Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how to generate RPSL for simple anycasting?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

how to generate RPSL for simple anycasting?

singsingsingsing Member
edited September 2015 in General

Apparently I need an RPSL to get an AS from RIPE.

I've browsed through the appropriate RFCs, and one thing that strikes me is, how can I put the AS number in such a file before I have an AS number? Should I put AS65535 as an example?

Also, I've started from figure 2 from page 4 of RFC 2650, made trivial changes to descriptions, removed all "import: " lines and made one line per AS that I plan to connect with (i.e., get a VPS/dedi within) that reads "export: to AS12345 announce ANY". Is this appropriate? If not, where do I go from here to get this into shape?

Thanked by 1aglodek

Comments

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Ask @rds100 or @William

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited September 2015

In the request form you put "ASNEW" instead of your AS number. It will be replaced with the AS number, once it is issued.

Example:

aut-num: ASNEW
    import: from AS1234 accept ANY
    export: to AS1234 announce ASNEW
    import: from AS5678 accept ANY
    export: to AS5678 announce ASNEW

Anyway, didn't your sponsoring LIR help you with the AS number request form? They should know how to fill it.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • In the request form you put "ASNEW" instead of your AS number. It will be replaced with the AS number, once it is issued.

Solid, thanks.

rds100 said: Anyway, didn't your sponsoring LIR help you with the AS number request form? They should know how to fill it.

Well, the price point I got is very low so I'm treating it as "autopilot not included" ... plus I always feel it's better to know what's going on and learn up on everything. To be honest while I am a network programmer I have never done anything below the level of UDP/TCP, so I'm finding this an excellent precursor to actually running BGP.

Thanked by 1SpartanHost
  • @singsing: why have you decided to apply with RIPE and not ARIN (cheaper)? I'm assuming you need /24 for anycast, for which purpose you can apply anywhere and use without restriction globally (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

@aglodek - you need to be US registered entity to apply for anything from ARIN (the same is for RIPE)

• aglodek said: @singsing: why have you decided to apply with RIPE and not ARIN (cheaper)?

wut? ASNs at RIPE are free while ARIN charges.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • @gbshouse said: you need to be US registered entity to apply for anything from ARIN (the same is for RIPE)

Wut? I asked about this here a couple of months back and was told (by @William, I think?) there was no "residency" requirement with respect to membership in ARIN, RIPE, APNIC, etc...

@aglodek - we've requested subnet from ARIN and got refused since we are registered in UK

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • aglodek said: Wut? I asked about this here a couple of months back and was told (by @William, I think?) there was no "residency" requirement with respect to membership in ARIN, RIPE, APNIC, etc...

RIPE/APNIC requires none, ARIN/AFRINIC/LACNIC require a local company or a LIR to apply on your behalf for a new LIR contract (rare, Afrinic only).

Thanked by 1aglodek