Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Definition of SPAMMING
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Definition of SPAMMING

SPAM seems to be a sensitive word in the hosting industry that people in this circle have to face. When we talk about SPAMMING, what I think is sending a lot of garbage emails to a lot of people. But when I think it a bit more, it seems to be normal practice if I have thousands or even more customers, and I want to send an email to each of them who optin to receive emails. So now the question raised, what exactly is the definition of the act of SPAMMING? Is it by quantity of emails? Number of recipients in a period of time? Or by intentions?

Comments

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited September 2015

UCE. Also, just noticed this on my inbox:

Thanked by 1badpatrick
  • Depends on the the recipient, for instance I'm still getting emails from IGN almost daily and I can't even remember giving them my email. Yet I enjoy reading them and as such don't see them as spam, yet another person is likely to see the daily email of mostly junk information as useless and thus spam.

IMO anything unsolicited or unwanted(within reason) could be classified as spam.

• @Traffic said:
    UCE. Also, just noticed this on my inbox:

I see why SPAM is evil.

Thanked by 1Traffic
  • Smart arse contribution:

The 'net/web have been used by billions of people so far, and it's somewhat obvious that the conversation and its finer points has already been had. So, even if you get all the answers in here, the thread is spam because it's a near duplicate of already existing information.

Host's definition of spam:

Their granularity of its definition is up to them, but it tends to be whether you end up on a blacklist or not, as they can scale that kind of monitoring easily.

• "Spamming" is so vague now

• Unwanted doesn't necessarily mean spam...

Our server monitoring service sends tens of thousands of emails a day. Many are 'unwanted' because who wants to be the sysadmin on-call to get the 2am alert that Amazon AWS is freaking out (like last night). But the customers requested that we send them. We rarely have any of our alerts marked as spam but it does happen.

I lean towards anything unsolicited is spam.

• @elgs: ah... thanks fot opening this can of worms... already have popcorn warming up for the show to come here :)

Thanked by 1elgs
  • GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited September 2015

spam is tasty
    I've never eaten this kind of spam, at leaast I don't think so.

On the other hand, it's unwanted communication, mostly advertising.

People started calling link building spam, mailing, emailing, telephone callers and so on.

It's evolving and getting tastier.

• https://www.spamhaus.org/consumer/definition/

The word "Spam" as applied to Email means "Unsolicited Bulk Email".

Unsolicited means that the Recipient has not granted verifiable permission for the message to be sent. Bulk means that the message is sent as part of a larger collection of messages, all having substantively identical content.
    A message is Spam only if it is both Unsolicited and Bulk.

Unsolicited Email is normal email
    (examples: first contact enquiries, job enquiries, sales enquiries)

Bulk Email is normal email
    (examples: subscriber newsletters, customer communications, discussion lists)

Technical Definition of Spam

An electronic message is "spam" if (A) the recipient's personal identity and context are irrelevant because the message is equally applicable to many other potential recipients; AND (B) the recipient has not verifiably granted deliberate, explicit, and still-revocable permission for it to be sent.
    [...]

Thanked by 1elgs
  • SPAM Sardines? lol. haha the answer is above!

• So if I restrict certain number of mails maximum can be sent within a period of time, say 50 mails / 1 hour per account, the server should be safe from sending spams, since I cannot restrict unsolicited or not, the only thing can be restrict is bulk, is that correct?

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited September 2015

"since I cannot restrict unsolicited"

Of course you can. You send to people who've opted to receive emails from you or whoever within the terms they agreed to.

• @marrco said:

That's the official version. In actual practice, a spammer is ANYONE they add to their blocklist, very often people and businesses whose IP's get listed as part of Spamhaus's blackmail activity aimed at one provider or another.

@ricardo said:

I think what @elgs was referring to, was restricting his clients...

Thanked by 2GM2015 elgs
  • I recently saw this definition of "spam". It works for me:

Spam: Irrelevant or inappropriate messages sent on the Internet to a large number of recipients.

I saw it in an unrelated forum, where it was used to describe a spate of off-topic posts, each of which had an advertising link in the signature. The blatent goal was exposing the links at the forum members, not meaningful interaction.

• @aglodek said:
    I think what elgs was referring to, was restricting his clients...

Yes, thanks, I was talking about restricting the clients.