Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

anyone ever buy a SSD model @ soyoustart and gotten ECC ram ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

anyone ever buy a SSD model @ soyoustart and gotten ECC ram ?

I know it is potluck on the hard drive models, sometimes you get ECC even if it is not listed as ECC

But just curious if anyone has ever gotten ECC on a model with SSD ?

Cannot believe in 2015 they still sell servers with non-ECC for non-gamer use, why even bother selling mirrored hard drives if you database has a chance of corrupting.

Comments

• mosan7763mosan7763 Member
    edited August 2015

because their servers are often used for non-critical things. you get what you pay for.

Thanked by 1Maximum_VPS
  • MrXMrX Member

Anyone ever get a Ferrari with their $3 dedicated server? It's 2015, dagnabbit.

• @MrX said:
    Anyone ever get a Ferrari with their $3 dedicated server? It's 2015, dagnabbit.

You consider ECC a Ferrari?

A quick look on google shopping shows ECC memory is only about 50% more in cost, $300 for 32gb vs $200 for non-ECC

So $100 over a few years of server lease costs them what?

And then they can recycle the ram like they do to lower models or kimsufi.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2015

Guess why companies offering professional machines happen to be more expensive than OVH?

You get what you pay for.

Thanked by 1Maximum_VPS
  • boerndboernd Member
    edited August 2015

You can also get servers with ECC ram at OVH if you pay more.

Thanked by 1Maximum_VPS
    edited August 2015

@boernd said:
    You can also get servers with ECC ram at OVH if you pay more.

You missed my point. I'm just finishing emergency migration of a Customer from OVH pro series with SAS drives after controller failure that wasn't fixed for more than 48 hours already and still counting. You still get what you pay for with OVH.

Besides, he is complayning about SYS, I understand.

• @Clouvider said:
    Guess why companies offering professional machines happen to be more expensive than OVH?

You get what you pay for.

Is this WHT now? ;-)

• jhjh Member
    edited August 2015

Want better hardware? Pay for it. SYS is doing low budget customers a favour.

• wwwcom said: A quick look on google shopping shows ECC memory is only about 50% more in cost, $300 for 32gb vs $200 for non-ECC

Keep in mind for ECC you need other CPUs which are also 50%+ expensive.

Thanked by 1Maximum_VPS
  • @wwwcom said:
    A quick look on google shopping shows ECC memory is only about 50% more in cost, > $300 for 32gb vs $200 for non-ECC

You also need cpus that can support it which costs like 50% more too..

So a quick suggestion would be to pay 100-150% more and go with a provider that can provide ECC memory! Who would have thought!!??!!!

Thanked by 1Maximum_VPS
  • @William said:

Are people missing my point that SoYouStart delivers the hard drive versions of their machines with ECC all the time? The CPUs they use are Xeons with ECC capable motherboards too.

I think they just use what they have around.

We have half a dozen E3-SAT-2 over the years with ECC

The SSD machines have the same CPU listed but I've never heard of someone getting a SSD from SYS with ECC which is why I start this thread every year but apparently people who don't even buy SYS/SSD just like to complain...

And yes you can get ECC guaranteed from the OVH side - for twice the price - which is dumb for a $100 part.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2015

Whoever runs THAT kind of database apps, should consider something with better support, not only better hardware.
    SYS may be getting SOME support, compared with none for KS, but you still need quick reaction and people on the ball when something happens, with OVH you may get that, but it is far from guaranteed, especially on their low-end brands. It may take days before someone even acknowledges the problem.

Thanked by 1Maximum_VPS
  • jhadley said: SYS is doing low budget customers a favour.

No it is not. It is a business.

• Yeah, it's "get what you pay for". It seems they've deliberately laid out their products for any 'enterprise class' projects to be using OVH @ £64.99 and upwards or thereabouts.

OP FWIW I bought a SYS 3x120GB SSD two weeks ago, no ECC.

dmidecode -t 17
    dmidecode 2.12
    SMBIOS 2.7 present.

Handle 0x0029, DMI type 17, 34 bytes
    Memory Device
        Array Handle: 0x0026
        Error Information Handle: No Error
        Total Width: 64 bits
        Data Width: 64 bits

Thanked by 1wwwcom
  • @Maounique said:
    Whoever runs THAT kind of database apps, should consider something with better support, not only better hardware.

When you say "better support" - do you mean something outside of hardware replacement? Because that is all I count on with OVH from both their name brand side and the SYS side. I treat anything from OVH brands as "bare metal" servers with nothing but hardware replacement support, I think it would be foolish otherwise.

I've yet to have a hardware failure on the SYS side but on the OVH side they are happy to schedule exact day/time replacement of things like hard drives when I ask.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2015

wwwcom said: I've yet to have a hardware failure on the SYS side but on the OVH side they are happy to schedule exact day/time replacement of things like hard drives when I ask.

As many people said in many places, that is not the problem, but the predictability. You can never be sure OVH will not terminate your account, for any reason they can think of, or pretend they do not understand the request, or say there is nothing wrong with the hw, etc. You can be lucky and be done immediately, or you can be still down after 2 days ticketing back and forth if not cut off just for the heck of it.
    If you run a very sensitive application you have to think replication and CDP in at least 2 different places with 2 different good providers, or 3 places with no matter what kind of providers as long as the performance is acceptable when it is up.

• Maybe I've been spoiled at OVH/SYS never had these problems.
    At one point we had two dozen servers with them but we've scaled down and still get treated okay.

So in the $50 ballpark in north america with SSD, where else are people looking?

dacentec
    datashack
    quickpacket
    oneprovider
    joesdatacenter

who else? Because none of those are close to SYS hardware level.

I just want ECC with SSD, strange that is so much to ask for in 2015 from providers...

@wwwcom said:
    I just want ECC with SSD, strange that is so much to ask for in 2015 from providers...

It's not. It's just you aren't willing to pay for it, that is your problem.

Thanked by 2Maounique Frecyboy