Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Digitalocean and Tunlr.com
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Digitalocean and Tunlr.com

Dear Colleagues,

I am wondering if it is possible to rent a singapore VPS on digitalocean and set its dns to tunlr.com?

If it possible, it is much appreciated if you can share the clue to accomplish that.

My aim is to watch netflix thorough VPN and i am choosing Singapore due to its short latency from Indonesia.

Thank you so much and have a great day.

Comments

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited August 2015

Yeah I'm sure you can change DNS servers with any provider (I think even on OpenVZ you can)

Maybe @anthonysmith's lowendspirit.com is a much cheaper option if it can be done without IPv4

Thanked by 1ytapjani
  • You can modify DNS look ups on the VPS server by editing /etc/resolv.conf and add the following nameserver some.ips.here or add the following lines to your OpenVPN's server.conf

push "dhcp-option DNS some.ip.here"
    push "dhcp-option DNS some.other.ip.here"

Thanked by 1ytapjani
  • rokokrokok Member
    edited August 2015

Best latency from indonesia is leaseweb singapore ;p

Thanked by 2ytapjani click4easy
  • Netflix only checks location on login. Thus you only need a DNSProxy, NOT a VPN. All traffic from the CDN will go to any location e.g. Indonesia - so no need for a VPN as you don't need to fake location after login.

I'd suggest looking at this and hosting it for your Netflix needs.

https://github.com/trick77/dockerflix

Thanked by 2ytapjani NanoG6
  • Thank you for all the suggestion to @hostnoob @black @rokok. With your advice, i am learning and I am successfully build a DO server, activate its PPTP and point its DNS to tunlr.com. A Singapore vps with access to netflix US :)

Thanks also to @jeromeza, currently my fixed line ISP is Telkom Indonesia and they are applying Transparent Proxy which enforce me to use their own DNS server so i am not evdn be able to use OpenDNS :( which is also services like unotelly.com and tunlr.com

Another idea will be much appreciated and i am sure will be useful to others :)

Have a nice weekend...

• jeromezajeromeza Member
    edited August 2015

@ytapjani

Ok, so how about:

1.) VPN to DigitalOcean etc but only for LOGIN. You could use something like iptables or DNSMasq to force traffic like this. Check the Dockerflix above for the domains / url's you'd need to push.
    2.) All traffic to Netflix CDN is then local e.g. Indonesia > Netflix and not Indonesia > DO > Netflix. This means no overhead on the VPN and loss of bandwidth etc.

OR if you've got a smart enough router then why not simply say that DNS requests to your ISP DNS get forwarded to your VPS etc, this should get around that problem.

• The best sollution to watch netflix via dns that I ever found is netproxy: https://github.com/skorokithakis/netproxy

It's very simple to setup because it uses a docker container.