Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What topics would you guys like to see articles about?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What topics would you guys like to see articles about?

NickMNickM Member
edited November 2012 in General

I'm trying to get into writing at least 1 or 2 articles per week for my website. I'd like to cover topics that the Low End community is interested in. I'm willing to do How-Tos, reviews, pretty much any topic related to server administration or programming, really. So what would you guys like to see?

Comments

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited November 2012

Provider reviews, optimizations, squeezing things into low spec VPS - the commonly asked questions - VPN, databases, websites, blogs, etc...

• I wouldn't mind seeing some SSD reviews, server reviews, maybe an article about Enzyte would be nice. Do it Cnet style, short and to the point ;)

• And don't cheap out by just getting a bunch of eZine articles together...

• Illuminati

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@NickM write about things you are interested in, and know stuff about.

Asking random people what they want to know and trying to write an article for them -- it doesn't work.

• wanted to learn basic and most important task control panel does ( domain adding, email , sub domain ) from console so don't have to use it or later can create own script to automate those task.

• webhosting setup stuff

• fislefisle Member
    edited November 2012

@Taz said: Illuminati

This.

On a second thought, I'd also like to see articles about configuring everything to the max, getting the most out of the hardware.
    Some cross-platform programming tutorials would be nice also, I really need to focus on that more.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited November 2012
    1. Tutorials on Network Security (What you should do to maintain security) (I know a decent amount but I'm sure other people here would love a great article they can constantly link other people to)

2. Tutorials on MAINTAINING that Security (like constantly updating, etc.)

3. Talking about why Security is important (it seems like a ton of people's solutions are "I'll just do this now and take care of it later" and then come back crying when their VPS gets compromised)

4. Server Hardware - What's New/Benefit of Certain Hardware in comparison to other (Server Hardware has been changing, now its Xeon 5420s to E5s, while before it was others)

5. Preparations of Servers - What to do when you first get a server (do you first change SSH ports? Do you first install whatever you need? Do you update first? etc.)

6. Pictures of Cute Furry Animals - Just do it. People will love you.

7. Always be Excellent.

Edit: I Forgot a few more

1. Difference between server downtime and network downtime - And why it matters to know the difference. Seriously, I've seen so many "My server is down!" when its not the server but the network.

2. Difference/Explanation in how Networks are set up - Comparison between Standard Networks (1 router, several servers) to Redundant Networks (Several Routers, Several Servers) (with Diagrams) and other different types of networks (and the benefits/costs of each)

• NickMNickM Member
    edited November 2012

@rm_ said: @NickM write about things you are interested in, and know stuff about.

I look at this as not only an opportunity to share my existing knowledge, but to also gain knowledge. I don't mind researching something or trying to figure out how to do something before writing about it, as long as it's something that could be useful to me at some point. For example, when writing my latest article, I had to do some research about the various methods of checking for an integer in PHP worked - I didn't know the exact details of all of them.

Thanks for the great suggestions everyone! Keep 'em coming!

• craigbcraigb Member
    edited November 2012

@NickM tips for interpreting Unixbench (and also setting expectations of whats reasonable for 7USD or less) and the like, assessing network connectivity (mtr and beyond), ipv6 setup and use on a VPS and most importantly, stripping out crud (great example: http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/yes-you-can-run-18-static-sites-on-a-64mb-link-1-vps/ )

• Whatever you do, include diagrams. It may take more time, but explaining, say, the layout of a network is FAR easier, even for people who know no networking to understand.

• WhizzWrWhizzWr Member
    edited November 2012

@nickm something like those articles on LowEndFail. That site has not been updated for a while. :(

I was kidding. I'd love see tutorial to setup uncommon web application, e.g IRC Server/bouncer. Linux stuff such as compiling kernel on a VPS will be a plus.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Innovating software thingies. Things like Tahoe-LAFS, for example.

• 1. Tutorials on Network Security (What you should do to maintain security) (I know a decent amount but I'm sure other people here would love a great article they can constantly link other people to)
    2. Tutorials on MAINTAINING that Security (like constantly updating, etc.)

+1

• Practical things to do with IPv6. Many hosts will give include IPv4 and multiple IPv6. What the heck can you do with them--cool or useful?