Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I reading ARIN 8.3 correctly?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Am I reading ARIN 8.3 correctly?

singsingsingsing Member
edited August 2015 in General

The source entity will be ineligible to receive any further IPv4 address allocations or assignments from ARIN for a period of 12 months after a transfer approval, or until the exhaustion of ARIN's IPv4 space, whichever occurs first.

The source entity must not have received a transfer, allocation, or assignment of IPv4 number resources from ARIN for the 12 months prior to the approval of a transfer request. This restriction does not include M&A transfers.

Does this mean you're basically limited to one 8.3 transfer receipt per year? Especially that second part including the word "transfer" and specifically excluding only M&A transfers seems to indicate that this would be the case. But how can you forecast for 1 year? Furthermore, even if you could, my understanding is justification still applies to transfers and you can only receive transfers that you will demonstrably need within 3 months. Shouldn't they let you have a transfer every three months then? Am I missing something?

Comments

• ARIN 8.3 also includes this tidbit:

The recipient must demonstrate the need for up to a 24-month supply of IP address resources under current ARIN policies and sign an RSA.

So yeah while it does limit additional transfers or allocations for a 1 year period, you ideally would be aiming for a utilization rate/demonstrated need for at least that period, if not the full 24 months.

• Yes, I was going through the document again and found 4.2.4.3 which clarifies that whole thing:

ISPs may request up to a 3-month supply of IPv4 addresses from ARIN, or a 24-month supply via 8.3 or 8.4 transfer.

So better not do an 8.3 unless you're sure it's enough for a whole year. Another pitfall.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

Yes, it is currently a limit of one transfer per 12 months, but I think this is key language is quoted here:

singsing said: until the exhaustion of ARIN's IPv4 space, whichever occurs first.

Once the free IP pool is gone, I don't think the time limit applies.

• qps said: Once the free IP pool is gone, I don't think the time limit applies.

That's so according to the first paragraph. But a plain reading makes the paragraphs independent requirements, and the second paragraph implies you wouldn't be eligible until you passed the 1-year mark from your previous transfer, regardless of address space exhaustion.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

singsing said: That's so according to the first paragraph. But a plain reading makes the paragraphs independent requirements, and the second paragraph implies you wouldn't be eligible until you passed the 1-year mark from your previous transfer, regardless of address space exhaustion.

I would recommend contacting ARIN for clarification.

• singsingsingsing Member
    edited September 2015

Lol, I just got this ... those paragraphs are conditions on the source entity, i.e., the one transferring the ranges -out- to the recipient. So basically they aren't intended to restrict receipt of address space through 8.3 (at least not in terms of frequency, though justification is still needed for each).