Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheaper proxies?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheaper proxies?

pikzpikz Member
edited November 2011 in General

Is the cheapest way to get good quality proxies by renting low end boxes?

Comments

• No.

Thanked by 1kylix
  • What is the better/cheaper way?

• I've sent you a PM. Please don't make it public, I use it regularly and I don't want an overloaded service.

Another one is http://vpnod.com/.

Thanked by 1pikz
  • You should just be aware that the proxy/VPN hoster can sniff ALL your unencrypted data (emails, passwords, etc).
    So it is probably beetter for your safety to setup your own proxy on a LEB

Thanked by 1pikz
  • Um, wouldn't a VPN be secure as it's a ssh connection? Or am I misunderstanding the 'P' in the VPN?

But, yes, you can get your own vps for $15 a year. Anything cheaper and you have to worry about problems.

• @drmike said: Um, wouldn't a VPN be secure as it's a ssh connection? Or am I misunderstanding the 'P' in the VPN?

The traffic has to be unencrypted by the VPN provider, who may log traffic.

Thanked by 2drmike pikz
  • Ah, thanks.

I was going to suggest going through a pair of VPSes but that probably would slow things down too much.

• @drmike said: I was going to suggest going through a pair of VPSes but that probably would slow things down too much.

Yeah he could do PC-->(VPN by untrusted provider)-->Own Server with SSH
    Then the VPN provider couldn't log anything but it would be easier to just SSH to the server :D

@drmike said: But, yes, you can get your own vps for $15 a year. Anything cheaper and you have to worry about problems.

Agreed :D I got a VPS from BuyVM for 15$/year and that always worked without problems and i ordered one of the Cripperz 10$/year boxes yesterday but so far it doesn't work.

• No offense to Cripperz but at $10, you (or at least I do) start to get into the range where the margin is too tight. Between hardware costs, the costs for the IP addresses, bandwidth, etc. I just can't see it.

Unless you're putting a lot of folks on there. And even then, that just takes care of hardware. The other bills (ie bandwidth and ip's) are going to go up.