Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

cPanel DNS Only
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

cPanel DNS Only

PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep
edited November 2012 in Help

Setting up the first DNS Only server..

It has 2 boxes for the nameservers. What would I put in there? It's a DNS only server so I assumed I'd only have to put one nameserver in there (because I have 2 servers - one for each nameserver).

Like here: http://puu.sh/1vjz8
This is the server for ns1.dominicl.me so why does it ask me for 2 nameservers??

Comments

• I think it's just for information - I usually enter ns1.mydomain.tld in the first box and ns2.mydomain.tld in the second box.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

Okay, so would I do the same on the 2nd DNS only server?

Also, I understand I need to use clustering to get all the DNS information to synchronize. In the clustering section (http://puu.sh/1vjDn) would I need to add the other cPanel DNS only server as well as the main cPanel server or not?

Thanks,
    Dominic

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited November 2012

We set it up like this:

Main cPanel Server
    ↳Cluster 1 UK - ns1. (Synchronise Changes)
    ↳Cluster 2 USA - ns2. (Synchronise Changes)
    I believe this is the recommended way of doing it however, you can use your main server and 1 dns only, the main server is automatically added after you add your first cluster to the path diagram

• Yeah, put the same information in each server.

Personally I synchronize all my DNS servers to the full cPanel server, like StormVZ showed above.

I have mine like this:
    Main cPanel Server - RS1
    ↳ NS1-01 (Synchronise Changes)
    ↳ NS1-02 (Synchronise Changes)
    ↳ NS1-03 (Synchronise Changes)
    ↳ NS1-04 (Synchronise Changes)
    ↳ NS2-01 (Synchronise Changes)
    ↳ NS2-02 (Synchronise Changes)
    ↳ NS2-03 (Synchronise Changes)
    ↳ NS2-04 (Synchronise Changes)