Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scaleway C1 vs Ramnode 256 MB SSD Cached
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Scaleway C1 vs Ramnode 256 MB SSD Cached

GM2015GM2015 Member
edited September 2015 in Providers

I was looking for one extra server to run two domains of my own and can't decide which provider/server to use.

Both of them are new websites and likely won't have large traffic to them in the next 12 months.

So which would be better?

Or would one of ramnode's ovz plans suffice?

I'd start making these websites from scratch with wordpress and the other one with an ecommerce flavour, probably.

I'm looking for medium to long term hosting. I've had a couple of install issues on my Scaleway C1 tests. I'm quite the noob.

Otherwise, I don't need support, I can google most my stuff.

Comments

• I think Ramnode would be more than enough.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • singsingsingsing Member
    edited September 2015

GM2015 said: I'm looking for medium to long term hosting.

I wouldn't pre-pay for a year. I wouldn't be surprised if month-to-month customers get scheduling priority over customers that have pre-paid for a year on certain budget VPS services. Ideally you should have your deployment done by scripts so you can re-deploy with another provider in mere minutes if your current provider raises their prices or lowers their quality.

Regarding C1 vs Ramnode OpenVZ, I have to ask, where will your site visitors be connecting from? If your expect your visitors are in U.S. go with Ramnode. If you expect your visitors are in Europe go with Scaleway.

From a technical perspective, I'll say this: I have the cheapest Ramnode KVM plan and I'm not overly happy with it. There are noticeable stalls when interacting through ssh, though I'm not sure what causes them. So Ramnode, while I've been told they are a highly rated provider by LET standards, and it works for what I need, is not rock solid in my book.

Though if you want rock solid I'm not aware of a budget provider that does that.

If you're not going to deploy from scripts, I recommend you pony up for at least 1GB of "RAM" somewhere. It's really convenient to be able to connect to a server by VNC, launch up firefox, and download files on to it directly. Versus having to relay files around or use wget because firefox won't run in 128MB "RAM", and potentially having to do other acrobatics to properly maintain the system without bogging it down (I'm thinking of backups, etc) when in fact the website barely runs well in it when you aren't doing maintenance.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • Ramnode has a cheer squad.

Both have servers.

Your choice.

Thanked by 2GM2015 Amitz
  • GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited September 2015

That was my first thought when I tried to decide between the two. With scaleway, if my project doesn't work out as I want and don't renew the domain, I can drop the server and no worries, while with ramnode, I'll still would have the server and but not the money spent on it.

singsing said: I wouldn't pre-pay for a year.

It's either openvz or ssd cached for me if I go with ramnode. My light use don't really need ssds.

singsing said: Regarding C1 vs Ramnode OpenVZ, I have to ask, where will your site visitors be connecting from? If your expect your visitors are in U.S. go with Ramnode. If you expect your visitors are in Europe go with Scaleway.

That's surprising.

Regarding the rock solid stuff and budget providers, I've got nothing against them, but will surely not use overpriced stuff like amazon, softlayer or microsoft for personal/small business use.

My personal/small business use don't really need "enterprise 365x365x365x6900x69^96 hours support in a year".

singsing said: From a technical perspective, I'll say this: I have the cheapest Ramnode KVM plan and I'm not overly happy with it. There are noticeable stalls when interacting through ssh, though I'm not sure what causes them. So Ramnode, while I've been told they are a highly rated provider by LET standards, and it works for what I need, is not rock solid in my book.>Though if you want rock solid I'm not aware of a budget provider that does that.

Yes, the Ram of 2GB vs 256 MB I've looked charming towards scaleway.

I'm fine with scripts, most of my stuff is already saved in text files.

I still need to figure out a way to get mysql nginx and php5-fpm working on a new server, because I can't remember all the package names and each tutorial on google has different recommendations.

singsing said: If you're not going to deploy from scripts, I recommend you pony up for at least 1GB of "RAM" somewhere. It's really convenient to be able to connect to a server by VNC, launch up firefox, and download files on to it directly. Versus having to relay files around or use wget because firefox won't run in 128MB "RAM", and potentially having to do other acrobatics to properly maintain the system without bogging it down (I'm thinking of backups, etc) when in fact the website barely runs well in it when you aren't doing maintenance.

• @GM2015 said:

For MySql, nginx and php fpm, have you tried Centmin mod?

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • Centmin is for centos I suppose, I like debian and ubuntu. I haven't really played with centos much, only on virtualbox for installing.

Junkless said: For MySql, nginx and php fpm, have you tried Centmin mod?

• I recommend using debian, installing your stuff from the command line. learn to do it once then you'll be able to set it up quickly again. You might also want to learn how to setup a basic iptables firewall, and you probably want to enable unattended upgrades so that your box updates quickly if there is a new security update.

Scaleway is interesting as the CPU/RAM are dedicated. BUT you'll be fine with any cheap VPS for your project though.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • ReetusReetus Member
    edited September 2015

I would do it on C1 w/docker, when/if site outgrows it, move the database to another C1 under docker, etc.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • I'll go with scaleway for now, I'll order from ramnode when they're doing a bigger discount.

I asked Nick in a pm about their discount codes as all I've seen on google and LET were were expired.

Hello,

ANY10 is our best available.

• @GM2015 said:
    Centmin is for centos I suppose, I like debian and ubuntu. I haven't really played with centos much, only on virtualbox for installing.

Then go with easy engine..

• Ramnode's vps are rock solid stable, kvm and openvz. But, if you are going to run a WP site and an e-commerce site, then, 256MB memory is not enough, your sites will probably suffer in peak load.
    Even if you can run a wordpress site in a 256 environment, because it will mostly use 180 - 200MB of ram for a low traffic usage, it will eventually need more ram (some simultaneosusly visitors, a backup proccess, an optimization of the database etc.).
    Both of your sites will need databases, so, 256 is minimum requirement for a smooth run and, personally, I would not rely on minimum requirements for a site it production state.
    Scaleway's servers are based on ARM technology that limit functions, but for a web server, ARM can do a perfect job. Benchmarking of those cpus is more than fine for a website and not only a low traffic one, and 2 gigs of RAM is more than enough for almost any application, not just for a simple hosting with absolutelly no neighbours as in a vps.
    So, If I were you, I would chose scaleway for this job, or, if I would like to go with Ramnode, I would chose a bigger (at least 1GB ram) but more expensive package.

• singsing said: I wouldn't pre-pay for a year.

This is not true. A good hosting provider like RamNode has no different policy for monthly or yearly customers.

Reetus said: I would do it on C1 w/docker, when/if site outgrows it, move the database to another C1 under docker, etc.

Even if Scaleway has a docker environment ready for install in their servers, there are several issues with docker images that are compatible with ARM architecture (if you search their forum, you will see some of them).

• afterSt0rmafterSt0rm Member
    edited September 2015

@jvnadr said:
    Even if Scaleway has a docker environment ready for install in their servers, there are several issues with docker images that are compatible with ARM architecture (if you search their forum, you will see some of them).

There is always LXC and systems containers for the win if Rocket and Docker don't work.

@GM2015 said:
    Centmin is for centos I suppose, I like debian and ubuntu. I haven't really played with centos much, only on virtualbox for installing.

Take a look at sandstorm.io

Thanked by 3GM2015 deadbeef aglodek
  • @jvnadr said:

I am using C1 with the Docker image and I have no issue. Obviously you can't pull an x86 Docker image on the ARM, you have to pull or build the armhf versions.

• @EkaatyLinux said:
    Ekaaty Linux: Linux made by Brazilians.

Does it have Samba on by default? :D

• Ramnode for sure man.

• jvnadr said: A good hosting provider like RamNode has no different policy for monthly or yearly customers.

It's well easy to be optimistic. But if you told me two weeks ago that VW was rigging emissions testing, I would've said you're crazy. And tweaking priorities of a VPS isn't even illegal.

• singsing said: There are noticeable stalls when interacting through ssh, though I'm not sure what causes them.

UseDNS no
    Check sshd_config and see if things improve

Thanked by 2netomx aglodek
  • deadbeef said: Does it have Samba on by default? :D

That was a good one. :)

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • miTgiB said: UseDNS no Check sshd_config and see if things improve

Huh? That sounds like something that would only by checked when initially connecting, not throughout an ssh session.

• @deadbeef said:
    Does it have Samba on by default? :D

You can be sure man...

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • afterSt0rmafterSt0rm Member
    edited September 2015

@miTgiB said:
    Check sshd_config and see if things improve

And always enable compression.

EDIT: SORRY FOR DUAL POST :'(

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@singsing - Did you open a ticket? That's not normal at all.