Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question: How do I set correct time on XEN HVM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Question: How do I set correct time on XEN HVM

DudeistDudeist Member
edited November 2011 in General

This might seem like an easy question but I haven't found a satisfying answer yet, so I'll give it a shot here.

I have a XEN HVM box, where the physical server is located in my time zone (GMT +1:00), but the server logs show: +0800 time. Can I correct this myself or do I have to contact the provider? I'm using Debian 5.

Thanks!

Comments

• Steve81Steve81 Member
    edited November 2011

# dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

Thanked by 1Asim
  • @Steve81 said: dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

Well, that couldn't be any easier. Thanks a lot!

• @Steve81 said: dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

I was going to say the same :)

• cough Um, yeah. So was I. Say the same. Um, dp-um-lb-congrat tazmania

:whistle:

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Keep in mind that HVM has time drift issues so be sure to install NTP :)

Francisco

• I've heard too many stories of those getting their servers or ranges banned for updating time everyday so we just have a single server check and then the other local servers update off of that one every other day. Part of the backup routine.

• @drmike said: I've heard too many stories of those getting their servers or ranges banned for updating time everyday

Banned by who? The admins of timeservers? That's crazy...

• @sleddog said: Banned by who? The admins of timeservers? That's crazy...

Agree, wtf

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited November 2011

You have to remember that those timeservers are run by universities and scientists. Them the old school admins. ;)

Unfortunately google is thinking ban is the same as block and redirecting me to H&R block, even if I force it, and timeserver appears to be a popular mindcraft port or addon so I can't find anything right off official. There's a mention of 4 hours here in passing:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/dealing-with-windows-vista-time-sync-problems/

• If it's a stratum 1 server then I can understand complaints & blocking. But not a stratum 2 or below.

And if your ntpd is configured to use a pool then you're not hitting the same timeserver everytime.... for example there's currently 608 timeservers in us.pool.ntp.org.

• I thought they shut down the pool. Damn if I know....

(I'm not even going to try and google for that.)

• kylixkylix Member
    edited November 2011

You could also use time servers that are operated by governmental agencies. I use them quite fine since more than 10 years on different machines.

• Actually we do. The one in Denver I believe.