Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Leap - Will it be revolutionary?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Leap - Will it be revolutionary?

twaintwain Member
edited November 2012 in General

https://leapmotion.com/

I'm thinking probably not, but it might have potential to bring about a new model of computing. (wait a minute does that mean it will be revolutionary... :)

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Nope. Already have one kinect.

• So buying that when it comes out

• @jarland

Kinect is immature, it's mainly made to entertain teeners with games.
    And I think rather expensive too, right?

• That's a pretty awesome thing

• Very nice share.

• @BronzeByte said: Kinect is immature

I'm sure a project developed by some startup is more mature than one of a multi-billion dollar company with a multiple of manpower and know-how.

• You've currently pre-ordered 1 device.
    You've selected International Shipping as your shipping method.
    Total: $96.98

Comes with a 60 money back after it's shipped to so might as well

• Meh, personally I don't think so. I think it'll become one of those things that you don't need but is just "cool" to have.

Now I will admit. It would be so AWESOME to have that (I mean seriously, working with 3D Designs with that thing!), but I don't see it beyond just "cool"

• @jarland - I think that it's cool, however I am so old school that I can't look at this as anything more than a toy. For example I would never replace my mouse and keyboard with this to play a 3d shooter, or any game for that matter.

Now if the damn Holodeck had been invented, then this would be a different story. But doing gestures in front of a screen, meh... no thanks...

• @marcm said: @jarland - I think that it's cool, however I am so old school that I can't look at this as anything more than a toy. For example I would never replace my mouse and keyboard with this to play a 3d shooter, or any game for that matter.

Now if the damn Holodeck had been invented, then this would be a different story. But doing gestures in front of a screen, meh... no thanks...

Hehe now I agree with you 100% here. Its just a toy honestly.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited November 2012

Kinnect is terrible, used it once and put back in the box. Hmu if you want to buy, totally forgot i had it. :)

also needs 6 foot of space.

• @gsrdgrdghd

I am refering to the fact that Kinect is mainly focused on gaming.
    The software and company (ms) are of course more mature, it's the attitude.

• I thought this was going to be about the SingleHop custom control panel. My answer was going to be, "No".

• TaylorTaylor Member
    edited November 2012

I can second Kinnect is shite, I was a beta tester and got to units and sold them as soon as I could..

• Looks really nifty, but I forsee so many problems, mainly, compatability, software devs would have to be on their toes and it's either going to flop or it's going to be used in "some" programs built by independents.

• @MannDude said: I thought this was going to be about the SingleHop custom control panel. My answer was going to be, "No".

When we used them they already had a custom control panel.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2012

@BronzeByte said: I am refering to the fact that Kinect is mainly focused on gaming.

X-Box is a lot more than gaming, as is Kinect. It's a great comparison, almost identical concept, only difference is method and market. This interests me about as much as a gyro mouse.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited November 2012

@jarland said: This interests me about as much as a gyro mouse.

. +

= ?

• I like how small and clean it is. The Kinect is just plain stupid, and another buggy product from Microsoft.

Imagine the Ouya + Leap
    http://www.ouya.tv/

• @Corey said: When we used them they already had a custom control panel.

Yeah, same here. I think I was using LEAP2 or something. It was okay, I feel like it had more eye-candy appeal than actual functions though. Excellent network though, SH is a quality provider.

• @Centaur

They use Sony TV's, haha

• @MannDude said: Yeah, same here. I think I was using LEAP2 or something. It was okay, I feel like it had more eye-candy appeal than actual functions though. Excellent network though, SH is a quality provider.

Yea they are a real quality provider.

• Just another silly novelty gimmick.

• wrong microsoft has released the sdk for doing other things with it.

http://www.microsoft.com/bizspark/kinectaccelerator/