Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Onshore / Offshore
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Onshore / Offshore

SimpleNodeSimpleNode Member
edited November 2012 in General

How did this come about orignally?
Why do people say onshore / offshore instead of the actual location?

Comments

• jhjh Member

I think the word offshore has more to do with legal standing than geographical location.

• People classify offshore as less-strict laws unlike the USA/UK/CA

• In other words, offshore = host anything you want and onshore legal stuff only. I guess it's grew upon the hosting industry even though technically offshore means anything overseas

• I've personally thought it's a mutation 'offshore banking' idea, albeit for hosting.

• ONSHORE means you can get sued easily. OFFSHORE means it will take some time.

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2012

@SimpleNode said: How did this come about orignally?

Why do people say onshore / offshore instead of the actual location?

Because some people think that just because its offshore then they could do loads of illegal shit, which == more sales, but really you are subject to the laws where you LIVE, so there is no point.

• ZeroCoolZeroCool Member
    edited November 2012

onshore many people make the meaning is Located at USA and under USA Law
    Offshore = outside of USA authority (Europe,Affrica,Latin,Asia) but many offshore hosting provider still follow USA Law for their TOS and AUP becouse they affraid got takedown.

i am use onshore vps DC USA for my site free download have many warez link download has been 2 year i running never got problem but some offshore or onshore provider very affraid about complain, just simple got complain then forward to the client to removed the content it's done but many provider can't accepted that deal

i give plus plus for my provider

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2012

On shore = USA
    Off shore = Terrorists

In before guy who doesn't get a joke. In after 30th time I've told that joke...still funny to me.

• @Jarland
    offshore = Terrorist
    Onshore =The Bigbos of Terrorist

• @jarland said: On shore = USA

Off shore = Terrorists

In before guy who doesn't get a joke. In after 30th time I've told that joke...still funny to me.

look everyone, it's the redneck is telling jokes.

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited November 2012

@jarland said: On shore = USA

Off shore = Terrorists

:D depends on what side of the Ocean you're on, for example I sincerely think that wholesaleinternet is mostly the chinese's "off shore" datacenter :D

Most of the arguments above only makes sense if you're always within the US/UK.

• MrXMrX Member
    edited November 2012

On forums like LET and WHT, when someone asks for an offshore host they are almost always looking for somewhere to host warez or hacking/carding sites. And yes, there are jurisdictions where you can host such things without any difficulties.

But there are more legitimate motives for going offshore. Some seek hosting outside of the US and most of western Europe lest they face reprisals from draconian laws or frivolous lawsuits. Others may need to host in offshore, in for example Costa Rica or Curaçao, because their business requires it for legislative purposes.

Privacy is also a reason some seek hosting offshore, be it through strict privacy laws or by the offshore host (knowingly or not) accepting customers with anonymous or fake details. As long as you pay your bills on time, many offshore hosts are perfectly fine with your name being Mr. Qwerty Asdf with the easy-to-remember phone number +123123123.