Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

TightVNC Server Failing On Me
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

TightVNC Server Failing On Me

GM2015GM2015 Member
edited September 2015 in Help

I got myself that new online arm £3/month server and can't get tightvnc working on it. I simply installed tightvncserver on a ubuntu 14.04 installation and it's just not working upon starting. Here's what I did:
root: sudo apt-get install tightvncserver
Done
myuser:tightvncserver
Set password blabla
Done
myuser: vncserver :0 -geometry 1024x768 -depth 24 -dpi 96
New 'X' desktop is server:0

Starting applications specified in /home/myuser/.vnc/xstartup
Log file is /home/myuser/.vnc/server:0.log

Upon using vnc(edit: not xrdp) client on windows, which works my home rpi, I get a screen saying :
Xsession: unable to start X session --- no
"/home/myuser/.xsession" file, no
"/home/myuser/.Xsession" file, no session manager, no window managers, and no terminal emulators found; aborting.

So I can connect, but the installation went wrong.

What can I do? I googled around and seen this with no solution http://myraspberrypiexperience.blogspot.co.uk/p/setting-up-vnc.html and then another askubuntu forum thread where a guy got the same error, but I had no idea what he was talking about. And I can't find that thread anymore.

One more question to avoid opening a new thread for it:

How can I enable copy pasting between a vnc session? I've got my passwords on windows and it's painful to transfer all that detail onto my linux desktops.

Comments