Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner considering charging 2-5€ per IP
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner considering charging 2-5€ per IP

gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
edited November 2012 in General

See here

Could be interesting for some LEB hosts

Comments

• KrisKris Member
    edited November 2012

Scheisse!

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

O.o that's a bit much...

• woah 0_0

• And prepare other hosts to follow. IPv4 is nearly depleted (atleast in Europe). Make your way to IPv6 folks, the sooner the better.

• well less crappy VPS hosts

• LeeLee Veteran

hmm, that's shit, a /28 which is currently €11.20 would put that at €39.20 if it was an extra €2 each and that's also after you pay the €15 a month pro fee.

Seems excessive however I won't hit on them too much yet as I suspect it's only the start. Once the first big provider makes a move like this it provides the excuse for others to follow.

• LeeLee Veteran

@chan - Congrats you win the prize for most predictably expected comment.

• Luckily we had plans to migrate our remaining hetzner servers to our new infrastructure. I've been mega annoyed with them lately anyway.

• @W1V_Lee said: @chan - Congrats you win the prize for most predictably expected comment.

Congrats to you for the most unpredicted reply prize

• LeeLee Veteran

I am surprised you thought is was unpredicted.

• NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Good thing I don't have any extra IPs, sucks if I want some in the future though..

• LeeLee Veteran

I am the same, I dont actually use more than a couple per box so I am cool on that front, but still sucks though.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Hetzner is full IPv6 capable, so no problem there, the most annoying thing for me is that few DCs in Romania have IPv6.
    OVH started the move Hetzner was expected to follow. I doubt will be more than 2 each, tho. That will seriously cut some of their business. OVH has enough customers :)

• @Maounique said: That will seriously cut some of their business.

Maybe that's what they really want? To get rid of some of the customers who generate less profit and to get more no-trouble / more profit customers.

• OVH 1 € for 1 IP (from Dec 2012)

• It's really time that IPv6 gets going. My ISP has recently stopped assigning IPv4 addresses to new customers. Apparently they only get an IPv6 address and a NATted IPv4 tunnel over IPv6.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Liam said: @francisco predicted this a while back. It won't be long before DataShack and burstnet etc follow suit.

Crazy old Fran doesn't know what he's talking about they said.

Hetzner would never raise prices they said.

WHO'S LAUGHING NOW.

I'm not, I'm kinda D: at that price.

Francisco

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

IPv4 very short in EU only, in UK and other countries no problems.

• tuxtux Member
    edited November 2012

@WebProject said: IPv4 very short in EU only, in UK and other countries no problems.

Are you sure? I think that UK is in EU.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union#Member_states

@tux said: Are you sure? I think that UK is in EU.

I haven't seen any actions by UK hosting providers, compare to OVH, MiniVPS (EU VPS), Hetzner and other EU hosting providers. One example: Hetzner is limited the number of IPs per server.

@tux said: Are you sure? I think that UK is in EU.

Forgot to mention: only geographically

• @WebProject said: Forgot to mention: only geographically

What? Geographically the UK is a part of Europe and politically a part of the EU...

Anyway the reason that Hetzner and OVH had to increase the costs of IPs is that they are both big super-budget providers. I don't think there is something similar in the UK.

• The UK is under RIPE also.

Ripe is down to it's last /8. Been discussing with them our requirements and it seems unlikely we'd get an assignment. Fees are also likely to double from RIPE for the next year. Joy..

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@WebProject said: Forgot to mention: only geographically

Wait.. what? What kinda Brit are you, you don't even know that all those EU laws apply to us, weather our government chooses to follow is a different story but we are kind of politically part of the EU.

@gsrdgrdghd said: I don't think there is something similar in the UK.

Possibly Redstation, although I wouldn't say it's super-budget.

• And considering my school has around 12k IPs assigned to it, I'm not surprised.

Easily can find /8 extra from UK Government, as they hold 51.0.0.0/8, some info:
    http://www.techweekeurope.co.uk/news/ip-addresses-uk-government-dwp-petition-93069
    UK sitting on a ton of unused IP addresses
    http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/28795-uk-sitting-on-a-ton-of-unused-ip-addresses

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited November 2012

@Chan said: well less crappy VPS hosts

Sadly some of my longterm stablest VPSs are in Hetzner DC so I can't agree with your "opinion". This potential price increase will hurt some great hosts and/or their clients. Nothing to celebrate about.
    I would hate to lose excellent Syscentral.de (uptime: 00:12:33 up 534 days, 12:51, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.009) and same goes for also great FanaticalVPS/afterburst and HostingInside just to name few.