Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LEB VPS Servers....
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LEB VPS Servers....

michaelsmichaels Member
edited November 2011 in General

Ok all. I am thinking about getting a couple of dedicated servers and setting up a small VPS offering, tbh it will probably end up being for friends and family, although I might grow it into a commercial offering eventually. I am about to invest in a full rack in a DC for my existing customers so this will sit in that rack.

Anyway my question is, of those offering commercial VPSes how many of you are running VPSes on a cluster with some form of high availability? Do people who buy LEB's consider this to be essential? I am thinking about KVM on Centos with with DRBD/GFS. Any thoughts?

TIA

Michael

Comments

• A rack, for friends and family :O You must have a big family.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Tbh. As a LEB user I wouldn't really care too much about clusters etc. If there is network downtime then your whole rack will be down, same with a power failure etc. If you can however spare the expenses then go for it but just be sure not to end in the dead pool.

• If your going to go the cluster/cloudish way, it would probably be onapp/xen and then your probably not going to want to supply to the lowend market.

Unless as Infinity said, you fancy a trip to the deadpool :P

• hehe @vmport nah not a rack for the family! Was thinking about a couple of HP DL160's running a cluster for the VPSes for family, so they only get 2U! The LEB VPS is more of an interest.
    @Infinity Not sure I would ever make it into a commercial offering, was just interested in the thoughts of others, thanks for your input!

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • No deadpooling for me! Even if it did go commercial the rack and the bandwidth would already be covered by the other customers in the rack. I would probably only ever sell a few VPSes, might not even dare go into the LEB side of it.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

If you are willing to offer 64-138mb VPS with a very good price (I promise not to overload them, just backup) I might be a customer

• bobinfobobinfo Member
    edited November 2011

I do believe that LEB people don't really care if it's cloud / san / whatever

they just look at the price and buy if it's cheap (just look at the comments, i'd believe that many users even don't care if it's raid 10 or not)

there are two visions: small nodes (16-24GB node, quad/dual quad cores, RAID 10) if a node goes down, it goes down but you have other nodes that say up. Other solutions if the cloud way - be carefull that your network storage is not your single point of failure.

Usually cloud way doesn't makes it way onto the LEB market though. I wonder if there are some LEB providers technically based with a cloud thing though.

Might be your thing, if it can work for you economically speaking :D

• I think urgentVPS is. If i even have the right name :P

• I do believe that LEB people don't really care if it's cloud / san / whatever

We've had a couple of conversations over the term cloud and how many of the people here think of it as a dirty word that's over- and misused.

• Sure, it's over and misused because the mainstream media just like to tell the cloud this and the cloud that..

Makes that many providers want to surf on the cloud wave at this wave smells like good money :D

• Here's the discussion I was thinking of on one of the older versions of the forum:

http://v2.lowendtalk.com/questions/7445/why-do-companies-overuse-the-word-cloud

• @michaels
    I'm sure most of you have noticed that I'm in Africa so a dual redundant cloud style setup is the only way I would be comfortable as I am not able to drive to the dc or jump on a quick flight to get to my shop if I need to. It does cost a bit more to run a decent HA setup "about 4 times the cost" but I would not be able to sleep if I did it any other way. The main cost is the storage fabric, man those 10GB nics are pricey, I think my back-end is worth about 6 new nodes. Crazy I must be Crazy?

• As a VMware sysadmin for a day job, I agree with thoughts on the cloud, it doesn't exist yet. Although at work we run a multi-server hyper visor (everrun ft if your interested) its the reverse of VMware many physical to one virtual! I didn't mention cloud as they will be in the same rack! I was thinking two DL160s and two Netgear ReadyNASes (don't diss them they run VMware NFS data stores fine). Anyway an intreseting discussion. Keep it coming. Thanks guys.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Will you be bonding your NICs for performance/failover? If so, what mode will you be using? Just curious as I've switched it a few times and still not sure our current mode is right or not.

• Yes I would bond the NICs. I would either use the HP tools or bridge-utils and iptables. I have a spare DL160 G6, so going to build a kvm test server hopefully this week. Also looking at an HP Microserver (they have £100 cash back at the moment) and do some proper playing/testing at home.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Keep in mind there are 6 bonding modes I think.