Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Formal Linux Networking Training
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Formal Linux Networking Training

We have a new guy coming to our organization that is lacking in the networking environment. One though is to send him off to some sort of bootcamp here in the States instead of letting him sweat it out learning through trial & error like I always have too.... Can anyone suggest any such networking training that actually is fairly in-depth?

It would need to cover all the biggies like: OSI layers, to binary sieves, netmasks, CIDR understanding, DHCP functionality, Different types of VPNs, VLANS, etc. etc.

Any recommendations of different providers that actually have something decent?

• Thanks

Comments

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited August 2015

Find a entry level Cisco boot camp and send him to that. It is going to cost you a pretty penny, but usually the week long CCNA boot camps cover a lot of this information and give you some practical experience. I am not aware of many other options that are hands on like Cisco's boot camps. Red Hat may have a network level training course for their certs, but I am not sure if they have any brick and mortar type training locations (they just give you the information and you work to learn it and go take the cert).

Maybe some others will have some more suggestions?

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• jhjh Member

The Cisco course is widely recognised and has a good reputation but that might be overkill. If it's just the things you mentioned that undergraduate Computer Science lecture slides would be a good place to start.

• Thanks for the CCNA plug. We too considered that first but we were thinking of something more Linux / Microtik specific.

Any thoughts on the CompTIA Network+ training? Seems like a good place to start and a whole lot cheaper than the Cisco stuff.