Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS or dedicated server requested with slightly unusual requirements
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS or dedicated server requested with slightly unusual requirements

singsingsingsing Member
edited September 2015 in Requests

Advance note: Please read the "unusual requirements" section fully before responding.

Requesting VPS or dedicated server service. I need 2 at minimum, but adding more will be considered if cost feasible. These must be on different networks (AS) for my purpose. So, basically, I will pick two or more responses. You can respond by commenting or PM. I find it acceptable to pay a bit more than your usual rate due to the unusual requirements, but do mention the price in your response if it is not your regular posted rate.

Technical requirements:

• Ubuntu or Debian root fs available

• at least 2GB free disk space on fresh install

• 1GB RAM (or close to that)

Unusual requirements:

• Must be willing supply your network's AS number and routing policy in RPSL within a few business days of my signing up for the server.

• Must be willing to BGP and approve publishing a /24 BGP route when I have things together in terms of getting an AS number and leasing a /24 (LOA will be provided).

These servers will essentially operate as an anycast network.

Comments

• What locations are you looking for? Thats probably critical for a Anycast network.

• ZappieZappie Member, Host Rep, LIR

If its any use to you, here is a small list of Hosting providers who can give you a BGP session and/or advertise your prefix on Dedicated/Cloud/VPS products:

https://ip6.im/recommended-isp.html

• MarkTurner said: What locations are you looking for? Thats probably critical for a Anycast network.

This is for field testing and early beta. Locations are not critical at this stage (I was thinking maybe 1 US and 1 Russia/China/Aus or start with).

Zappie said: If its any use to you, here is a small list of Hosting providers who can give you a BGP session and/or advertise your prefix on Dedicated/Cloud/VPS products:

Neat, but seems to be geared towards ipv6.

• ZappieZappie Member, Host Rep, LIR

@singsing said:
    Neat, but seems to be geared towards ipv6.

Thats true, but at least confirmed they can do the sessions. Rule of thumb is if they can give you a BGP session to announce your v6 prefixes they can do the same at the same costs for v4

Thanked by 1singsing
  • Zappie said: Rule of thumb is if they can give you a BGP session to announce your v6 prefixes they can do the same at the same costs for v4

Didn't know that, thanks!

• Zappie said: Thats true, but at least confirmed they can do the sessions. Rule of thumb is if they can give you a BGP session to announce your v6 prefixes they can do the same at the same costs for v4

Actually, is there a difference between announce and session? Are the listings only for announce putting your range on their AS or something?

• Lol, I just realized with RPSL they want my RPSL for the new network, not the RPSLs of the upstreams.

• In the request form you should fill which (at least two) upstreams have agreed to do BGP peering with you. You should fill their AS numbers and contact emails. RIPE might contact those upstreams to confirm that they really have agreed to speak BGP with you, though my experience so far shows that RIPE never bothers to do it.

• rds100 said: In the request form you should fill which (at least two) upstreams have agreed to do BGP peering with you. You should fill their AS numbers and contact emails.

Excellent, now I know what to ask for from providers on Zappy's list.

• singsing said: Neat, but seems to be geared towards ipv6.

Does not matter - All in this list also do the same for IPv4.