Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[How] Sync dropbox with Linux VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[How] Sync dropbox with Linux VPS

sonicsonic Veteran
edited November 2012 in Help

Hi,
I have arround 50GB family images on my Linux VPS, and i want to sync it daily with my dropbox account. Anyone here know how to do, please link me to tutorial coz i'm noob; read some tut but not work. Tks!!

Comments

• I wrote it days before.
    http://tanvps.com/vps/255.html

• Though with a box.net account (not sure if they're still doing the 50GB promotion), you could hack up a connection via WebDAV on the linux VPS, and sync to it without having to keep the content on the VPS itself.

• @kbeezie said: Though with a box.net account (not sure if they're still doing the 50GB promotion), you could hack up a connection via WebDAV on the linux VPS, and sync to it without having to keep the content on the VPS itself.

Does box.net already have a decent client for Android, Mac and Windows?

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited November 2012

@djvdorp for android, iOS yes, sorta ok for Windows 8 metro (treated like a tablet app). They don't have a desktop app per se like dropbox unless you pay for some kind of business version.

I got 50GB with mine back when they were having a promotion on signing up to box.net via iOS, which I then was able to also install onto my android phone, and windows 8 (as a modern app). (though I find it odd that dropbox doesn't have a windows 8 modern UI app yet, but guess thats where the "all my storage" app comes in).

box.net works fine mobile-wise, sucks if you're trying to get it on a desktop environment. I mainly like it because it's literally remote storage, you don't have to keep a copy on the local machine.

By the way here's a small write up on mounting box.net onto an unbuntu system. http://blog.nguyenvq.com/2011/12/08/mount-box-net-on-ubuntu-linux-via-webdav/

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited November 2012

PS: I'm gona try the dropbox method mentioned above on FreeBSD (via linux binary compatibility) and see if that works. (they don't have a freebsd version of dropboxd yet).

Edit: No Go, it's not an ELF binary, it's a POSIX shell script.

• marrcomarrco Member
    edited November 2012

i'm using this bash script. Supports multipart uploads and many more features

• :P on the FreeBSD side, I'll refrain from installing the BASH shell if I can help it :P

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

If I remember correct, theres a guide on the dropbox site about how you get it to work.

I did it once as a test and if I can do it, anyone can do it. :)

• @MikHo said: If I remember correct, theres a guide on the dropbox site about how you get it to work.

dropbox supports Ubuntu Desktop OS

• @kbeezie said: :P on the FreeBSD side, I'll refrain from installing the BASH shell if I can help it :P

what's so bad about bash

• @corey , least on FreeBSD: http://wiki.freebsd.org/AvoidingLinuxisms , http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/linux-users/shells.html

Also bash itself is large and slow (hence why some distros like ubuntu, debian etc migrated to dash), also most of the task/script/etc designed for BSD are usually designed for /bin/sh or /bin/csh, not /usr/local/bin/bash.

though I think the biggest reason bash isn't included by default on FreeBSD is due to it's GPLv3 licensing, as opposed to BSD licensing

• @kbeezie Bash seems pretty fast to me when I use it.

Those links didn't say anything bad about bash.. just said make sure you aren't using bash commands because there isn't bash on there, and In the event of a problem the file systems

• DropBox is definitely useful with the dropbox_uploader.sh script and especially as it supports multipart uploads as @marrco mentioned.

Though even less than the 2GB DropBox offers, StrongSpace.com have a free 1GB SFTP plan which is also very useful.