Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Plex help. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Plex help.

2»

Comments

• draziloxdrazilox Member
    edited August 2015

TarZZ92 said: for some time 6 months maybe. the server i can give you has the 4930k (rather than the E5's they use) and its set for cancel on 26th so be quick if you are interested.

Thanks! PM'd you.

@netomx said:
    I meant offers. I got a i3 with 1TB and 4 (or 8?) GB of RAM for 12 euros/m

You're probably talking about this? In the topic you said you were going to use it for Plex. How has it been?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

drazilox said: You're probably talking about this? I

That. Wonderful!

• @netomx

It performs terribly certainly bad for plex http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/search?q=i3+530

@TarZZ92 said:
    netomx

It performs terribly certainly bad for plex http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/search?q=i3+530

Works for 2 streams of 1080 transcoded

• netomx said: Works for 2 streams of 1080 transcoded

not something i would expect. looking at some of those scores it performs similiar to a core 2 duo.

is this something you are using yourself? what output rate are you set at?

edited August 2015

@TarZZ92 said:

Yes, for my family only. It is set to "original" and I only download 1080 versions

Edit: I mean rip my own blurays

Thanked by 2TarZZ92 hostnoob
  • netomx said: I only download 1080 versions

Thanked by 2netomx hostnoob
  • Then "rip" MP4 content from now on. Just slowly keep rebuilding your library. It's not that hard.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @doughnet said:
    Then "rip" MP4 content from now on. Just slowly keep rebuilding your library. It's not that hard.

By hardcoding the subtitles, do you mean basically burning them in? That wouldn't work, since I need to be able to switch the language or turn them off if needed.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Can anyone recommend a minimum VPS configuration to support streaming and no transcoding? i.e. Unsupported appstore channels.

• @TarZZ92 said:

Do they allow bring your own licence?

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@joeyf said:
    Can anyone recommend a minimum VPS configuration to support streaming and no transcoding? i.e. Unsupported appstore channels.

I had Plex working on a Crissic $15/year vps before I let it expire.

• Gerrard8 said: Do they allow bring your own licence?

they do not "support" it. you can however install it manually via the rescue system providing you have a virtio image (not iso but hdd image)

• mikho said: I had Plex working on a Crissic $15/year vps before I let it expire.

Thanks, was that the Christmas special? I will use that as a minimum guideline if it performed adequately.

• joeyf said: I will use that as a minimum guideline if it performed adequately.

Consider this was probably WITHOUT transcoding.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@joeyf said:

This was almost a year ago. Can't remember the exact date.
    Think it was a 512mb ram, 100gb disk.

• TarZZ92 said: Consider this was probably WITHOUT transcoding.

Absolutely, not interested in transcoding.

• joeyfjoeyf Member
    edited August 2015

mikho said: This was almost a year ago. Can't remember the exact date.

Think it was a 512mb ram, 100gb disk.

Thanks. Can probably get by with much less disk. I have no media library that I wish to store or connect to.

• @joeyf I've installed it on a 512MB OpenVZ box running Debian without issues (no transcoding). Just be careful about the audio transcoding, that can be screwy and crank up CPU usage - even something as small as a source file with 5.1 audio streaming to a stereo device. Make sure you're streaming to something that can handle the formats with direct play.

But yeah, the specs are pretty minimal. Just get a cheap box with a good connection to you since you're doing direct play on X GB files.

• @netomx said:
    Edit: I mean rip my own blurays

"Linux ISOs" come in 1080p now??

Thanked by 1netomx

@hostnoob said:
    "Linux ISOs" come in 1080p now??

Mostly :p