Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We Love Servers - Good pricing, regular offers, but spotty performance
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

We Love Servers - Good pricing, regular offers, but spotty performance

CraigWatsonCraigWatson Member
edited August 2015 in Reviews

I've been a WLS customer for years now and have moved several times from plan to plan as a result of their incredibly tempting periodic offers.

Even though they don't advertise refunds, Joshua in their CS team has been great on a number of occasions, refunding the full quarterly bill when he technically shouldn't have done.

Unfortunately, I have hit several issues with high IO - from 20 to 50-plus percent iowait in top - resulting in an SSH login taking upwards of 30 seconds, and rendering the entire VPS pretty much unusable.

After raising numerous support tickets - each time resulting in someone supposedly making a very non-specific change and claiming the issue is fixed, I can only surmise that their London DCs resources are hugely overcommitted.

I'm unsure if these issues persist into other datacentres, but unfortunately their London location is pretty consistently bottlenecked and I'd much rather give someone else a go than fight things out.

Update - just been doing a bit more digging, it seems likely that the node is swapping quite a bit, as I have 361MB in use (6GB available) and 227MB in swap! One of my processes is also swapping 99% of the time according to iotop, so the culprit looks like overcommitted RAM.

Comments

• WHTWHT Member

This is when someone put 300 clients in a server. But you get what you pay for.

• I've seen this on one of their London nodes as well.

Have you asked WLS about this?

Thanked by 1CraigWatson
  • I'm client with them from last 2 yrs. Yes their nodes are very bad performance never had 30 days uptime with them.

Now I just use their VPS for free vps website until their VPS expire.

• @mpkossen said:
    I've seen this on one of their London nodes as well.

Have you asked WLS about this?

I have, and they're ultimately going through the motions and just making 'changes' without actually telling me what they're doing - I'm a syadmin myself so I don't really like vague replies!

I've already been migrated twice (I think, may be three times) and it took them over 24 hours at one point. Would have been quicker to go to the DC myself!

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • @CraigWatson said:
    I've already been migrated twice (I think, may be three times) and it took them over 24 hours at one point.

Ouch... That doesn't sound too good.

• I had a wonderful experience in their Germany location, server was great. But then they closed that location a month or so ago and moved everyone to UK. That probably isn't helping your situation. I ended up getting a refund because I already had 2 VPS in UK with someone else. I was sorry to see that DE server go...

Thanked by 1CraigWatson
  • @joereid said:
    I had a wonderful experience in their Germany location, server was great. But then they closed that location a month or so ago and moved everyone to UK. That probably isn't helping your situation. I ended up getting a refund because I already had 2 VPS in UK with someone else. I was sorry to see that DE server go...

That actually makes a lot of sense as I only started having major problems in the last few months, their UK hardware is now more than likely hugely overcommitted after taking in all of their German customers!

Sucks as they're losing customers (me being one of them), but hey!

• sinsin Member

I canceled my annual VPS with them early, they were terrible.

• JsonJson Member

I too was once their customer. There was this particular thread on LowEndBox that they had one of their first few promos on and everyone went crazy and vouched to say that they were super good. Great uptime, great performance and great friendly support. It went totally viral and everyone wanted a piece of their $19/yr 1GB VPS.

Not long after that, I had problems with the VPS being super slow. I couldnt even update CentOS. Downtime wasn't a big problem but then their tech support staff always said the same thing "This should be fixed now" when nothing has changed. And when you reply them, again they will say "This should be fixed now, try again?"

Nowadays for the same price point, you guys get other better options so I left them the moment my plan was up. Sorry WLS but you will have to do much better to ever gain my trust again.

• Anna_ParkerAnna_Parker Member
    edited August 2015

My UK VPS performance is... crappy, but OpenVPN works like a charm. For that price, good support it's OK. Also have shared hosting, which is also overloaded, but works. ;)

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • Just as an update, I've now been told that there was "abuse" taking place on the node, two days after someone told me that they have (direct quote from the ticket) ' increased the network speed for your VPS' and 'some tweak settings in the hostnode to improve it performance'.

Perhaps @Oxide can shed some light into the happenings here, as by BS meter is going nuts at this point - seems like excuse after excuse to me.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • sinsin Member

CraigWatson said: Just as an update, I've now been told that there was "abuse" taking place on the node, two days after someone told me that they have (direct quote from the ticket) ' increased the network speed for your VPS' and 'some tweak settings in the hostnode to improve it performance'.

I would cut your losses and find a new provider, they might love servers but they certainly don't love customers.