Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the reasonable price of a /64 IPv6 block for a dedicated server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is the reasonable price of a /64 IPv6 block for a dedicated server?

I know some vendors provide a /64 block without additional fee, while some others charge their clients some fee for a /64 block. I have a dedicated server from a vendor, and they ask for $10 per month for a /64 block. Is that a reasonable price?

Comments

• patrick7patrick7 Member, LIR

No

• Usually for a IPv6 block the vendor should provide it in a package with the dedicated server, i rarely see provider implicitly charge for IPv6 blocks. I would say no for a /64 for 10$ a month.

• Why not set up a tunnel through HE for free... If there is a way to get space for free why spend the money? I'd prefer native and recently at home I have noticed some limiting of my speed but I had IPv6 before my ISP started issuing their dynamic ipv6 crap, did I mention its FREE?

Thanked by 1elgs
  • Free seems to be a reasonable price.

• @patrick7, @masterqqq, thanks for the confirmation. I also think $10 per month is too expensive.

• @VPSSoldiers said:
    Why not set up a tunnel through HE for free... If there is a way to get space for free why spend the money? I'd prefer native and recently at home I have noticed some limiting of my speed but I had IPv6 before my ISP started issuing their dynamic ipv6 crap, did I mention its FREE?

Thanks. Would you elaborate? Does it need to route via HE's network?

• @VPSSoldiers said:

Thanks. I just registered an HE account. The process seems fairly straightforward. I'm still trying to figure out whether I should create a regular tunnel or a BGP tunnel.

• Unless you have an ASN and a /48+ block (which you can get from many suppliers, ASN for like 80EUR one time, /48 for free) you want a normal tunnel.

Thanked by 1elgs

You can get an ASN from me too as I'm LIR ;-) If you'd like to have your own PI space / ASN, we can always talk about the price.

Thanked by 1elgs
  • elgselgs Member
    edited September 2015

@patrick7 said:
    You can get an ASN from me too as I'm LIR ;-) If you'd like to have your own PI space / ASN, we can always talk about the price.

Thanks @patrick7. Sorry I'm not familiar with how these things work. When you talk about getting an ASN from you, do I share this ASN with other people, or it is dedicated for me?

Each ASN is dedicated to its owner.

Thanked by 1elgs
  • /64 IPv6 usually come with dedicated servers I don't see why any provider would charge for it.

Thanked by 1elgs
  • @patrick7 said:
    Each ASN is dedicated to its owner.

Thanks @patrick7. I will try to get myself educated a bit more about these things. I will let you know in case I need one. Thanks a lot.

• We offer a free /56 with every server. I don't think it's reasonable to charge for anything smaller.

Thanked by 1elgs
    edited September 2015

It does not even make sense to charge for an /48. As a new RIPE LIR, you get /29. That's 524288 /48's.

But I can understand that some may charge a small fee for setup.

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

i believe the provider thats being talked about in this thread is Quadix.

cos i got the same reply last night when i insisted for a ipv6 /64 subnet to be assigned to my box...

i just dont know what does this mean for and to quadix...

as such their support is sluggish, on top this useless fee...

anyways, i believe @qps (quickpacket) is a good provider, and they assign a minimum of a /64 ipv6 to your box for free...

Thanked by 2qps linuxthefish
  • @agentmishra said:
    i believe the provider thats being talked about in this thread is Quadix.

Yes, it's them.

So IPv6 is more expensive than /28 IPv4?

thats what i said...

its better to be with either @dacentec or @qps.

both have free /64 ipv.

@dacentec even gives you a /48 for free and you can assign them to all your boxes. (@dacentec is having some ipv4 scarcity)

i my self is planing to leave quadix...

their ipmi is also not configured properly...

Thanked by 1elgs

@elgs

alternatively you may contact @william or ipv6.im and get your own ipv6 subnets, but i doubt quadix will announce it fast and easily...

Thanked by 1elgs
  • I think Quadix's servers are better than their services. Things don't move forward if you don't push hard.

i agree, but you have powerfull servers with dacentec as well as quickpacket...

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

QuickPacket does not currently charge for IPv6, but we do require justification if you are requesting anything larger than a /64.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

ipv6 shortage is already here. Time for ipv7.

Thanked by 1Jonchun
  • @raindog308 said:
    ipv6 shortage is already here. Time for ipv7.

I actually think a /64 for my network is a huge splurge, but everybody gets one, why don't I?

Why justification for /64? RIPE does not require that.

• @qps said:
    QuickPacket does not currently charge for IPv6, but we do require justification if you are requesting anything larger than a /64.

@patrick7 said:
    Why justification for /64? RIPE does not require that.

I don't think /64 requires justification according what @qps said.

Of course I mean for more than /64

• Some providers try to make money with IPs, so if customers end up using IPv6 only in the distant future, they won't have the IPv4 income anymore.

Online.net provides a /48 for free, Hetzner wants you to have the flexi pack (15€ monthly ?) and pay another 20€ (monthly?) on top, if you want more than one /64. Ridiculous.

• @4n0nx said:
    Some providers try to make money with IPs, so if customers end up using IPv6 only in the distant future, they won't have the IPv4 income anymore.

Online.net provides a /48 for free, Hetzner wants you to have the flexi pack (15€ monthly ?) and pay another 20€ (monthly?) on top, if you want more than one /64. Ridiculous.

Even /64 is a ridiculous number I think.