Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hi guys. Please suggest VPS to use as VPN & Proxy, cheap but reliable - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hi guys. Please suggest VPS to use as VPN & Proxy, cheap but reliable

13»

Comments

• As we said before, please use OpenVPN on UDP mode.

I don't think there's any non-paid software VPN that beats, hell even comes close to it.

• @Wintereise said: As we said before, please use OpenVPN on UDP mode.

yeah, i'm weighing my option with openvpn now. can I only route utorrent using openvpn? I still want to browse normally.

• mangkookmangkook Member
    edited December 2012

hi guys, i'm back. I've been playing with my vps and manage to install:

1. Install a seedbox with webui using this tutorial: http://www.laxdal.org/node/270
      result: Success but sluggish ui, load too much ram 130-200mb

2. Install deluge with webui using this tutorial: http://www.havetheknowhow.com/Install-the-software/Install-Deluge-Headless.html
      result: Great running! Excellent webui, lots of control, but a bit tiring, need way to sync linux dir with my windows 7 machine. Ram hovering around 110mb. but I wasn't satisfied until I tried openvpn, after enabled tun/tap

3. Install Openvpn access server using this guide: http://docs.openvpn.net/how-to-tutorialsguides/virtual-platforms/install-openvpn-access-server-on-linux-debian-6/
      result: easy install, limited to 2 client but it's ok, using ram 130mb or more.

my question is: is there any way I can lower the ram consumption? I want to use deluge and openvpn on the same vps but seems eating more than 128mb memory.

I tried 2&3 on both ubuntu 10 and debian 6 32 bit

I still love using ssh as tunnel since its the easiest and less resource, but no udp support. or is there another way to use ssh tunnel with tcp&udp?

thanks for the support guys!

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2012

You can use proxify for an easy solution with freecap or something that will forward all traffic through the proxy.
    It is an ugly hack, but should solve your problem
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_proxifiers

• I was wondering why all of sudden my openvpn connection became slow, almost like they're throttled..?

@Maounique said: You can use proxify for an easy solution with freecap or something that will forward all traffic through the proxy.

could someone please elaborate.. ?

• @mangkook said: I was wondering why all of sudden my openvpn connection became slow, almost like they're throttled..?

just try to direct download form your vps, it's throttled or not?

• OpenVPN itself is light, but nobody said anything about Access Server being light :P

It's a lot of Python hackery, and is sadly fairly heavy. Nothing you can do, I'm afraid.

Also, be careful running torrents, some providers don't like them as much as the other ones.

@mangkook said: could someone please elaborate.. ?

A proxifyer is a program that will grab your traffic generated by a certain app which is not proxy friendly or which includes traffic your socks proxy cannot handle (UDP) and feeds it to the proxy.
    That wikipedia article offers some comparison.

• thanks for the suggestion guys.

@Wintereise said: OpenVPN itself is light, but nobody said anything about Access Server being light :P

Now I know ;)

@arieonline said: just try to direct download form your vps, it's throttled or not?

I believe my connection to vps are not throttled.

I'm still interested in socks server like dante afterall. It's easier IMO for the utorrent udp and I don't have to tunnel all of my connection using vpn. Is there any alternative to dante that wont steal too much ram? perhaps I can try another template or remove some package in the os.

edited December 2012
     apt-get remove --purge apache2 bind9 samba*

That is a standard debian clean-up. You may need more tho, sendmail if installed, exim4 or similar.