Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let's be honest guys, Unlimited Disk Space doesn't exist! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Let's be honest guys, Unlimited Disk Space doesn't exist!

2»

Comments

• Jar said: No no you don't understand, the entire industry is reading this thread, waiting to drop their income to please a few people who probably wouldn't pay more than $15/year for anything :P

I suppose they can do it if they want man, I prefer to eat once a week though. :P

Thanked by 1jar
  • Jar said: No one who advertises unlimited has EVER said "infinite storage" to my knowledge.

I'd say that's not because they're honest, but because nobody actually wants infinite storage. I have finite, but very large, storage needs. I wouldn't know what to do with "infinite storage", unless you allow me to just use a finite part of it, say, the first 2000TB or so.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@singsing said:
    I'd say that's not because they're honest, but because nobody actually wants infinite storage. I have finite, but very large, storage needs. I wouldn't know what to do with "infinite storage", unless you allow me to just use a finite part of it, say, the first 2000TB or so.

Well I mean like I said, if you're making a website that runs on shared hosting unlimited isn't much of a risk. Everyone here knows overselling works. It's an undeniable and reproducible fact that people don't use what they buy. It's what LEB was built on. We are all here because overselling works.

If you're selling web hosting, it's not dishonest to say "hey no backup storage." Beyond that, websites that run on shared hosting and legitimately use high amounts of disk space are not a dime a dozen, so you can easily accommodate the few that do if you have the infrastructure.

It's not about infinite, there is no infinite. It's about not metering disk usage. I suppose unmetered would be a reasonable middle ground, but average consumers may not know how to read that. The average consumer is exactly who this idea is for, and they don't even have terabytes of data to put on websites ;)

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • Jar said: Beyond that, websites that run on shared hosting and legitimately use high amounts of disk space are not a dime a dozen, so you can easily accommodate the few that do if you have the infrastructure.

Well my idea is to make a kind of youtube that runs on shared hosting with strong privacy via encryption of each video. To do that, when a video is "sent" to another user, it is re-uploaded to the shared hosting site with an encryption key specific to that user. Also, re-sharing to groups of users are supported, so you can re-share a video you received with all your friends. TL;DR it would be like youtube but require billions of times the storage due to each user having a private copy of each video. Please let me know of a shared hosting company that can accommodate under one of their "unlimited" plans.

edited September 2015

@singsing said:
    Well my idea is to make a kind of youtube that runs on shared hosting with strong privacy via encryption of each video. To do that, when a video is "sent" to another user, it is re-uploaded to the shared hosting site with an encryption key specific to that user. Also, re-sharing to groups of users are supported, so you can re-share a video you received with all your friends. TL;DR it would be like youtube but require billions of times the storage due to each user having a private copy of each video. Please let me know of a shared hosting company that can accommodate under one of their "unlimited" plans.

CPU usage and PHP memory usage kill this idea well before you run into storage issues. Not going to be a lot of uploads going to the website that can barely stay online due to hitting memory/CPU limits.

• Jar said: CPU usage and PHP memory usage kill this idea well before you run into storage issues. Not going to be a lot of uploads going to the website that can barely stay online due to hitting memory/CPU limits.

Encryption is done on the client side using a browser plugin. High amounts of memory not used because transfer is chunked by the plugin.

Thanked by 1jar
    edited September 2015

@singsing said:
    Encryption is done on the client side using a browser plugin. High amounts of memory not used because transfer is chunked by the plugin.

I suppose you'll have to have the browser plugin do conversions as well, you need to narrow the encoding on uploads to what is reasonable or customers will constantly complain of poor results, including failure to stream. In that case, should be no problem with any unlimited host.

When I worked at HostGator I would have given thumbs up to that.

• Reminds me of an old Sprint unlimited data plan with a 5gb cap.

• @singsing said:
    Are even able to perceive the doublespeak here anymore? If you have policy in place to kick people out past a certain limit, it's not unlimited, end of story. The only thing you've done is arbitrarily label people consuming more than X on your "unlimited" service as "abusing" your service.

I do believe that you read my post wrong however I could have worded it a little bit better. When I speak of abuse, I speak of abusing resources such as processor time or likewise, or network abuse including SPAM....

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited September 2015

The "Unlimited" term is just Marketing. It's all about Marketing.
    People love the word "unlimited" because there's nothing unlimited therefore the word "Unlimited" makes people think they won't need to worry about their resource usage.
    If I think that's a right Marketing technique? No, I do not. Not only it ruins the WebHosting competition, as the customers don't actually benefit from it. There's thousands of posts everywhere with clients or ex-clients complaining about their suspended hosting accounts. Some even with a terminated account without notice.
    Those who are web savvy, do know that there's nothing unlimited, are aware and won't, most likely, signup for an unlimited service. But those who are not web savvy, would rather signup for something that is Unlimited. Or at least, attracts way more clients than the limited/metered offers.

• I have an unlimited plan with a host but really its limited. They seem to monitor the ftp for the site hourly and as soon as I uplod something bigish not relevant to the site I get a warning to remove it

• XiNiXXiNiX Member, Host Rep

@jbiloh said:
    What would you think if some company was selling "unlimited" RAM VPS containers? People would scream scam...

Why "unlimited" bandwidth or disk space in shared hosting is any different is beyond my understanding.

Exactly !

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

I personally offer this service (not to all customers, mind) and we just have a NAS service so every time a disk is full, we assign another to it. (We use OnApp cloud - so pretty easy to expand it too).