Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GetKVM and MiniVPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GetKVM and MiniVPS

krokro Member
edited November 2012 in General

Incomming cry rage.

[Providers]
Don't offer locations you cannot support/unwilling to support long term.. It screws people like me(client) hard from behind.
Don't get into the lowend market, offer great deals that are not sustainable.

[Readers]
One offers Germany as replacement, the other offers United Kingdom.
Guys i feel these are dime a dozen compared to original locations in this market.

[Future Providers]
And to all the other providers, let this be a lesson where possible..
Don't forget about possible price increases, make sure you keep that shit in mind before you pump out the deals.
Clearly these guys are most likely not cracking it in. Hence why unable to take on sudden costs / future IP space....

[My cry end]
You get what you pay for i guess.

Comments

• I'm confused....

• Up and out of NL, into DE..
    I thought he was fresh into getKVM and its location, didn't do any long term planning i dont think (maybe not forseeable?)

• @kro said: Up and out of NL, into DE..

When did this happen? I know they were advertising for NL a week or so ago. He was looking for a US location but I guess that didn't work out.

• @numim Today i believe, got my new IP and everything once i'd woke up.

• Everything has risk.

• but i feel you @kro its really painful....

• Seems like they don't offer NL anymore: can't order it any longer. Wasn't the best DC anyway, but still. It's a shame.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

There is already a thread about minivps moving out of ovh because of the sudden increase of ip price.

• As @GetKVM_Ash probably has already mentioned to everyone who was hosted at their NL location, any GetKVM clients who require a KVM VPS in Netherlands can open a ticket with sales[@]fusioned.net (or PM me here if you want) and we can work out custom deals with each and everyone of you so that you see no increase in monthly pricing.

• @kro said: Don't offer locations you cannot support/unwilling to support long term.. It screws people like me(client) hard from behind.

The reason why MiniVPS moved out of OVH is: OVH started charging 1€ per IP per month. If you have thousands of IP's, that's not a nice thing to have to deal with as a company.

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

@kro, as @birdie25 said above, it was due to OVH and charging extra for IP's. Yes, you say that they might not have been making enough to have been able to handle it, but this is the LowEnd market, you're not dealing with Linode here, and considering how low MiniVPS was priced, how on earth could you expect them to be able to cope with those price increases?

Also, how could they have possibly planned for that?

By your logic all providers should either:

1) Not exist because they can't plan for things which are completely unexpected
    2) All charge crap loads more, just in case their DC starts to charge loads more for IP's

Seriously, grow up, shit happens.

• Just want to clear something up here..

We could have swallowed the increase in costs for IP addresses, that wouldn't have been a problem however this would have been at the expense of future growth and sustainability. To put it in to 'real world' figures, the cost of IP address would have been equivalent to 1 months salary for a level 2 tech. That puts any business in a difficult situation. You either keep some customers happy and as a result have to let 1 employee go and operate at a loss for a large percentage of your business OR, you make the difficult choice that's going to upset a (very) small minority of customers so you keep someone in employment and your business remains sustainable and in a position to grow. I'm quite sure the vast majority of people will opt for the latter.

It's also worth noting that out of the ~600 customers we've moved so far we have received only 3 complaints about the move and 7 cancellations in total. While we don't want to upset any customer (and believe me, we've bent over backwards to accommodate apprehensive customers) we do, as a business, have to make difficult choices like this for the 'greater good'. So far everything has gone quite smoothly (with a few minor hiccups) and the feedback from customers has been excellent. It's just disheartening that some customers cannot see what we are doing is for their benefit and not because we're trying to be difficult or maximise the the amount of cash going in to our wallets. The alternative would have been to shut up shop (like so many others do) and leave customers high and dry.

Which would you prefer?

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

I think they'd be the first to agree that using OVH was dangerous to begin with. Just my two cents, not looking to get involved in any drama.

• I think @kro 's comments are more on preventive.

• It's always a danger dealing with big companies, I guess. Especially after my situation at BurstNET.

@Nick_A said: I think they'd be the first to agree that using OVH was dangerous to begin with. Just my two cents, not looking to get involved in any drama.

• @Nick_A is that because OVH have a reputation for unexpected price changes or?

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

It's for a variety of reasons, although not that one in particular. Anyway I'm really not trying to get involved in more drama here so I'm going to pull myself out of this thread pronto.

• I don't think it's really fair that you haven't Included any details on why we did this. But I will post the email sent to clients shortly when in at my desk. It's certainly not down to been unsustainable but I appreciate your frustration.

• As you are aware from the email we sent out yesterday we have the opportunity to move to our own hardware thanks to a substantial cash investment in our company. We have taken all feedback from our NL customers into deep consideration, with the majority of clients happy to move to our Dusseldorf infrastructure, however there are a few exceptions and we are deeply sorry to those select few customers which do not want to be moved over. We understand this move may be inconvenient to some, but we have to consider our future sustainability both with hardware and IP space.

We have now officially made the decision to move NL clients over to our DE facility, outlined below are the options available to our NL clients.

1) Migrate to DE, all of your data will remain intact and we will handle the migration. A change of IP is required.
    2) Cancel your service and receive a refund for your remaining service time by submitting a support ticket to our billing department.

We don't want to see you leave but we understand that some clients have no other choice, we will be happy to provide a downloadable backup for any customers that decide to cancel their services and even recommend new/trusted NL providers that we believe can live up to the same level of service as us.

For clients wishing to migrate, we will begin migrations on the 18th and hopefully finish them by the end of the day on the19th. If you wish to be moved before then, simply contact our support department, we can start migrating accounts from the time you receive this email.

This migration will bring with it a number of improvements, including less VPS per physical host node thanks to our cost savings and the roll-out of Gbit (10x Faster than our current 100Mbit ports) connections by the end of January 2013.

Once again, please accept our apologies for the inconvenience that may be caused by this migration.

Best Regards,
    The GetKVM Team.

• I love you all, forgot i raged this morning, good vent.

If i had to reply to all of those comments, I'd be here for hours, as with most of my threads, its to generate some kind of reaction from the community :)

This e-mail message, including any attachments, is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged and/or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the communication to the intended recipient, please notify us immediately by replying to this message and then delete this message from your system. You are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution and/or reproduction of this message and/or any attachments by unintended recipients is unauthorized and may be unlawful. Furthermore, although we have taken precautions to minimize the risk of transmitting software viruses, we advise you to perform your own virus checks on any attachment to this message. We do not accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software viruses.

• shit happens. but if host do their best in good faith, then its ok.

• @GetKVM_Ash If I may ask, what made you choose a DC in NL with such crappy connectivity when you're in Equinix in DE? I mean, there's like 7 DCs in Amsterdam alone with a AMS-IX PoP, you basically only need Level3 and something like Cogent or Tiscali from there on and you've got great connectivity. Alblasserdam is like 2nd rate connectivity-wise.

Also, what made you leave?

• We invested a substantial amount of money on our own hardware and upon requesting client feedback on the possibility of the move, most didn't mind so it made sense to cut our expenses and fill what we had available rather than keep on one node in NL.

• @MartinD - I just wanted to tell you that in the end I think you made the right choices in dealing with this. Yes, it meant another .UK server instead of a .FR one, which was a slight disappointment, but as I said before in my post in another thread I have never had problems with your services. I am glad that you were able to find a way to resolve the issue without having to charge your customers more, or let go of any employees. In my opinion you did a great job at saving face here, and it is the reason I renewed my services with you for another year. Here's to another year of great services at MiniVPS, Cheers!

• @TheLinuxBug said: Here's to another year of great services at MiniVPS, Cheers!

Thanks for your kind words :) In many ways you've summed up what most of our clients have been saying!