Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

nat ipv4 vps
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

nat ipv4 vps

Hi,

I heard that "nat ipv4 vps" can be dangerous since we share an ip and someone can do something that is illegal. But this is not already the danger with VPN provider? and the old "unix shell account"?

Comments

• @pascalp said:
    Hi,

I heard that "nat ipv4 vps" can be dangerous since we share an ip and someone can do something that is illegal. But this is not already the danger with VPN provider? and the old "unix shell account"?

could you explain better what you are trying to get at?
    as it appears the gist of this post is "nat ipv4 vps" since it has a shared ipv4 someone could do something illegal that then affects me as well
    and then the last part I am getting is you are running as a vpn provider?(am I wrong on that?) and something about the old "unix shell account" which doesn't really make sense due to unix was a lot securer than what you are talking about as unix was so locked down you had to be physically at the console to access anything which means a "shell account" access to anything other than the console wouldn't work I am not claiming to be a expert on unix and its history but that is what I have been taught about unix and heard.

• I mean, if someone with the same shared IP as mine do something illegal, all people using this ip risk some troubles? Does these provider log something to proof you didnt nothing wrong?

• Good question lets get @AnthonySmith

• @pascalp said:
    I mean, if someone with the same shared IP as mine do something illegal, all people using this ip risk some troubles? Does these provider log something to proof you didnt nothing wrong?

well it actually depends on the provider as if they are routing the vpn(all users) through one ipv4(which is what nat does it translates all "private" ip's into one "public" ip going out.) then they might have a log of who did something illegal but then again if there is a lot of users or for instance a lot of "private" ip's it may be hard to trace or track and well in that case you might just want to get a separate vps for you only with a separate dedicated ipv4 so you aren't blamed for the other people's fault and so you don't get into the mess as well
    but usually if the vpn is acting like a router routing and natting the connection out usually the vpn software like openvpn has a log of what is going in and out(but it is cleared often due to how large it may grow in a second.) Again I don't claim to be a expert I just know what I have been taught or heard.

all people using this ip risk some troubles?

to put it in a nutshell yes that is the case usually.

Does these provider log something to proof you didnt nothing wrong?

Please read my explanation above as usually if the vpn server software supports it yes but otherwise no.

Thanked by 1pascalp
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2015

I don't even know where to begin, I don't mean to cause any offence at the expense of someones general lack of understanding or naivety but its ridiculous, and given the starting point I don't have enough time this week to explain why due to the grand canyon of a knowledge gap.

But in a nut shell, I can trace traffic down to an individual VPS NAT or not, not once in 2+ years (best guess at time line for LES alone) has anyone ever generated an abuse report on LES that's was not traced directly back to the end user.

Apart from that I don't know why you feel any safer on a software bridge sharing the same subnet as 100 other people anywhere else.

Perhaps I don't understand the question properly and that is why this seems to ludicrous to me, if @pascalp wants to give some specific questions then I am happy to answer them but to me this is like saying "I head fat is bad for you if it is in food, should I eat it?"

Thanked by 1wych
  • hehe, you feel better now?

• I will avoid to ask you another question. Thanks for the reply by the way

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@pascalp said:
    I will avoid to ask you another question. Thanks for the reply by the way

Anthony spent a few minutes writing you a reply. He even said that he's willing to clarify any other question you may have, since he didn't get your original question. Your reply wasn't even worth his time TBH. Anthony is absolutely fine with giving advice, however, you don't seem to appreciate his time and expertise.

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

pascalp said: hehe, you feel better now?

No just confused and saddened that internet licenses are not a real thing.