoe said:
    Docker support was added to the OpenVZ kernel back in February and there have been quite a few bug fixes since then to make it more stable. Unfortunately I have 0 experience with Docker so I've never played with it. Here's the guide from the OpenVZ.org wiki: https://openvz.org/Docker_inside_CT

Yeah, that's what I'd found. Mostly interested in how well it works in reality :)

• @joepie91 said:
    Yeah, that's what I'd found. Mostly interested in how well it works in reality :)

In reality it's pointless. You can just install boot2docker in a KVM, it takes only 25MB RAM, that's even less overhead than debian/ubuntu minimal install + Docker in OpenVZ.

@elwebmaster said:
    In reality it's pointless. You can just install boot2docker in a KVM, it takes only 25MB RAM, that's even less overhead than debian/ubuntu minimal install + Docker in OpenVZ.

That's assuming you have a KVM VPS. Many don't, and use OpenVZ instead.

• FuslFusl Member
    edited September 2015

Docker doesn't work at all in current OpenVZ and Virtuozzo stable releases:

WARN[0000] please use 'docker daemon' instead.
    WARN[0000] You are running linux kernel version 2.6.32-042stab104.1, which might be unstable running docker. Please upgrade your kernel to 3.10.0.
    ERRO[0000] 'overlay' not found as a supported filesystem on this host. Please ensure kernel is new enough and has overlay support loaded.
    INFO[0000] Option DefaultDriver: bridge
    INFO[0000] Option DefaultNetwork: bridge
    INFO[0000] Listening for HTTP on unix (/var/run/docker.sock)
    ERRO[0000] failed to set to initial namespace, net:[4026540184], initns fd 6: operation not permitted
    FATA[0000] Error starting daemon: Error initializing network controller: Error creating default "bridge" network: package not installed

/Edit: At least not with standard config/installation. I haven't digged further than apt-get install, try it out and apt-get purge.

• joepie91 said: Curious actually, do you happen to have any links to reading materials about this? I've not been able to really find any real-world experiences from people with Docker in OpenVZ.

Just reading this from the above link:

Only "vfs" Docker graph driver is currently supported

VFS is a fallback of a fallback of a fallback graph driver. It has been described by Docker as "not suitable for production".

The following are the order in which Docker picks the storage engine.

• "aufs" <- practically built for Docker (only works under Ubuntu systems)
    • "btrfs" <- might replace aufs as the default sometime (or when used on non-Ubuntu systems).
    • "devicemapper" <- LVM alternative.
    • "vfs" <- used for testing other backends, slow and inefficient.