Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is OVH ddos protection good?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

is OVH ddos protection good?

Hi,

I heard that OVH ddos protection is really bad on IRC. And on some website too. So ramnode or buyvm ddos protection is "a lot better" than OVH? They all block UDP flood?

Thanks

Comments

• nexmarknexmark Member
    edited August 2015

If you don't need UDP, You can just drop it on OVH's Firewall.

Overall it's pretty decent, better than nothing.

If you want something that works beautifully, try RamNode's Seattle location with the filtered IP, it should be CNservers (I think) which is amazingly good.

Another option would be Voxility, Search around LET tons of Voxility guys here.

• thanks a lot

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Depends on what service you want to protect too, but OVH isn't "really bad". For a website and non-L7 attacks you would be mostly fine. In the case of some UDP gameservers, it could be a different history.

nexmark said: CNservers (I think) which is amazingly good

Wow, I wouldn't classify CNservers as "amazingly good".

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • nexmarknexmark Member
    edited August 2015

@Nyr said:
    Depends on what service you want to protect too, but OVH isn't "really bad". For a website and non-L7 attacks you would be mostly fine. In the case of some UDP gameservers, it could be a different history.

Wow, I wouldn't classify CNservers as "amazingly good".

Compared to OVH, it's definitely a step up. OVH also now has a GAME mode now it seems, perhaps that's more improved for gameservers, I wouldn't know :P

• OVH ddos protection works really well L3/L4 but as others have said I wouldn't rely on them for webserver protection. I have my website hosted at OVH but I had to get additional protection for it.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I would say it is amazingly good for the price in case of big attacks. For regular up to 10-20 Gbps others work well, but when it comes in 100 Gbps, almost all other providers would brown their pants.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

OVH Anti-DDoS Game protection support L3/L4/L7 attacks, but haven't seen any reviews about it.

Thanked by 1lifehome
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

If you're looking for best in bread look for Arbour.

• @Clouvider said:

That damn spell checker!

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • @pascalp said:
    Hi,

I heard that OVH ddos protection is really bad on IRC. And on some website too. So ramnode or buyvm ddos protection is "a lot better" than OVH? They all block UDP flood?

Thanks

OVH is good (very good for the price, IE nothing)

• deployvmdeployvm Member, Host Rep

@Clouvider said:

+1 for Arbor Pravail (L7 filtering specifically). It works well also for Layer 3 and 4 based attacks.

If you are a large ISP, Arbor Peakflow TMS may be offered.

• cupidcupid Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2015

ovh servers are good but you will get no support with them, and they don't have ipmi on there server, you can order ipkvm but when i order one i doesn't work, so if you have any issues with server your in problem.

also they probit to enter your server even if you ask them to do that.

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • anyone got any thoughts on Black Lotus while we are at it? recent thoughts.. like last 3-4 months.

• doesn't OVH use Arbor as well?

• deployvmdeployvm Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2015

@century1stop said:
    doesn't OVH use Arbor as well?

They do, but I believe not all traffic is passed through their Arbor devices. So don't expect Arbor protection on every standard service. This should also be clarified too.

https://www.ovh.co.uk/anti-ddos/arbor.xml

They have a cluster of mitigation systems.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Still have Gameserver's running at OVH, in case of the Port is directly attacked, we notice some seconds a lagg then its nearly gone within like 30 seconds.

I have the feeling that the Game Protection is active for all OVH brand servers, not just there game thingys.

• @deployvm said:
    They have a cluster of mitigation systems.

well yea, but for the price we pay, I have no complaints.

• OVH's firewall can be very powerful, if you know how to use it. If you're under attack and VAC isn't working, you can set up custom rules which will be able to fix the problems a lot of the time. I understand it can be a pain since it's not fully automatic, but some things are just going to require a human to look and analyze the patterns.

@Infinity580 Can confirm. We have servers with OVH and we have the option to enable their Game firewall, which was recently added.

• @HostMyBytes said:

you can always put mitigation to "permanent".

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2015

cupid said: ovh servers are good but you will get no support with them, and they don't have ipmi on there server, you can order ipkvm but when i order one i doesn't work, so if you have any issues with server your in problem.

No idea what you're talking about. All OVH brand (non KS/SYS) dedicated servers have remote KVM + rescue mode.

• @cupid said:
    ovh servers are good but you will get no support with them, and they don't have ipmi on there server, you can order ipkvm but when i order one i doesn't work, so if you have any issues with server your in problem.

also they probit to enter your server even if you ask them to do that.

I think you've probably used servers from Kimsufi or SYS only (which are their budget brands) because all OVH servers have IPMI & KVMoIP included by default, you do not need to order them separately & they work without any issues.

• cupidcupid Member, Host Rep

yes, i was using SYS (soyoustart.com)

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@kcaj said:
    That damn spell checker!

Sorry, mobile.

• cupid said: ovh servers are good but you will get no support with them

Huh? Every ticket I've opened with them, they've responded within 3 hours. They have great support.

• perennate said: All OVH brand (non KS/SYS) dedicated servers have remote KVM + rescue mode.

I own a Kimsufi and I do have rescue mode.

• Infinity580 said: I have the feeling that the Game Protection is active for all OVH brand servers, not just there game thingys.

Probably not. You can test if the game ddos protection is active by installing a teamspeak server, joining it and then, while being on the server, change your ip.
    If you get a timeout and get reconnected, OVH game ddos protection is active.
    OVH's game ddos protection has some udp session handling and it will drop you if you get a new IP while being in a session.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @praesidium said:
    OVH ddos protection works really well L3/L4 but as others have said I wouldn't rely on them for webserver protection. I have my website hosted at OVH but I had to get additional protection for it.

Well, it's not hard to use NGINX and check if the "conectee" is a nice, gold robot trying to attack or a legitimate user.

• @Clouvider said:

Samsung? They are duckers for it.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@HostMyBytes

Eh, i have a old OVH Dedi, cant enable it but permanent mitingation. Shit.