Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CPanel & external DNS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CPanel & external DNS

apidevlabapidevlab Member
edited September 2015 in Help

I wanted some advice on how best to handle CPanel hosted domains with an external DNS provider.

I have been able to get the site up via pointing an A record at the CPanel host, and added a domain (addon) which sets up the DNS in CPanel. DNS is one of those topics that baffles me a little. I am unsure of the realtionship here between the external DNS and CPanels DNS. I imagine it's External (Nameserver) > CPanel

I have the domains using the external providers nameservers but now need to know how to proceed, with email / MX records and subdomains?

At the moment the MX records is on the external DNS provider (CPanel only set up 1 MX record) but as both DNS have set autodiscover and autoconfig records I am unsure how to proceed?

I imagine that I cannot use the DNS (1984.is) provider to send mail from my domain so will need to set records via CPanel is this correct?

I am going to have a read around but am sure some here can help me out :)

Comments

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2015

Hi. You could have ended up with making Local DNS Servers on the cPanel box or just renting 2 extra 512 MB RAM VPSes and installing cPanel DNS only. Then you could manage all DNS from cPanel. Now, you could make MX record to point to your cPanel server's hostname, but I haven't tested that and I can't give you guarantee if it will work.

Thanked by 1apidevlab
  • It's not a huge issue it's something I wanted to try out. I have only ever used Wembmin and VPS with external DNS and essentially Webmin just picks up the assigned IP. Just never done it with a CPanel domain.

Like I said I have the website running fine, it's a DNS learning exercise for me really :)

• Handling DNS outside of cPanel is very easy, just point the MX entry to the IP of the cPanel host and in cPanel goto the mail group and select MX Entry, and update Email Routing to Local Mail Exchanger as long as you wish the cPanel server to handle the email.

Look at the zone file in WHM for the domain, and duplicate it at the remote DNS provider

Be aware providing DNS remotely is highly ill advised. cPanel is tightly integrated to handle everything, so you are adding points of failure. If the hosting provider needs to migrate due to equipment failure, and they control the DNS, but you are using external DNS, now your site will stop working while you wait to modify external DNS to reflect the change.

If I've left something off that you were trying to ask, please reword it so I can understand better what you are trying to do

Thanked by 1apidevlab
  • @miTgiB thanks so much, I will take a look. Like I said this was really for my benefit and learning (although your points are extremely helpful)

I will follow your instructions and see how it goes. Thanks once again for clear concise advice :)

• RalliasRallias Member
    edited September 2015

miTgiB said: just point the MX entry to the IP of the cPanel host and in cPanel goto the mail group and select MX Entry

Don't forget TXT records for default._domainkey.

miTgiB said: Be aware providing DNS remotely is highly ill advised. cPanel is tightly integrated to handle everything, so you are adding points of failure.

https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/SDK/Guide+to+Custom+dnsadmin+Plugins

• Rallias said: Don't forget TXT records for default._domainkey.

Already covered

miTgiB said: Look at the zone file in WHM for the domain, and duplicate it at the remote DNS provider

• Are you a WHM/cPanel admin or are you a cPanel site admin?
    If you are a WHM/cPanel admin, you probably need to setup several DNSONLY cPanel servers, which is free. If you are a cPanel site admin, you could set the name servers of your domain to any dns server where your zone file is hosted.

If you want to setup your own name servers in your domain, you need to ask your domain registrar to set glue records pointing to your name servers and you can further set your domain's name servers to your own name servers.