Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap prices vs Hi prices with discount
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap prices vs Hi prices with discount

bobinfobobinfo Member
edited November 2011 in General

Hi!

I've seen that there are these two business models around the LEB market: cheap prices (like buyvm for example) with no discount, and more expensive price that will offer a 50% or 25% discount for LEB community.

What do you think is best?

I somehow prefer the low prices as I feel like it's more clear - but would be tempted to think that some people believe that if pseudo normal price is higher it's better quality.

What's your opinion?

Comments

• Coupons are a provider's attempt to get someone to buy at full price and therefore make more money.

• You could also argue that rebates might mean that the clients base on average pays more which would make me more comfortable with that host. I normally feel much better when I buy a rebated item at a high price store than a 1 € thingy at those cheap shops somewhere simply because I expect the high price store to last longer. At least long enough for my purpose.

• Actually isn't BuyVM the discount brand counterpart to Frantech Solutions?

I also wonder why there are the discounts here. Perhaps it generates word of mouth advertising. I know that I have told others and a few sales have resulted from that.

I was also thinking that the customer base here might be a little different that the regular public. Are the support costs of clients form here less?

In marketing "perceived value" is an critical factor. It may seem counter intuitive, but sometimes you can sell more of a product at a higher price. I have to admit that when I purchased my first $15/yr VPS I was not expecting much. I was like "How can anyone do that and stay in business."

• bobinfobobinfo Member
    edited November 2011

Thanks for your answers.

I would think that it's more difficult to sustain a business with really low prices (10/15$/y plans) but that at a low price (2/5$ per month) you might have a bigger userbase.

It would be interesting to know if frantech for example sell a lot of their frantech plans.

From my experience though, cheap providers often offer cheap performance and you have to go to see mid end providers if you want better performance, so the 'you get what you pay for' is somehow true.

But would I be scared if I ordered a cheap VPS and it had very good performances?

Hum...

• @bobinfo just check my site and you will see raw performace is not really correlated with the price. You must also take into account things like uptime, SLA, DoS protection, support, etc. In general, the price of the pizza boxes represents less than 25% of what the customer pays.

• I wonder if frantech have stock in some moment, I never found stock when tried, just to check :P

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@yomero said: I wonder if frantech have stock in some moment, I never found stock when tried, just to check :P

The Frantech brand hasn't had stock since like..June of last year when BuyVM opened :) Frantech alas was mostly targeted towards a lot of gameserver communities and ended up with quite a bit of fraud (people stealing credit cards of filing disputes 43 days into service, etc). In the end we got tired of offering to those users and rolled with BuyVM.

Francisco

• Oh, so now there is just buyvm?

So you really focus on the 'cheap' market?

Great =)

• @bobinfo said: So you really focus on the 'cheap' market?

cough Resonably priced unmanaged market

Thanked by 1Mon5t3r
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@bobinfo said: Oh, so now there is just buyvm?

So you really focus on the 'cheap' market?

Great =)

'Affordable unmanaged VPS' ;) I hate the word cheap because it means/sounds like something is lacking/missing. At some point Frantech will return, likely as a fully managed offering.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Mon5t3r
  • Oh so you're going into my market, huh? :)

• @drmike said: Oh so you're going into my market, huh?

I think I've seen Fran say he has no interest in shared hosting. That would be a tough market to break into today anyway.