Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Test kernel downloaded by mistake
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Test kernel downloaded by mistake

Alright. I ran yum update on my server just for fun and apparently a openVZ test kernel has been downloaded. The kernel name is 042stab111.11(shown below in grub.conf)

uname -r shows that the server is still running the stable kernel "2.6.32-042stab108.8"

Now I need to restart my server but something tells me it will not boot into correct kernel. Here is my grub.conf file. How do I get rid of the this testing kernel? Please help

grub.conf generated by anaconda

#

Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file

NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that

all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.

root (hd0,0)

kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/mapper/vg-root

initrd /initrd-[generic-]version.img

boot=/dev/cciss/c0d0

default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title OpenVZ (2.6.32-042stab111.11)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.32-042stab111.11 ro root=/dev/mapper/vg-root rd_NO_LUKS KEYBOARDTYPE=pc KEYTABLE=us LANG=en_US.UTF-8 rd_NO_MD rd_LVM_LV=vg/swap SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 crashkernel=auto rd_LVM_LV=vg/root rd_NO_DM rhgb quiet
initrd /initramfs-2.6.32-042stab111.11.img
title OpenVZ (2.6.32-042stab108.8)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.32-042stab108.8 ro root=/dev/mapper/vg-root rd_NO_LUKS KEYBOARDTYPE=pc KEYTABLE=us LANG=en_US.UTF-8 rd_NO_MD rd_LVM_LV=vg/swap SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 crashkernel=auto rd_LVM_LV=vg/root rd_NO_DM rhgb quiet
initrd /initramfs-2.6.32-042stab108.8.img
title CentOS 6 (2.6.32-504.el6.x86_64)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.32-504.el6.x86_64 ro root=/dev/mapper/vg-root rd_NO_LUKS KEYBOARDTYPE=pc KEYTABLE=us LANG=en_US.UTF-8 rd_NO_MD rd_LVM_LV=vg/swap SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 crashkernel=auto rd_LVM_LV=vg/root rd_NO_DM rhgb quiet
initrd /initramfs-2.6.32-504.el6.x86_64.img

P.S. I haven't done the bold text intentionally. It is done by vanilla.

Comments

• Do you have control over the host? If yes, you may vzctl enter that vm to manually modify the grub configuration files, otherwise, you may need to contact the host provider.

• Well I went ahead and restarted the server and it turned on fine. The test kernel seems to work.