Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ERST: Failed to get Error Log Address
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ERST: Failed to get Error Log Address

Steven_FSteven_F Member
edited August 2015 in Help

I posted on WHT with no luck. Maybe someone here might have an idea.

I've been unable to install CentOS 6.6 and 6.7 (5 and 7 work, though) on any of our servers*. We keep getting this error: ERST: Failed to get Error Log Address.

I tried the advice on SuperMicro's website. No luck. If anyone has any ideas or experience, I'd greatly appreciate some help. Firmware is the latest for all mobos.

During installation, the node will ping. However, once installation completes, all bets are off.

• SuperMicro X8S and Dell R210 II servers. I have not confirmed on our E3-1230 v2 servers yet.

Comments

• J1021J1021 Member
    edited August 2015

No idea. Maybe time to renew?

• @kcaj said:

What license are you referring to?

• I found this here, does it help?

For “ERST: Failed to get Error Log Address Range” this type of event message, you can do one of following items to get workaround. 
    1. Disable ACPI with command “acpi=off” in boot grub 
    2. Disable WHEA option from enable to disable in BIOS setup menu 
    The reason is WHEA requesting ACPI 4.0 table support. Recently, X8 DP series do not support ACPI 4.0 feature (only ACPI 3.0). This is why you will see this warming message shown up during OS boot.

• @Steven_F said:
    What license are you referring to?

Any that you let expire on purpose in order to discipline yourself, I presume.

• @mpkossen said:

Thanks for the help.

@Amitz said:

I attempted both fixed, neither worked. This is also not just on our SuperMicro servers, it's on our Dell R210 IIs (broadcom NICs).

• @Steven_F said:
    Thanks for the help.

It's good that you finally admit you need help. It's the first step.

• @mpkossen said:

I'm glad that the site has such a great administrator.

• Is this the error i managed to get to break the server?

• @Steven_F said:
    I'm glad that the site has such a great administrator.

Me too.

If you'd just put half the effort I put into this site into BoltVM, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Thanked by 2WHT J1021
  • @mpkossen said:
    If you'd just put half the effort I put into this site into BoltVM, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

C'mon give it a rest. I know he fucked up but you must have in your life. I know I've made mistakes so have all of us. He fixed it didn't he? I'm sure you wouldn't like it if people brought up your mistakes in every thread. Just give it a rest, please and this wasn't a rant at you one I've been wanting to address to LET for sometime.

• @TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    C'mon give it a rest. I know he fucked up but you must have in your life. I know I've made mistakes so have all of us. He fixed it didn't he? I'm sure you wouldn't like it if people brought up your mistakes in every thread. Just give it a rest, please and this wasn't a rant at you one I've been wanting to address to LET for sometime.

Oh come on, be real.

He only fixed it when he felt like it (in other words, when the attack stopped) and failed to inform his customers for quite some days. On top of that, he admitted that he let his WHMCS license expire on purpose in order to remind him to keep working on his own panel. Never mind putting up a maintenance notice or static page. A database error is a good message to clients, supposedly.

That follows a pattern on laziness which we've seen before; one that's been discussed and which he told me we wouldn't be seeing anymore.

• @mpkossen I agree, I know he has done wrong and yes he should have done xyz. That wasn't the point of what I wrote at all. Mine was we all make mistakes and its human. The second one I was hoping would be taken more than the first was that what you don't like don't do. I agree my little escaped with CC and LEB was wrong but you don't want me bringing that up what 1,2.3,4 months down the line. That's what I was trying to say ;)

• TinyTunnel_Tom said: Mine was we all make mistakes and its human.

Sure. But most people learn from their mistakes, which is something Steven doesn't seem to do (yet). And given it shows a pattern, it's still relevant.

I wouldn't drag people through the mud because they've made a mistake and learned from it, because I applaud that. I only do when they don't learn from their mistakes.

• @mpkossen perfect. Then let's let Steve fix the server I broke :P

• Have you tried a different ISO?

• @OnraHost said:

Yes, I've tried 6.7 and 6.6 from different mirrors.

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

@Steven_F said:
    Yes, I've tried 6.7 and 6.6 from different mirrors.

What is motherboard model?

• @key900 said:

One is a SM X8S something. The other is a Broadcom motherboard. I'm on the road, so I don't have the exacts.

• wychwych Member

Whats happening over iDRAC/KVM (if you have them) ?

• @wych said:
    Whats happening over iDRAC/KVM (if you have them) ?

No IDRAC. I have to purchase the express and enterprise add ons, which I'm debating.

@Steven_F said:

X8SIE-F ?

• @key900 said:

Sounds right. I'm pretty sure that's it.

@Steven_F said:

Try install Centos 5. eth0 will keep failing with Centos 6.

• @key900 said:

5 does work, as does 7. The problem is 6.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

The warning message you included in the first post has nothing to do with your issue.

You should probably hire an admin who has more experience to help you.

Thanked by 1Spencer

@Steven_F said:

There is an issue with this motherboard and newer Centos but one of my staff fix it not sure how. i will ask him and let you know.

• Steven_F said: During installation, the node will ping. However, once installation completes, all bets are off.

If you then monitor the server through the KVM, does it boot?

• @MarkTurner said:
    If you then monitor the server through the KVM, does it boot?

It boots, but the networking doesn't work.

• @Steven_F - what about the NICs what are they?

What is the output of

lspci -v

and

lsmod

You can PM me if you prefer.

• i guess you need to recompile the nic driver