Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Prometeus now offers SSD-based MySQL Offload
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Prometeus now offers SSD-based MySQL Offload

rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
edited November 2012 in General

Prometeus just became even more f*kken awesome :)

in the last months we were asked to provide a MySQL Offload Service so that the mysql databases can be run on a separate specialized box leaving more resources on your vps for the applications.

We are now ready to offer this service to our clients :-)

First let start with the specs of the first mysql server:

CPU: Xeon X5450
RAM: 16GB
DISKS: 4 x 256GB SSD
RAID: Hardware Raid10

Then the plan details:

Mysql: Percona 5.5
Web control panel: Virtualmin
Web mysql interface: phpMyAdmin
Users (in the form username.mainusername): unlimited
Bandwidth: unlimited
SSD storage: 2GB
Max concurrent connections per user: 100
Provisioning: Manual, 24H max
Price: €10 / year excluding VAT (if applicable)

^ Existing clients can also get a 50% discount.

Comments

• Yeah I also got their email, awesome offer :)

• Yup, I also receive that emails :)

• lbftlbft Member
    edited November 2012

I'm really pleased to see another provider offering offloaded MySQL, and at the €5/year it cost me as an existing client, I signed up immediately. However, I'd have preferred an SSD cached offer with more disk space.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@lbft said: I'm really pleased to see another provider offering offloaded MySQL, and at the €5/year it cost me as an existing client, I signed up immediately. However, I'd have preferred an SSD cached offer with more disk space.

Most database aren't that big but require good performances. My idea was to offer a service very affordable but of quality :-)

• @prometeus said: Most database aren't that big but require good performances. My idea was to offer a service very affordable but of quality :-)

And it looks like as you were able to do that. 2GB are more than fine, and I'm sure >90% of the people can live with that perfectly. :)

• test ip for this please, I want to check latency from my server :) (not hosted on prometeus)

• I'm using it now, and i love it
    It's fast, and 2GB is more then enough (currently using ~190mb for some databases)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

myoffload.prometeus.net is the "IP".

• how about postgresql?

• no sphinx module :(

• zserozsero Member
    edited November 2012

@lbft How could 2 GB not be enough for a database?

I love that it's pure SSD, that's the thing why SSD-s were invented for! Thanks for this offer, it's fantastic!

@zsero said: @lbft How could 2 GB not be enough for a database?

I have seen larger databases, saw one postgres of around 47 GB.
    But probably below 90% of the mysql databases on the internet are about 100-200 MB

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited November 2012

@Maounique said: I have seen larger databases, saw one postgres of around 47 GB.

But probably below 90% of the mysql databases on the internet are about 100-200 MB

+1. We've had to migrate/upgrade huge databases at one point and they were >100GB. Took days.

• I've worked on one larger than 100GB... one I'm working with now is over 300GB.

• bnmklbnmkl Member
    edited November 2012

@rm_: Prometeus just became even more f*kken awesome :)

Bump. :)

+1 for BuyVM too, as they seem to pave the way with some things.

• @Maounique said: myoffload.prometeus.net is the "IP".

Does it has any automatic backups? - daily/weekly/monthly..
    In case client some issue and records lost or deleted by mistake or wordpress hacked, can get back last weeks or last months data?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@Pats hopefully not as this would be a drag on performance. Do your own backups.

Prometeus general policy is that the user is responsible for the backups.
    In some cases we take backups for internal disaster recovery.
    This is why we offer offsite backup space for biz plans and there are plans to offer internal for most plans too.
    In some cases we take internal disaster recovery backups more often, in others less frequent in others none at all depending on many factors, in any case, the customer should take the backups for personal recovery. We did help so far everyone which needed some files from backups, but this has to be a really last resort solution, not to rely on it instead of own backups.

@Pats said: Does it has any automatic backups? - daily/weekly/monthly..

In case client some issue and records lost or deleted by mistake or wordpress hacked, can get back last weeks or last months data?

you can dump your db's from a vps using mysqldump -h xxxx -u xxxxx -pxxxx dbname >xxxx

(or setting automysqlbackup). :-)

The box itself is under CDP (r1soft) with 4 slots/day. This mean that in case of disaster we can perform a bare metal restore with data not older than 6 hours.

• @rm_ said: hopefully not as this would be a drag on performance. Do your own backups.

every user doing own backups.. its the same drag in performance in my opinion...

• PatsPats Member
    edited November 2012

@Maounique said: Prometeus general policy is that the user is responsible for the backups.

The policy is ok but i think since this is 'data only server' (like Biz server) and these days with cms etc. data becomes quite important, so if Prometeus can...

But if cannot then a suggestion: in the control panel there should be cron settings for user to set daily weekly etc. and FTP settings where user can put FTP server settings for auto scheduled dumping to the user's FTP server :)

@prometeus said: you can dump your db's from a vps using mysqldump -h xxxx -u xxxxx -pxxxx dbname >xxxx

(or setting automysqlbackup)

yeah Mr Sal, can do that but for that mysql has to be installed on that lowEndbox for mysqldump or automysqlbackup which will eat away my precious ram/hdd :P

@Pats said: yeah Mr Sal, can do that but for that mysql has to be installed on that lowEndbox for mysqldump or automysqlbackup which will eat away my precious ram/hdd :P

consider that even if we automysqlbackup the whole server, we can't handle selective restore :-)

Also the mysqldump utility is part of the client tools, which you already install to interact with the server :P

• Max concurrent connections per user: 100 - meaning for mysql user or account user?

• Since the remote mysql server is in Europe, would that cause problems for a web server in the US?

• To those who has done MySQL offloading in the past, was the performance boost very significant?

edited November 2012

@nocom said: Max concurrent connections per user: 100 - meaning for mysql user or account user?

Account user. You can create as many users for the mysql databases as you wish.

@NickBudi said: Since the remote mysql server is in Europe, would that cause problems for a web server in the US?

If the server is not in Prometeus "back yard" it will be a serious drag on the performance. You should only use it for backup/replication from time to time.

@jcaleb said: To those who has done MySQL offloading in the past, was the performance boost very significant?

It depends what "very significant" means...
    For a regular server with a blog or two hosted on a non-oversold storage, there will probably be no improvement.
    For a busy database (like on a forum with 30+ simultaneous visitors on a non-ssd server), even if not oversold, hosted within the same DC, there will be a serious boost, the more busy the database, the larger the improvement.
    There will be an actual decrease in performance if the server is not in the same DC, the further away and the busier the network to the other end or in the middle, the more the performance drag. You should only use this if you are hosted in the same DC or very close and you have a busy database. On another continent will only help as a backup and failover if the main db is down, but will be worse performance in most cases. Usually disk is much faster than the network. In this case the disks are very fact but the TCP overhead and the long wires will add some delay, if your current VPS is hosted on SSD, the improvement will probably be marginal, and in cases where you have a lot of IOPS for yourself, such as in Biz plans where density per server and array is low, there might be even a penalty.

edited November 2012

@Pats said: every user doing own backups.. its the same drag in performance in my opinion...

For example I backup my less important databases only every 3-5 days, if the hoster was doing this daily on their own, it would be just a waste of resources for everyone.

@NickBudi said: Since the remote mysql server is in Europe, would that cause problems for a web server in the US?

I tried using this from OVH (18ms ping), and the performance seemed worse than a DB hosted locally on the same OVH server even though it was just an Atom. For MySQL offload you do NOT want it to have even a 20ms+ ping to you, not to mention 80-100ms+! If your forum/blog/etc does 5 queries with 20ms to the DB, your page generation time just became 20+20+20+20+20ms=100ms higher.
    I'd say this is pretty much targetted at those who are in Europe or even in the Prometeus DC.

• @rm_ said: @Pats said: every user doing own backups.. its the same drag in performance in my opinion...

For example I backup my less important databases only every 3-5 days, if the hoster was doing this daily on their own, it would be just a waste of resources for everyone.

i just asked with the options, if the provider says weekly backups, i'm more than happy. And that'd be taking less resources if i go by your example of 3-5 days.

I was asking as i mentioned before, its a Data server, its like a Biz server. This would be the best as users know that if anything goes wrong they have at the max 7 days back data to fall back to. (with some provision ofcourse that users can dump/restore the data back without support ticket and if it cannot be done then a small per Restore cost)

As i suggested @Maounique , in the virtualmin control panel there should be cron settings for user to set daily/weekly/monthly etc. and FTP settings where user can put FTP server settings for auto scheduled dumping to the user's FTP server :)

edited November 2012

@Pats said: if the provider says weekly backups, i'm more than happy. And that'd be taking less resources if i go by your example of 3-5 days.

I would STILL also do mine every 3-5 days, because it is insane to solely rely on provider-made backups.

• @rm_ said: If your forum/blog/etc does 5 queries with 20ms to the DB, your page generation time just became 20+20+20+20+20ms=100ms higher.

Sounds like a coding problem to me. Most requests should be batched into compiled statements or the like and sent/received in 1 go.