Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inexpensive KVM or VPS (don't know which) for hosting website and personal cloud / Yearly
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Inexpensive KVM or VPS (don't know which) for hosting website and personal cloud / Yearly

Hey Guys,

I've searched and I can't seem to find anything that matches my needs.

I'm only looking to spend, probably tops, $30 a year (anything more than that will have the wife asking questions).

So I current have https://bandwagonhost.com/vps-hosting.php and I'm paying $9.99 (meant to be $19.98, but I get 50% discount each year, recurring, but they could stop that any time) which gives me

512 Ram
5GB HDD
500GB Bandwidth

I host my own personal website, nothing that would generate a lot of hits, but I was also wanting to do a 'ownCloud' setup, as I just don't think that DropBox and/or Mega or similar are helping me.

I tried to get Pydio setup on a home machine, but I was having issues, I think it's time for that machine to get re-images, trying xampp, Wamp, etc so I am giving up on that. So wanting to turn to a VPS/KVM with Linux on it.

Ideally, if these even are around, I'd like one that maybe has a front end (web-based GUI), as I'm not fully confident with Linux and the CMD line. If not, I'll have to rely on my Linux buddy more often. :(

Can anybody help and/or point me in the right directions.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited August 2015

@peejaygee OpenVZ 512MB dedicated RAM, 20GB dedicated HDD, 5TB BW, 1 Gbit port, DDoS mitigation @ $3/mo, please pm if interested, thanks

• time4vps.eu should fit your budget and has 500GB HDD.

If you just want file sync you can use rsync + maybe web server. Maybe even easier would be BTSync (closed source).

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2015

KVM or VPS

Makes about as much sense as "a car or a Ford". I'd say it's a bit early for you to be managing your own servers, with this level of understanding of the underlying technologies.

Thanked by 1nexusrain
  • Why don't you get a http://littlehappycloud.net/ or http://littlehappycloud.net/singapore/ if more space like 60GB.

I found these very useful. Quick and great!

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran
    Thanked by 1dcc
  • @4n0nx said:
    time4vps.eu should fit your budget and has 500GB HDD.

If you just want file sync you can use rsync + maybe web server. Maybe even easier would be BTSync (closed source).

your word, 'maybe' and the fact I can't find a TOS worries me a touch, wouldn't want to buy, the "storage server" and then find it won't host a site.

I might have to email them and ask them if I would be breaking any terms of service.

• I can do $25/yr - link in sig, promo code LET50

512MB RAM
    20GB RAID HDD
    200GB Bandwidth
    2 vCPU Cores
    Free InterworX (10 domains)
    Virtualizor Control Panel
    1 x IPv4 + /112 IPv6

or I can do shared hosting. $1 per GB per year. it has cpanel/softaculous, so you can autoinstall owncloud. 1MB/s i/o limit, in case that's an issue

• peejaygee said: your word, 'maybe' and the fact I can't find a TOS worries me a touch, wouldn't want to buy, the "storage server" and then find it won't host a site.

I might have to email them and ask them if I would be breaking any terms of service.

aw well I don't know how much you know about Linux. :D I am pretty sure they just call it "storage" because of the high storage space and that you can do anything you want with it.. but checking support response time before buying is also a good idea. :p

• @rm_ said:
    Makes about as much sense as "a car or a Ford". I'd say it's a bit early for you to be managing your own servers, with this level of understanding of the underlying technologies.

Well I'd avoid a FORD now-a-days.

But that was more of a "hey guys, you with the more experience, what would you choose?"... I can search the internet and find differences, but it was more from an past experience guidelines.... we are all 'n00bs' at some point, obviously some people get to the 'l33t' status quicker than others.

• @4n0nx said:
    aw well I don't know how much you know about Linux. :D I am pretty sure they just call it "storage" because of the high storage space and that you can do anything you want with it.. but checking support response time before buying is also a good idea. :p

I know the basic's of Linux, but I have a good friend who helps me from time to time when I get stuck, it's his day-2-day job, but I know he enjoys getting me out of a pickle now and again.. I did email them and I'll await their reply.

• @4n0nx
    time4vps.eu utilises OpenVZ

@peejaygee
    Aruba has a pretty good offer at ~$13,30 a year (w/o VAT).

• @peejaygee said:
    I know the basic's of Linux, but I have a good friend who helps me from time to time when I get stuck, it's his day-2-day job, but I know he enjoys getting me out of a pickle now and again.. I did email them and I'll await their reply.

We can get you a server setup today with the specifications of your needs (custom). If you need help with anything we have 24/7 ticket support. Tickets average about 5-10 minute responses. If your not that good with Linux its fine we have your back. I sent you a PM about the matter.

• ManiacManiac Member
    edited August 2015

Oh! @peejaygee, there's an awesome course at Codecademy that could help you get familiar with Linux commands. I can assure you it's worth your time.

• Or you could just use those conviniently created man pages from your operating system...

• You can try these fake cloud providers for hourly billing:
    digitalocean.com
    vultr.com - vultr.com/freetrial $60 credit for 60days

See also https://www.linode.com and http://iwstack.com/.
    http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/30605/hourly-billing-vps

If you sign up with digitalocean, please use my affiliate link or a coupon from google.

With these you can try any servers/stacks and disband them once you had your fun. You can also store your vms as isos on Digitalocean and have them store it for you. You can then redeploy them later. This is great for desktop linux for example. You can probably store isos/snapshots on the other providers, too.

For dedicated servers, these are recommended:
    ovh.com
    online.net
    hetzner.de
    dacentec.com
    delimitervps.com

^^ These above are out of question for your budget, but they are supposed to be great/acceptable/good enough.

• @FlamesRunner said:
    Or you could just use those conviniently created man pages from your operating system...

That's an awesome advice to someone who's completely unfamiliar with terminal.

• If you can SSH, running man bash will give you a bit of insight.

• SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep

I have a KVM VPS offer for $38.40/year

• 512MB RAM

• 6GB RAID10 SSD

• 1TB Bandwidth

Let me know if you are interested. I am sorry I cannot make your budget for $30/year.

• VereloxVerelox Member
    edited August 2015

We might be able to do the following for you:

RAM: 512 MB
    HDD: 15 GB
    Processor: 1 Core (3+ GHz)
    Bandwidth: 1 TB/mo

Virtualization: KVM
    Network Speed: up to 1Gbps
    Locations: Canada/France (ping/speed test: http://verelox.com/cloud#locations)

Price: €2.5/mo (billed hourly, you can cancel anytime)

As for the web-based GUI, do you mean a control panel to manage your websites? Maybe you can give VestaCP a try in this case. If you are asking about a control panel to manage the cloud server itself however, you can find more about our control panel here

Feel free to drop me a message if you are interested!