Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A new platform to buy and sell servers - ServerAuction.net
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A new platform to buy and sell servers - ServerAuction.net

I've been working on an auction platform for the last couple of months and would love to get some feedback from you guys (the knowledgeable community).
The site is www.serverauction.net

Currently, all the auctions are for testing purposes only. When you click order now and the seller is 'test_seller', you will be redirected to sandbox paypal where you can complete the payment using:
[email protected] (password: pass1234)

For testing purposes, I have setup 2 accounts:
test_seller (password: pass1234)
test_buyer (password: pass1234)

Feel free to use these accounts to create auctions, place orders, cancel auctions, make deposits etc.

One question I would like to ask you guys:
Is there anything missing from the Create Auction form? Or, are there any fields that are unnecessary?

I'd appreciate any feedback you can give me.

Thanks,
Patrick

Comments

• nice

Thanked by 1Pat_ServerAuction
  • Thank you ;) A lot of sweat and tears.

• This is nice, and it would be cool to try selling servers on here. Are you running a NOC, or are you looking for NOC's to sell their servers on your platform? I'm guessing the latter.

Regardless, it's a really cool looking platform and certainly worth a shot. Great way to buy servers.

• Thank you. Yes, I am going to be looking for NOC's to sell their servers on the platform.

• 17brownj17brownj Member, Host Rep

Looks great!

• @17brownj said:
    Looks great!

Thank you

• auction fee of 10%. For me the 10% on ebay is already to high and a new platform with already 10% this is just .....

• Agreed with above. Useless site if there's going to be a fee. Just use wht, let or eBay.

• @sepei said:
    auction fee of 10%. For me the 10% on ebay is already to high and a new platform with already 10% this is just .....

I think it's a fair fee. I've seen companies giving bigger recurring discounts than that. It's a one-time fee.

@Jonchun said:
    Agreed with above. Useless site if there's going to be a fee. Just use wht, let or eBay.

It's just that. Another platform.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited August 2015

Jonchun said: Just use wht, let or eBay.

I's a nice enough concept however I really don't see where the benefit is to anyone, maybe I have missed something. Why not go direct to the provider and negotiate. What is this site providing that I can't obtain myself at the same or better pricing?

It looks like the price drop happens either every 12 or 24 hours and it's $2 or thereabouts each time. Which is slow. Bet the reserves are such I would be as well going direct.

I can't say it's something I would visit again now I have seen it but good effort all the same.

• @Pat_ServerAuction said:
    It's just that. Another platform.

So why pay such a high fee when better alternatives exist?

Thanked by 2BG32 sepei
  • Thanks for your feedback.

Lee said: What is this site providing that I can't obtain myself at the same or better pricing?

It's a platform where many sellers can offer their servers. It has extensive filters, that are very useful when searching for the ideal server.

Lee said: looks like the price drop happens either every 12 or 24 hours

For the price drop interval, you can select 1/3/6/12/24 hours.

• Maybe 8% or something around that would be better as a feature. It'll make your service stand out - even if it's just a little less in fees than other services.

• 15% does seem like a lot, I'm assuming it's an entirely automated process so there isn't any labour costs for you on a per-order basis.

I'd suggest having an API for buyers and sellers to scale up.

• Jonchun said: So why pay such a high fee when better alternatives exist?

I don't see how it's a high fee. A 10% one-time fee is very fair. If you list it on ebay, it will cost you the same. Of course WHT and LET are excellent, and you shouldn't abandon them just to list exclusively on ServerAuction. It's just another platform. I don't see any other platform that makes finding the ideal server as easy with all the filters that can be applied.

• edited August 2015

@ricardo the fee is 10%. And thank you for the API suggestion. That is an excellent idea.

@FlamesRunner You are right, I will change it to 8%. Thank you for the suggestion.

• Auction fee has been changed to 8%.

• Would be grate if it was mobile enabled, it's usable on a mobile but not great and if it's an auction I would be checking regularly on my phone when I am not at my desk

• @ollietrex said:
    Would be grate if it was mobile enabled, it's usable on a mobile but not great and if it's an auction I would be checking regularly on my phone when I am not at my desk

Thanks for your feedback. Yea, it is usable on mobile, but I will come out with a mobile version in the next few weeks.

• Quick question: Would a cpu bench score be a good addition to the filtering or is it useless? I've seen it implemented at other sites.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2015
    • Add resource maximum filters; it is nice to have control over that
    • Add SSD, RAID controller, ECC RAM
    • Country/city dropdown don't filter the results when I type
    • Maybe allow user to edit columns that will show up, because datacenter seems pretty important
    • What's the point if you can't see the provider directly in the list?
  • The site is not working on my end. Can't connect

• Not sure why this didn't load on my phone, think its a site issue as it loads on the desktop. Anyway a bench/comparison feature would be good. :-) looks good!

• ZealZeal Member

Does this site actually provision servers yet? or not yet functional? Can't buy.

• I just like to play paypal sandbox, thanks :)

• perennate said: Add resource maximum filters

You mean instead of having 'RAM at least 64 gb' to have 'RAM 64 gb to 128 gb'? That is doable. I will look into that.

perennate said: Add SSD, RAID controller, ECC RAM

Thanks, I will add those.

perennate said: Country/city dropdown don't filter the results when I type

I still need to work on that. Currently, the list is populated with all the countries and cities.

perennate said: Maybe allow user to edit columns that will show up, because datacenter seems pretty important

That is a good idea. I will look into implementing that in the near future.

perennate said: What's the point if you can't see the provider directly in the list?

You mean you want to see the datacenter provider in the list? Or the seller?

@cassa said:
    The site is not working on my end. Can't connect

I think it might be an issue with SSL. I will look into that.

@HyperSpeed said:
    Not sure why this didn't load on my phone, think its a site issue as it loads on the desktop. Anyway a bench/comparison feature would be good. :-) looks good!

Yes, I think it's a problem with SSL. I will look into that. Thanks. Yea, I think it will be useful. Thank you ;)

@Zeal said:
    Does this site actually provision servers yet? or not yet functional? Can't buy.

Not yet, no. All the servers are listed for testing purposes. I just wanted to gather feedback from the community. I will try to make it clearer by displaying 'TEST AUCTION' on the server details popup.

@rokok said:
    I just like to play paypal sandbox, thanks :)

Hahaha ;) That's what it is right now, paypal sandbox party.

Thank you for all the feedback guys. I really appreciate it.

• I've added the 'test auction' notification to the server details, and 'SSD', 'ECC', 'HWR' labels to the auction listings. Going to work on the filter algorithm now.

I have another question: are SAS drives a premium feature? Should I add a label to the above labels if a server has a SAS drive?

Thanks again.
    Patrick