Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Announcing the VPSNodeBox repository for EL6 (CentOS, SL, RHEL) Xen 4.2, Libvirt 1.0, PHP 5.3 & 5.4 - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Announcing the VPSNodeBox repository for EL6 (CentOS, SL, RHEL) Xen 4.2, Libvirt 1.0, PHP 5.3 & 5.4

2»

Comments

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

Judging by the names of some of your packages I'm guessing these may conflict with packages from the IUS repos?

http://iuscommunity.org/pages/About.html

• @Oliver - I actually got the idea from the IUS repo to give packages a different name to avoid conflicts with packages that are already provided in RHEL/CentOS or EPEL. I've also used the spec files from IUS for MySQL and PHP but updated and modified them. The yum-pligin-replace is also developed by IUS. It's all in the change-logs. That's the beauty of open source, you can always fork/modify projects & software to suit your own needs.

• I'm using IUS right now -- what's the difference between your PHP and IUS's, version aside?

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited December 2012

@ihatetonyy - Other than the version none. I like PHP as vanilla as possible. I've rebuilt PHP mostly for me and our customers because I like to stay up-to-date. The focus of my repo is mostly Xen and Libvirt, Nginx and OpenSSL, so if you don't need those you might as well keep using IUS :)

Edit: My Nginx package incorporates the latest version of OpenSSL while the official version relies on the installed OpenSSL libraries in RHEL/CentOS.

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited December 2012

@zhuanyi - I just rebuilt Libvirt, Xen and upgraded the kernel 3.6.9. Also included a boatload of new drivers with this kernel as modules, and built all Xen drivers into the kernel (they were previously modules). Xen users won't need to load these modules at boot time in /etc/rc.modules anymore.

Other changes:
    1) kernel-xen-3.6.9-1.vnb.xen.el6.x86_64:

• Set the default scheduler to deadline for better performance
    • Removed debug symbols to decrease kernel size
    • Set the preemption model to Server for higher throughput

2) Xen 4.2.0:

• Set a conflict with older xen versions to prevent accidental updates

3) Libvirt 1.0.0:

• Enabled Xen 4.2.0 support for RHEL 6/CentOS 6
    • Set a conflict with older libvirt versions to prevent accidental updates

kernel-xen, Xen 4.2.0 and Libvirt 1.0.0 packages are available only for the x86_64 architecture.

• I will be renaming libvirt 1.0.0 to libvirt1 1.0.0 so that it won't replace libvirt 0.9 that ships with RHEL/CentOS and I will remove the extra firmware files that already ship with RHEL 6 / CentOS 6.

• @marcm: this is the error I got now:

Transaction Check Error:
    file /lib/firmware/iwlwifi-5000-5.ucode from install of kernel-xen-firmware-3.6.9-1.vnb.xen.el6.x86_64 conflicts with file from package iwl5000-firmware-8.83.5.1_1-1.el6_1.1.noarch
    file /lib/firmware/v4l-cx25840.fw from install of kernel-xen-firmware-3.6.9-1.vnb.xen.el6.x86_64 conflicts with file from package ivtv-firmware-2:20080701-20.2.noarch
    file /lib/firmware/ql2300_fw.bin from install of kernel-xen-firmware-3.6.9-1.vnb.xen.el6.x86_64 conflicts with file from package ql23xx-firmware-3.03.27-3.1.el6.noarch
    file /lib/firmware/ql2322_fw.bin from install of kernel-xen-firmware-3.6.9-1.vnb.xen.el6.x86_64 conflicts with file from package ql23xx-firmware-3.03.27-3.1.el6.noarch
    file /lib/firmware/cxgb4/t4fw.bin from install of kernel-xen-firmware-3.6.9-1.vnb.xen.el6.x86_64 conflicts with file from package kernel-firmware-2.6.32-279.14.1.el6.noarch
    file /lib/firmware/isci/isci_firmware.bin from install of kernel-xen-firmware-3.6.9-1.vnb.xen.el6.x86_64 conflicts with file from package kernel-firmware-2.6.32-279.14.1.el6.noarch
    file /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168d-1.fw from install of kernel-xen-firmware-3.6.9-1.vnb.xen.el6.x86_64 conflicts with file from package kernel-firmware-2.6.32-279.14.1.el6.noarch
    file /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168e-3.fw from install of kernel-xen-firmware-3.6.9-1.vnb.xen.el6.x86_64 conflicts with file from package kernel-firmware-2.6.32-279.14.1.el6.noarch

• @zhuanyi - In my last comment I said that I am working on removing the extra firmware files from the kernel. Or you can manually remove the extra packages for now by running:

yum remove iwl5000-firmware-8.83.5.1_1-1.el6_1.1.noarch [place the other firmware packages here]

• @marcm said: In my last comment I said that I am working on removing the extra firmware files from the kernel.

Ah, I see, those are the firmwares you are talking about, got it, thanks a lot for fixing it so fast!

• @zhuanyi

Worked out all the bugs, this is working perfectly now :-)

So here is what changed:

• Updated to Kernel Xen 3.6.10
    • I am not including the latest firmware files from git anymore in kernel-xen-firmware package in order to avoid any conflicts with the RHEL 6 / CentOS 6 supplied firmware packages
    • Renamed libvirt to libvirt1 so that if someone that uses my repo won't accidentally update the default libvirt 0.9 that ships with RHEL 6 / CentOS 6
    • Rebuilt Xen so that it updates older versions - this is inline with my repo's policy (I will have to publish that on our website)
  • marcmmarcm Member
    edited December 2012

@AnthonySmith - All the little bugs have been worked out, you can use it now safely. Make sure you check out the changes above, libvirt renamed to libvirt1.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@marcm working great thanks :)

Just need to get to the bottom of the incorrect ram reporting now on CentOS 6 nodes :)

• @AnthonySmith - are you talking about dom0 memory reporting? What does it show when you issue a "free -m" command?

@marcm yeah and some domU's not all though.

I have been working through this with Phil B too and neither of us have found the cause yet although he replicated it on KVM on a centos 6 node.

I know the DOmU's get the right amount og memory based on directmap 4k from meminfo.

For example I have set Dom0 to use 3072MB yet it reports:

total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:          2393       1635        757          0        147       1176
    -/+ buffers/cache:        311       2082
    Swap:         4095          0       4095

which is a fair chunk missing, I have replicated this on multiple nodes and different hardware, but for example a debian 6 64bit 128MB Domu will show 118 - 120 MB Ram if you use free -m, it just does not count it correctly.

• @AnthonySmith - lowerd the memory to 1024M (1GB) on dom0 and do a free -m again. It's how different versions of the kernel do the memory accounting for Xen dom0. On 1GB you should actually see ~766MB total for dom0.

Yep that is correct, I can live with that to be honest however it is the domU's that are the concern, I know it is the right amount of RAM but it can get confusing for end users.

• @AnthonySmith - This happens on KVM as well, and it has everything to do with the paravirtualized domU kernels memory accounting (pretty much every distro ships with domU support built into the kernel these days). Basically the amount of RAM taken up by the Linux kernel is substracted from the total amount of RAM. Create a Xen VPS with 1GB Ram and Install Debian 6, CentOS 6, Ubuntu 12.04 and so on and issue a "free -m" command on each, and you will see that the amount of total RAM will vary by a couple of MB, even over 10MB for some, depending on the guest kernel. It really isn't anything to be worried about. Only OpenVZ will report 1024MB on a 1GB VPS for total RAM, but that's because on OpenVZ every container is using the host node's kernel. I hope this helps.

@soluslabs - All bugs have been worked out, so the latest Xen 4.2, Libvirt 1.0 and kernel-xen packages are ripe for use/testing :-)

@marcm I see, what concerns me is that it is not consistent, but either way it is not the end of the world.

Soluslabs did promise to maintain their own version of Xen if it was dropped from RHEL 6, it was a little irritating to see they just dropped it too so maybe they can work with you on this to get Xen + SolusVM moving forward again, the performance increase is significant over the 2.6.18 kernel, RHEL 5 and Xen 3.x

Also happy to mirror for you if you want :) and I am sure @soluslabs would do the same.

• @marcm thanks a lot, the install seems to work but I think my kernel build is a bit too low to use the Xen kernel, what is the minimum Centos kernel version that is supported by the Xen kernel?

• @zhuanyi - The CentOS 6 doesn't support Xen at all. That's why you need to install the kernel-xen package (do yum install kernel-xen*) from my repository, then edit /boot/grub/menu.lst (grub.conf). Look back at our private messages, the instructions are there.

• @marcm

Great work, tested and it works.

• @marcm said: The CentOS 6 doesn't support Xen at all. That's why you need to install the kernel-xen package (do yum install kernel-xen*) from my repository, then edit /boot/grub/menu.lst (grub.conf). Look back at our private messages, the instructions are there.

Will do, think I am just getting stupid these days :) Thanks for your help!

• I have noticed some issues with Xen 4.2.0 and certain guests like Ubuntu 12.04 and 11.10. I am pulling Xen 4.2.0 and libvirt 1.0.0 for now from the repos and replace them with libvirt 0.9 with Xen support enabled and Xen 4.1.3. I will either set up a separate repo for Xen 4.2 and libvirt 1.0.0 or use different names for the packages. Once that is done I will update this thread.

@AnthonySmith @zhuanyi @RaidLogic

• I am creating a secondary repo called "vpsnodebox-beta-repo" and I will move there Xen 4.2.0 and Libvirt 1.0. It will also include a Xen kernel. Basically it will be a testing repo, and once packages pass testing they will be moved to the main repo. I pulled Xen 4.2.0 and Libvirt 1 from the main repo and replaced them with Xen 4.1.3 and Xen enabled Libvirt 0.9 (package is called libvirt09). This makes more sense from a package release quality point of view. I will update this thread when the "beta" repo is ready.

• @marcm: all working now:

uname -a
    Linux 3.6.10-1.vnb.xen.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Dec 10 15:42:14 EST 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Even the grub.conf was generated automatically, thanks so much for your help!

• @marcm : any eta on the beta repo?

• @PStueck - It will be online as soon as possible, that's all that I can say at the moment.

• @marcm

Would it be possible to have MySQL 5.6 for CentOS 6 in there also?

• @emilv - When MySQL 5.6 is released I will update the repository with it. So far it hasn't been released yet.