Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Keep using CentOS or not?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Keep using CentOS or not?

Hey everyone, how's it going?

I'm currently using CentOS + Desktop-VNC and it takes about 800 up to 1,5GB of RAM (I do use Firefox browser + FTP Client).

Is there any other SO that will take less RAM when using VNC + Desktop?

I'd love to hear your thoughts,
Thank you!

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

It is really up to firefox, mine uses at times 3 GB, but I have tens of tabs.
    You can try a debian with xfce4, but if the hog is firefox, won't matter much, check memory usage and you will know.

• Use Debian as said above with xfce, firefox uses a lot of memory but I doubt another browser would be any better.

• If you can change the OS, I'd definitely recommend Debian minimal. Or else check your "X" environment... which may be the actual hog. I use LXDE on Debian

• IgniteServers said: firefox uses a lot of memory but I doubt another browser would be any better.

Believe it or not, Opera is pretty good memory wise. You have to tweak the settings a bit though.

Thanked by 1IgniteServers
  • HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

In such cases I tend to go with Ubuntu + Chrome... memory usage seems decent.

• Thank you for you help!

The browser doesn't need to be Firefox, I can use any browser, maybe the new version of Chrome, I'll test it.

And I'll try Debian+Xfce and after Ubuntu, I'll see what's best, since I'm paying for 4GB of RAM and I don't really need that much...

• Manjaro (or Arch, or whatever) + LXDE, usually with chrome (4-5 tabs): around 1GB ram.

• We use Centos, but been wanting to try a new OS i would never thought for Opera

@black said:
    Believe it or not, Opera is pretty good memory wise. You have to tweak the settings a bit though.

• The latest versions of Firefox are terrible when it comes to memory optimization, chromium unfortunately does much better on that field. Although by turning javascript off you will realize that it's actually what's ruining performances, adding the fact that most of javascript on web pages is non-free and unoptimized you are likely to encounter this memory issue with any browser that allows the garbage to run.

• @Kytro I think you are asking the wrong question here maybe. The issue isn't per se the distribution you are running and more so the programs you are running on top of them such as firefox, vnc, etc. No matter which distribution you run these programs are still going to take that same amount of memory, the only difference may be the existing memory usage from kernel overhead. For example, you may get less memory usage using 32bit Debian as it has a smaller memory foot print, but do you want to use all 32bit programs? In general, 64bit Debian and CentOS base systems should use around the same amount of memory installed in a minimal setup.

As others have mentioned, you may just want to change to using a difference browser that has a smaller memory foot print, this would be the better way to handle you issue, not installing a different distribution.

My 2 cents.

Cheers!

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

UrDN said: Although by turning javascript off

If you need to start turning off features, start with flash, it is really bad security wise. I no longer install flash on desktops since more than a year.
    Javascript might be needed in many sites, like it or not, it has to stay, but in most cases we can do without flash.
    Indeed, opera is more optimized resources wise, I can see hundreds of MB saved in same tab scenario. I use it as a reserve browser when something does not work in FF.
    As for chromium, I am not sure, did not test it much, I have chrome for places where flash is absolutely needed, but havent needed it for a long time.