Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ssh tunnel with putty to remote squid
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ssh tunnel with putty to remote squid

lumaluma Member
edited November 2011 in Help

Hello everyone,

I have been playing with the idea of browsing with a bit more security, just for fun and for no particular reason at all.

What I used to do was use a ssh tunnel with putty that would redirect to localhost:3128 (the port of Squid running on that same server)

Then I would set Firefox to the localhost:port I would use for the tunnel.

This stopped working a while back, I am not sure if its a version of putty or what that caused it to stop but it is driving me nuts.

I tried multiple vps' and no go at all.

I have squid running on port 3128 and if I set firefox to use ipadddress:3128 it works great.
I can also create a basic ssh tunnel with putty and set it to dynamic and set firefox to localhost Socks 5 withe port I set putty to and that works fine as well.

But if I try to combine the 2 which used to work, no longer works.

I set putty to have the source port I want (lets say 8888 for fun)
I then put a dot in local and in Auto and I set the Destination as localhost:3128

I then set firefox to Socks proxy on localhost port 8888 and when I try to access a site it just tries to connect for a long long time and then timeouts.

Anyone have any ideas?

I know using both seems like overkill but remember this is just for fun and to learn and it is always nice to tunnel your traffic plus have Squid yank all your headers and what not, It is great fun to set your headers to make it look like you are using Firefox on an Atari 2600.

Thanks.

Comments

• 1) You can do that with privoxy or a firefox addon.
    2) Did you try using 'local' + 'ipv4' in putty instead of 'dynamic'? Not sure if squid might be listening on [::1]

• Well Dynamic only works if I just want a tunnel and not have Squid as part of the equation and that works fine (source port + dynamic works fine, just no squid)

Setting source port + local + ipv4 has the same issue, just says connected.

Keep in mind if I use squid directly from firefox it works.
    Tunnel only set to dynamic also works just fine.

Combining the 2 used to work and according to my notes I did everything I used to do.

Thanks.

• ok I just tested this with my linux box at home and it works. So it is the new putty that is the culprit. How interesting.
    The command I used on the linux box is:
    ssh -L 8888:localhost:3128 [email protected]

I set firefox to use http proxy localhost:8888 and wham it works, http headers test show me that I am using an Atari 2600 and ipchicken says I am using the ip of my vps.

• cool n_n

Maybe you should look at examples in how to do it with putty? Because it must work o_O

• It used to work with putty, the previous version, but this new version they came out with earlier in the year does not work. I may contact the developer for putty and see what he says, could just be a functionality change or a bug.

• fanfan Veteran

I use polipo instead of squid, for the lower resource footprint, and it works fine for me. I configured it to accept 127.0.0.1:port only then I can use a ssh tunnel client to server forwarding to the polipo instance as a http proxy.

BTW, the proxy is also faster than plain ssh tunneling and encrypted as well.

• I am quite happy with Squid, properly configured it uses very little memory.

My VPS with SSH + Squid + IRC Bouncer is using 27megs of ram average.

I am not saying that Polipo is not good but I figure if Squid is working great for me why change? :)

• Do you care to share some guidelines to reduce the footprint? n_n

• fanfan Veteran

I am quite happy with Squid, properly configured it uses very little memory.

My VPS with SSH + Squid + IRC Bouncer is using 27megs of ram average.

I am not saying that Polipo is not good but I figure if Squid is working great for me why change? :)

Mind sharing your squid configuration file? I've spent quit a few hours on reading its docs but it's quite complicated for me.