Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

best way to backup to online.net backup storage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

best way to backup to online.net backup storage

Hi folks,

I have dedicated servers with online.net and as they include 100gb offsite backup I would like to use it for my private files. I have them on a debian based vps. Currently I use a selfmade script which creates an encrypted .rar archive and transfers this file over FTP to the online.net storage. The problem is that the .rar archive needs to be created first and now the disk space is too small for that. I don't want to directly transfer my files over FTP as they will be sent unencrypted.

Any suggestions how to do it?

Comments

• backupninja with duplicity or just ftp backend works fine for me

• What does backupninja do? I don't want to use plain FTP as my files would be sent unentcrypted.

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited September 2015

Rather crude, but it works for me. But somewhy my home to this locally mounted 100GB storage uploads became corrupted. I mean I have encrypted zip files on ftp space being less than what they are at home.

Eg. one zip file 17.2GB at home, while it's 4.9G on /mnt/ftp. 200KB/s upload speed sucks on wifi laptops.
    http://linuxconfig.org/mount-remote-ftp-directory-host-locally-into-linux-filesystem

• @GM2015 said:
    Rather crude, but it works for me. But somewhy my home to this locally mounted 100GB storage uploads became corrupted. I mean I have encrypted zip files on ftp space being less than what they are at home.

Eg. one zip file 17.2GB at home, while it's 4.9G on /mnt/ftp. 200KB/s upload speed sucks on wifi laptops.
    http://linuxconfig.org/mount-remote-ftp-directory-host-locally-into-linux-filesystem

This looks interesting. I could mount the online.net storage as directory and create the archive file directly in it. Would be slow as hell though.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2015

trexos said: This looks interesting. I could mount the online.net storage as directory and create the archive file directly in it. Would be slow as hell though.

Would be quite funny if it worked exactly as you imagine, but nope, since there is no random access in the FTP protocol, curlftpfs buffers entire files locally either in /tmp/ or /var/something/something, so you're not saving any disk space that way. Now you might have a chance if you enable splitting of your archive into e.g. 1GB chunks... But even then you have to count on your archiver to not make any writes into the beginning of each file as it completes creating them, if it does, you'll end up either downloading all of what you just uploaded, or uploading the same stuff twice, i.e. a total mess.

As for what could work. EncFS in reverse mode + sitecopy. This is what I use, but nope I am not writing a spoonfeed-me howto (here's one), just google these keywords. And keep in mind the total file path is limited to ~190 characters and the file count to 1000 files.

Thanked by 2GM2015 4n0nx
  • @rm_ said:
    As for what could work. EncFS in reverse mode + sitecopy. This is what I use, but nope I am not writing a spoonfeed-me howto (here's one), just google these keywords. And keep in mind the total file path is limited to ~190 characters and the file count to 1000 files.

Thanks for the heads up! But in the beginning of the linked article it says "Outdated!

Hey there! Just so you know, this was written in 2008 and is a bit outdated. Although it should work fine, there are other solutions you should consider. Check out s3ql for one. Encfs has issues with it's encryption."

• as far as I know, .rar files with passwords do not scramble the file names

that reverse mode idea is brilliant O.o

trexos said: Encfs has issues with it's encryption."

https://defuse.ca/audits/encfs.htm

EncFS is probably safe as long as the adversary only gets one copy of

the ciphertext and nothing more. EncFS is not safe if the adversary
    has the opportunity to see two or more snapshots of the ciphertext at
    different times. EncFS attempts to protect files from malicious
    modification, but there are serious problems with this feature.

"Two or more snapshots of the ciphertext at different times" whatever that means

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

trexos said: Check out s3ql for one.

You are not using S3, so that does not matter to you what-so-ever.

trexos said: Encfs has issues with it's encryption.

Because online.net will totally exploit those few obscure corner case contrived weaknesses some dork thinks he found in EncFS, to get at your data.

• Right, I had to login and check my actual setup. I use backupninja with duplicity to create gpg encrypted backups and send them to online.net storage by FTP. Nothing's sent unencrypted.