Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you rather like to have a dedi or a VPS with the same specs & price?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Would you rather like to have a dedi or a VPS with the same specs & price?

FreekFreek Member
edited December 2012 in General

Just curious/wondering: What would you guys prefer?
A dedicated server or a VPS that has exactly the same specs and price, apart from the CPU?
For example, take the Kimsufi mKS 2G. It has 2GB RAM, 500GB Disk, 5TB B/W and a 1.2Ghz Atom/Celeron for 10 euros a month.
What would you take if could choose between the Kimsufi and a VPS with 2GB RAM, 500GB Disk, 5TB B/W on a, let's say, E3 with equal CPU Share?
I personally am divided. On one hand an VPS is nice because it'll have a far better CPU. But on the other hand, someone could be abusing the node in terms of disk i/o or bandwidth.
Looking forward to your opinions.

Comments

• DamianDamian Member
    edited December 2012

I've been thinking about offering something similar, since i'd really like to get away from selling fifty-cent VPSes.

Regarding:

@Freek said: But on the other hand, someone could be abusing the node in terms of disk i/o or bandwidth.

For $12/month, the host should really have some sort of proactive degradation monitoring in place, so that shouldn't be an issue. Using KVM versus Xen or OVZ should further help with keeping everyone separate.

What I have a difficult time with is the "500GB Disk" issue. We're running RAID arrays in our servers, for both speed and redundancy, so I don't feel there's a good analog here to offering a single un-enhanced hard drive for the same price.

• Dedi.

• my vote goes for the dedi.

For $12/month, the host should really have some sort of proactive degradation

Yes, they should. But a lot of them just don't care. This price range for these specifics are still "lowend", and at lowend range it is hard to find anyone who really cares about customers. Too many "runners". Vps is always open for overselling. With dedi you get what you bought.

In an ideal word where there is no overselling, there are no one man projects, etc. vps would be my answer. But if "trust" and such other things are important too, the ovh dedi always gets my vote.

• I'd prefer the Dedi because then I don't have to worry about maxing out my resources. On a VPS I keep worrying if I'm not using too much of this and that. And of course others can't bother me with their resource heavy stuff.

• My vote would be for the dedi, it doesn't matter how much a host monitor's their nodes, in time an abuser will come up and kill the IO speed.

Another good thing, you can keep using the CPU to the max or keep a high load and this will not get your service deactivated.

• Dedicated, as it's guaranteed and private.

• Id choose a vps from top 5 LET/LEB provider only.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@tsanten said: Id choose a vps from top 5 LET/LEB provider only.

This.
    Also, what ppl do not talk here about is the fact that a VPS on a specialized server hardware maintained by competent ppl is far better both in speed and reliability than any kind of dedi of similar size.
    Oversold or not, it will be better in speed in most cases, I would bet that half the providers do the job better than OVH with a kimsufi and this is not because OVH limits ppl signing to some countries only, requires a lot of documents, take time for many things and are a big corporation that couldnt care less for the little guy and his data.
    Also, a VPS will consume less resources (power/hardware) than a dedi and that is a big plus in my book.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

My main knock with the Kimsufi 2G is that you're only a hard drive failure away from losing the node entirely.

That said, I would take a dedi with RAID-1 or RAID-5 over a VPS. But I'd want something like Kimsufi's VPS-like OS reinstall portal.

• @raindog308 said: But I'd want something like Kimsufi's VPS-like OS reinstall portal.

Are there any screenshots of this?

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited December 2012

does the dedi have an IPKVM hookup? I hate relying on the provider for provisioning. And only if the dedi would exceed the "equivalent" sized VPS's I/O.